PDA

View Full Version : Make & Model of yellow Project Childsafe Locks?

eltee
11-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Those freebie yellow locks that are marked "Project Childsafe" do not show a maker or model. The handout that comes with each one states, "This is a California Dept. of Justice-approved safety device."

Does anyone know the maker / model or what to put on the DROS to verify that an approved lock was provided??

Mssr. Eleganté
11-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Does anyone know the maker / model or what to put on the DROS to verify that an approved lock was provided??

The CalDOJ "Roster of Handgun Safety Devices" lists the maker as "Project Child Safe" and then lists several models...

http://safetydevice.doj.ca.gov/dsearch2.asp

107 China
AB106B China
CLA15
CLD-14 (Steel Key)
DCDBA15
GL710-NSSF Taiwan R.O.C.

eltee
11-07-2009, 1:51 PM
Thanks...

tenpercentfirearms
11-09-2009, 6:30 AM
Look on the lock. I have some 107 Chinas and some GL 710 NSSFs.

Thanks to the Taft PD I haven't sold a gun lock in well over two years. I give them out like candy. I don't even use the safe affidavit unless they are buying multiple long guns. Sometimes if I can tell they could care less about a lock, I will take their lock that came with it and ask to trade it out so I don't have to open the stupid thing up and look at the paper and confirm it is listed. I have the Project Childsafe GL710 NSSF memorized. 99% of guys don't care.

I always tell them to take the free locks home with them and bring them back to me when they come see me again. Some day when I run out of freebies, I will start a trade in program. I won't ever use the model number they bring in for their transaction. I will always give them a lock with their purchase.

So they bring in a DAC 551, I give them a Regal whatever. They are not using the DAC for the transaction, so I won't need a 30 day receipt. I am giving them a Regal with the gun purchase. No lock to trade, then it is back to buying them for $7.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-10-2009, 2:54 AM
Look on the lock.

So are those model numbers I listed actually stamped into the lock metal? Eltee says the locks do not show a model number on them, but I'm guessing that the model number is stamped too small or vaguely to look like an actual model number unless you know what you are looking for. I have a friend who stores pallets full of the Project Childsafe locks in his warehouse here in San Francisco for the NSSF and all of the boxes (heavy) have numbers and letters stenciled all over them. Are the model numbers on the lock or just on the boxes they come in?

Cokebottle
11-10-2009, 4:18 AM
If you ever get overstock on the cable locks for semi-autos, check with some of the local motorcycle/ATV shops. Riders who don't own guns and aren't aware of them eat those things up for use as helmet locks. Those of us who own guns will keep the first one or two, then start giving them to friends... but someone who isn't aware that they are provided with new guns will pay as much as $20 or $30 for them!

eltee
11-10-2009, 8:32 AM
The locks have numbers stamped into them (#107) and stenciled on them (# 4603) and the word "China" but no maker. The yellow cover on the lock body says, "Project Childsafe" and "Not for Resale." I suspect listing them as "Project Childsafe # 107" would suffice.

The come in a clear plastic bag (no box) that includes the key and an informational sheet wherein it states that the lock is Calif. DOJ approved as a safety device.

CSACANNONEER
11-10-2009, 8:58 AM
Look on the lock. I have some 107 Chinas and some GL 710 NSSFs.

Thanks to the Taft PD I haven't sold a gun lock in well over two years. I give them out like candy. I don't even use the safe affidavit unless they are buying multiple long guns. Sometimes if I can tell they could care less about a lock, I will take their lock that came with it and ask to trade it out so I don't have to open the stupid thing up and look at the paper and confirm it is listed. I have the Project Childsafe GL710 NSSF memorized. 99% of guys don't care.

I always tell them to take the free locks home with them and bring them back to me when they come see me again. Some day when I run out of freebies, I will start a trade in program. I won't ever use the model number they bring in for their transaction. I will always give them a lock with their purchase.

So they bring in a DAC 551, I give them a Regal whatever. They are not using the DAC for the transaction, so I won't need a 30 day receipt. I am giving them a Regal with the gun purchase. No lock to trade, then it is back to buying them for $7.

The sign of a honest shop! I refuse to shop at any store which insists on selling me a lock for 3X MSRP just so they can make a few extra bucks. (I'd pay the $7 but not the +$20 which some shops charge for cheap cable locks.) 10% and Fort Courage are the two shop that I am aware of which use these locks like they were intended to be used!

tenpercentfirearms
11-10-2009, 6:08 PM
The locks have numbers stamped into them (#107) and stenciled on them (# 4603) and the word "China" but no maker. The yellow cover on the lock body says, "Project Childsafe" and "Not for Resale." I suspect listing them as "Project Childsafe # 107" would suffice.

The come in a clear plastic bag (no box) that includes the key and an informational sheet wherein it states that the lock is Calif. DOJ approved as a safety device.

Your paperwork should say "Project Childsafe 107 China" I believe. Double check the list.

The sign of a honest shop! I refuse to shop at any store which insists on selling me a lock for 3X MSRP just so they can make a few extra bucks. (I'd pay the $7 but not the +$20 which some shops charge for cheap cable locks.) 10% and Fort Courage are the two shop that I am aware of which use these locks like they were intended to be used!

Thanks CSACANNONEER, that is why we do it the way we do it. Going to a gun shop shouldn't be a hassle. It should be a pleasant experience that makes you want to return.