PDA

View Full Version : Support for stricter gun laws at an all time low (2009) ..really Not in CA

YoungGun2
11-07-2009, 12:37 AM
This may true in other states, but as for here in soon to be (Australia) it's not looking so good. (I'm mean california for the slow ones):confused:...

Support for stricter gun laws is at an all time low yet we have the most anti-gun President in history. News like this really makes me happy. I have a feeling Mr. Obama, a.k.a. the Gun Salesman of the Year, actually helped to create more supporters for guns. Good work!

http://concealedcarryholsters.org/support-for-stricter-gun-laws-at-an-all-time-low-2009/

CaliforniaCarry
11-07-2009, 1:16 AM
Things will be getting better around here soon ;)

Also, I actually don't think those numbers are very far-fetched even in CA. Everybody I talk to, including many lefties (and I don't mean left-handed), seems to think that we don't need more gun laws in CA.

I even talked with one girl who was pretty rabidly anti-gun. She was telling me all about how in CA we needed to introduce waiting periods, assault weapons bans, and limits on the number of handguns you can buy in a year. When I explained that we already have all of those, she basically said "then it's time to focus on other issues". As much as I disagree with her logic, it's nice to know that even some of the antis think we might have enough gun laws in this state already.

That's not to say we shouldn't be vigilant. Surely, the more visible anti-gunners don't want to stop until they have even confiscated our single-shot .22 target pistols. It's well known, however, that they don't tend to represent the views of the general populace.

I can hardly wait to see the wonderful terror that is unleashed upon this state's gun laws once McDonald is inevitably decided in our favor. We have the most ridiculous and restrictive gun laws in the nation. They'll fall that much harder and it will be that much more memorable of a victory :43:

RRangel
11-07-2009, 6:17 AM
The push for firearm restrictions is from the top down. Hard left politicians especially those like Assemblyman Kevin De Leon are attempting to remove the very liberty that made this country a success. All at the taxpayers expense.

pullnshoot25
11-07-2009, 5:43 PM
Gun support down here at UCSD is unusually high as well. The most random people are pro-gun. I talk about it all the time while driving the shuttles and nearly EVERYONE I talk to actually "GETS IT." It is incredible and I always have fun talking about it. :)

sholling
11-07-2009, 6:29 PM
The biggest problem is the all out disinformation campaign that the media and the California uneducation system have been running since the 70s. If you've ever read the satirical Journalist's Guide to Gun Violence Coverage (http://www.rkba.org/comment/brown/journalguide.html) you'll recognize much of what you see on TV news. During a time of particularly heavy handed coverage back in the 90s I had the pleasure of sending a letter to the news directors of all of the LA TV stations congratulating them for near 100% compliance with the "guidelines" - which I included in full. Including the satire comment at the bottom. In other words I rubbed their noses in their own prejudices and ethical lapses. ;)

Of course that was back before they lost all shame.

Mike d'Ocla
11-08-2009, 6:44 AM
My sense is that, as with all political matters, public opinions and lawmaking about firearms will continue to swing from one polar extreme to the other.

It may be looking favorable now in general for right-to-carry advocates. Once some small legal changes have been made to rationalize gun laws, then there will be a reaction and things will start to swing the other way again.

Sorry to disturb all those guntoting fantasies.

YoungGun2
11-09-2009, 2:44 PM
I hate to agree with you, but that sounds about right...

My sense is that, as with all political matters, public opinions and lawmaking about firearms will continue to swing from one polar extreme to the other.

It may be looking favorable now in general for right-to-carry advocates. Once some small legal changes have been made to rationalize gun laws, then there will be a reaction and things will start to swing the other way again.

RRangel
11-09-2009, 3:04 PM

I tend to disagree because the media's position was different in the not so distant past. This is the information age. We're also in the age of the Heller ruling. Today things have changed because the anti's mainstream media is being challenged by a competitive alternative. There's a new argument in town.

There are collective nationwide experiences like the fallacy of blaming shall issue CCW of blood in the streets when today that's obviously not true. Don't forget peer reviewed research that has shown the erroneous logic of gun control that has had plenty of time to sink in. The Federal "assault weapon" ban went bye bye with a wimper and nothing to show for it safety wise.

Don't forget California's Off List Lower situation. There a now reports of these OLL numbering in the hundreds of thousands in our state and increasing everyday. Situations like this also make for very informed and vigilant citizens.