PDA

View Full Version : 338 LM rifles

edward
11-06-2009, 6:11 PM
Hey calgunners.

I'm starting to plan for the future purchase of 338 chambered bolt gun. There's a few conventional choices out there, but from what I gather there are several common (or fairly common) 338 LM rifles out there today.

I've seen the Sako TRG-42, the Blazer Tac 2, the Armalite AR-30, the Barrett 98B, Remington 700's in HS Precision or AICS chassis' and the Desert Tactical SRS.

The application would be long range target shooting out to maybe 1500 yards. What I would like to know is which of these should I have my eye on more than the others? I like the uniqueness of the DT SRS, I've been looking into it quite a bit along with the 98B, and people seem to have nothing but good things to say about both. My only experience though has been with conventional bolt guns like the R700.

Whichever I wind up getting its going to be paired with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X50mm scope.

Thanks in advance.

blackrifle242
11-06-2009, 7:50 PM
The 98B is a nice gun but the price tag has kept me away. For the price of it you can have a DT SRS in two calibers. I have been looking at Desert Tactical for a while and I know Riflegear has one in stock. Going to go and check it out this week. I'm not a fan of the TRG. For the price a Rem 700 MLR would be a good bet. Can never go wrong with a 700. By the time you stick an AICS on it, you might as well spend the extra money and get a DT. Good luck with your purchase.

badreligion
11-06-2009, 8:09 PM
I believe Uncle Pauls in Ventura has a DT SRS in black in stock. The last tme I was there they did. After fingering it for awile I decided that I would have to have one when I got a few other gun projects out of the way. What really appeals to me is that you can convert the rifle from one caliber to another with several differnt barrel lengths. The one at Uncle Pauls was a 338 LM with 24" barrel and Muzzel Break that was the same size as a 16" M4ergy they had sitting next to it. As a small package it presents very well, very natural and comfortable to hold, and has a sweet trigger.

rambo
11-06-2009, 8:15 PM
i have a sig sauer blaser and i love it. it is heavy and exspensive to feed. deadly acurate out of the box. If i had it to do over i might get something cheaper to shoot and more availible the new barret 416 seems to be availible every where i go for less than 338lm.

blackrifle242
11-06-2009, 8:22 PM
I don't know how much they are in Ca but the chassis is $2560.00 online and the .338LM kit is $1625.00. I love the fact that you can change out the barrel and bolt to four different calibers (.338LM,.308,.300 and .243),The last rifle you will ever need.

dfletcher
11-06-2009, 8:25 PM
Hey calgunners.

I'm starting to plan for the future purchase of 338 chambered bolt gun. There's a few conventional choices out there, but from what I gather there are several common (or fairly common) 338 LM rifles out there today.

I've seen the Sako TRG-42, the Blazer Tac 2, the Armalite AR-30, the Barrett 98B, Remington 700's in HS Precision or AICS chassis' and the Desert Tactical SRS.

The application would be long range target shooting out to maybe 1500 yards. What I would like to know is which of these should I have my eye on more than the others? I like the uniqueness of the DT SRS, I've been looking into it quite a bit along with the 98B, and people seem to have nothing but good things to say about both. My only experience though has been with conventional bolt guns like the R700.

Whichever I wind up getting its going to be paired with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X50mm scope.

Thanks in advance.

I've not spotted a Rem 700 in 338 LM, but I know they're out there. Don't think you can go wrong with that choice. I have the AR30 in 338 LM, fine gun and all. No recoil due to the brake. Trigger can be adjusted nicely but the lock time is a bit sluggish.

You could look at the CZ HET, an HS Precision or an FN Herstel Mini Hecate for something different. The FN is a tough one to find but it's a great rifle. Folds into a small package and is top quality, much fun with subsonic loads.

Here's a link: http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn47-e.htm

blackrifle242
11-06-2009, 8:31 PM
The 700 mlr is pretty hard to come accross. I think they are only sold through Law Enforcement distributers. I called Rem on getting one and they said they are produced on a limited production from the custom shop. From what I know they are working on a back log. I have seen them online for about $1200.00 but was always a day late.

Rukus
11-06-2009, 9:06 PM
OC Armory had a SRS in .338 last time I was there...I had to work hard to not drool all over it.

C.G.
11-06-2009, 9:18 PM
If you have a spare AR lower you can get one of these .338 with match barrel for $2410:
http://www.ferret50.com/ordering.html

X-NewYawker
11-06-2009, 10:05 PM
DTA in 338 -- you can add a 308 barrel later and they ROCK! Why settle for a bolt action that looks like everyone else's?
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/L1000916.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/_MG_4585.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/DTA-group-9-26.jpg

edward
11-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Hmm, seems like the DT SRS is the way to go. Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

Jonathan Doe
11-07-2009, 1:32 PM
Remington has 700P with 338LM in their catalog I believe. Price is good also when you compare to other rifles. I am thinking about ordering one.

bridgeport
11-07-2009, 3:56 PM
I say go for the AR-30. Shoots as well or better than the others, costs less,
is very skeletal and workmanlike, use the money you save for the best loading components and optics available. You will not be disappointed.

X-NewYawker
11-07-2009, 6:47 PM
I say go for the AR-30. Shoots as well or better than the others, costs less,
is very skeletal and workmanlike, use the money you save for the best loading components and optics available. You will not be disappointed.

The AR-30 is nice (if they have one in stock) simple, strong, accurate -- but the SRS is a brilliant idea well executed. Nock and his boys MUST be rewarded with our support.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/IMG_0036.jpg

I mean, really --

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/IMG_6095.jpg

bomb_on_bus
11-08-2009, 8:39 AM
Remmy 700 .338 would be your cheapest route, while the 98B would be the most expensive for roughly the same accuracy.

I shot a 98B a couple of times at a local range and wasnt impressed with it at all. Once you factor in how accurate it is compared to other platforms like the Blazer tac-2 or the TRG-42. Both are achieving superior accuracy for being out of the box platforms.

One feature I would like to check out on Blazers tac rifles is the bolt assembly.

AICS AW platform would be the most expensive overall but worth the price considering build quality, out of the box accuracy, and variance in extreme weather conditions.

The bull pup market has seen some innovative additions to it over the last couple of years with the DT SRS being the leader of the pack in both affordability and variation in caliber.

Keppler KV and the german AMP DSR-1 would be your best bet for features and accuracy.

skkeeter
11-08-2009, 9:00 AM
I started off with the AR-30 because if was affordable at the time and got me started in large magnum calibers. I was really impressed with the AR-30's low recoil and it's initial accuracy. Now, I've since upgraded the the SRS and haven't looked back. Everything about it seems more functional and more balanced. The AR-30 is very long and really heavy as opposed the the lighter and more mobile SRS. The difference in accuracy is very apparent. The SRS shoots ragged hole groups in the right conditions. If you've got the money, go SRS. But if things are a bit tight, don't hesitate on an AR-30 as they are great rifles. I've been toying with the idea of selling mine, but not sure yet.
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq65/pablo4surf/IMGP1352.jpg