PDA

View Full Version : PMC Ammo

hawk84
11-06-2009, 8:58 PM
Ok, I went to the range today to zero in some rifles

I have a 16" Heavy Barrel Bushmaster upper, using a VX-II scope 3-9x40

I was grouping about 2"at 100 yards

now what throws me, some boxes of ammo seemed to have different POI then others. I had one that grouped still about 2" but was 4" high

is this just not very good ammo?

hawk84
11-06-2009, 9:07 PM
here is a picture of one of the 10shot groups, the high shot was definitely me, and so was the far left

the target was upside down while i was putting holes in it, and at the time, i was using the scope

the M&P is just there for ****s and giggles, and the finish looks WAY better then it does in the picture(uneven oil)

killshot44
11-06-2009, 9:16 PM
What ammo make? Were all 10 from the same box/lot? Could it be the rifle just sat down in the rest a bit different from group to group?

hawk84
11-06-2009, 9:21 PM
Ammo was PMC Bronze 55 Gr FMJ-BT

those 10 shots were from the same box, but after that I opened a different box of the same stuff, and immediately shot a 10 shot group about the same size 4" high

my "rest" was a cardboard box about 6" per side

killshot44
11-06-2009, 9:29 PM
Without knowing your cardboard box cutting skills, I'd guess it might be the rest.

hawk84
11-06-2009, 9:33 PM
so you think with a better rest I could get signifigantly better groups? the last time i shot it i was getting slightly smaller groups using rem UMC and my "rest" was just the magazine

Really I just wanted to zero the thing, so that i could shoot standing and have a prayer at hitting what i was aiming at.

Want to do the same thing with the irons which were hitting high, I raised the front post when i cleaned it

I really want to compare it to my SAR but apparently the wolf i bought was steel core and they wouldn't let me shoot it (understandibly)

AndrewMendez
11-06-2009, 9:41 PM
If you reload your ammo you could get some significantly better results!

Jwood562
11-06-2009, 9:58 PM
you need a better shooting stance or rest to zero in. SHoot it prone at least. sandbags?

Hova
11-06-2009, 10:23 PM
I am currently working my way through a 1K round case of that same PMC. Its ok, the price was right at the last cow palace gun show so I jumped on it. I'm not really much of a precision shooter so bronze pmc does the job for me

Barney Gumble
11-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Are you 100% sure it wasn't the scope? I see that you took it off for your picture. If you're constantly putting it on and removing it, it's possible that it came loose. Even a tiny bit would make a difference.

Also keep in mind this is not match ammo. It's decent stuff but it's pretty much the cheapest you can get in a brass case.

hawk84
11-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Are you 100% sure it wasn't the scope? I see that you took it off for your picture. If you're constantly putting it on and removing it, it's possible that it came loose. Even a tiny bit would make a difference.

Also keep in mind this is not match ammo. It's decent stuff but it's pretty much the cheapest you can get in a brass case.

this was prior to removing the scope, and the scope was on solid

Timmay
11-07-2009, 6:48 AM
PMC shoots ok for me through my Larue upper. I generally pick some up if I see it available for the right price. What other ammo have you shot through that AR to compare with?

3GunFunShooter
11-07-2009, 6:57 AM
PMC shoots 1" at 100 yds. out of my 18" JP. A cardboard box is not a rest.

Hoop
11-07-2009, 7:34 AM
PMC shoots 1" at 100 yds. out of my 18" JP. A cardboard box is not a rest.

Ditto, I get a solid 1.-1.5" out of it from my 20" RRA all day long. It's all I shoot out of it.

It is possible the OP got a bad batch or something.

bombadillo
11-07-2009, 8:19 AM
Either PMC or centurion I don't remember, but 55gr FMJ from the box can do pretty decent.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/bombadillo08/chipmunk001-4.jpg

socomIInato
11-07-2009, 9:10 AM
dump the cardboard box and use a real rifle rest and see what groups you get after that. only way to tell is to eliminate variables.

B Strong
11-07-2009, 9:17 AM
so you think with a better rest I could get signifigantly better groups? the last time i shot it i was getting slightly smaller groups using rem UMC and my "rest" was just the magazine

Really I just wanted to zero the thing, so that i could shoot standing and have a prayer at hitting what i was aiming at.

Want to do the same thing with the irons which were hitting high, I raised the front post when i cleaned it

I really want to compare it to my SAR but apparently the wolf i bought was steel core and they wouldn't let me shoot it (understandibly)

Use a proper rest.

Consistent group but higher/lower POI say's the rest and/or technique is inconsistent.

Trendkill
11-07-2009, 9:36 AM
Gotta love that MP pistol.....