PDA

View Full Version : Refinish Synthetic Stock?

nic
11-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Hi All-
I am soon to be building up a Cali-compliant FAL from an STG58 kit, and I have a question. I am going to swap out the handguards and pistol grip for different furniture, but will most likely keep the original STG58 buttstock. It's made of some kind of synthetic, and has a fair amount of scratches on it. Nothing too deep, looks mostly like surface scratches, kind of like this:

http://www.gunthings.com/stgbutt1.jpg

I would like to restore the buttstock to look like new, but I'm not sure how to best approach refinishing a plastic stock. I was thinking perhaps 180 or 220 grit sandpaper and then repainting it. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
-Nic

Rob454
11-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Why dont you try and polish it with a buffer wheel. There are products out there strictly designed to remove scratches from plastics. You can always wet sand it with 1500-2000 grit and then polish it with a soft cloth. If you use paint you should use a primer that has a flex agent or paint thats designed forplastic. 220 grit is too rough andit will leave the surface rough

nic
11-07-2009, 9:47 AM
Thanks for the advice, Rob!

Dirtbiker
11-07-2009, 9:57 AM
I'd try scotchbright. Super fine sand paper will clog really fast with plastic.

DREADNOUGHT78
11-07-2009, 11:13 AM
I'd try scotchbright. Super fine sand paper will clog really fast with plastic.

^This! Use a red pad course 3M brand Scotch-Brite most Automotive paint suppliers will sell you a single pad for around $1.50. As for using primer on the stock I would NOT do this as no matter what paint used it will scratch off and using a gray primer will only show through the scratches. If you scuff the black and apply a light adhesion promoter (BULLDOG makes a cheap aerosol version) if the stock scratches you will only see the black underneath.

Pvt. Cowboy
11-07-2009, 2:11 PM
I refinished the black synthetic stock on a scratched and hazy Armalite AR-7 using this kit:

http://www.properautocare.com/blbapllepoki.html

You'll need a cordless/electric drill for this.