PDA

View Full Version : Just received this letter from my state assemblyman...

8-Ball
11-06-2009, 5:42 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=37229&stc=1&d=1257558121

Trendkill
11-06-2009, 5:54 PM
That guy is friggin awesome for what he said....I dont know his other beliefs...but that was cool.

Maltese Falcon
11-06-2009, 5:56 PM
Thank goodness there are still a few responsible intelligent legislators...Is he ex-armed services or LEO?

cr250chevy
11-06-2009, 6:12 PM
wow, nice to see that he is so open to show his support for the 2A!

bwiese
11-06-2009, 6:17 PM
Boy, he's getting a lotta mileage outta that letter.

But has he offered to carry/drive any bills for the NRA/CRPA team, or does he just like to send out feel-good staff-written letters?

Sentiment is nice, but I'm sure NRA's Ed Worley would love to see him offer to help.

Sure, we need No votes. And we need more of them.

But we need to run the ball too. Even minor incrmental inoffensive "tweak" bills can let us exploit them later - look how we took the single-shot Roster exemption and got AR pistols out of it.

I forsee a happy day where to really get gunnies' support they have to show they tried to run some passable bills. (And I'm not talking grandstanding "repeal all gun laws" crap that won't fly: we need to fight with finesse.)

Window_Seat
11-06-2009, 6:22 PM
One of very few in our state, they are scarce, and we need more pro-2A Lawmakers (not the "supporters" that the NPs claim to be). We have another year, and that's not long.

Erik.

sevensix2x51
11-06-2009, 6:37 PM

But has he offered to carry/drive any bills for the NRA/CRPA team, or does he just like to send out feel-good staff-written letters?

Sentiment is nice, but I'm sure NRA's Ed Worley would love to see him offer to help.

But we need to run the ball too. Even minor incrmental inoffensive "tweak" bills can let us exploit them later - look how we took the single-shot Roster exemption and got AR pistols out of it.

I forsee a happy day where to really get gunnies' support they have to show they tried to run some passable bills. (And I'm not talking grandstanding "repeal all gun laws" crap that won't fly: we need to fight with finesse.)

youre a smart man. im glad we have people like you on our side.

in line with the topic of the 77th district, christine rubin was at the nra member council meeting last month in santee, under the guise of being pro-gun. in a miserable failure, she indirectly stated she was against "shall issue," and would not introduce pro gun legislation into the assembly. it was both hilarious and really sad. she introduced herself as a helper of der schwarzenjerker, and a self-proclaimed "spin doctor." true to her word, she tried to back out of her statements, by putting a "spin" on them, and failed again. it was like watching a train wreck. she said that her father running a combine on a 1000 acre farm has more of a need to carry concealed than a businessman walking the streets of barrio logan or south central (ps- like the 'tenderloin' in san francisco, for you norcal folks), because it's "really dangerous" out on the farm.....
so long story short, i will not be voting for christine rubin in the upcoming election. :rolleyes:

8-Ball
11-07-2009, 8:14 AM

I just sent this reply off to Joel Anderson:

Dear Mr. Anderson,

I just forwarded the letter you sent to me concerning your position on the second amendment and gun laws in CA to a pro second amendment rights group known as calguns.net and calgunsfoundation.net.

They were happy to know that you vote no on gun control but then asked me to contact you to find out if you have ever proposed pro-gun legislation or legislation to have existing anti-gun laws removed in CA during your tenure as assemblyman.

You and I had a phone conversation about it once and I recall you saying that it was a non starter.

It is the feeling of the aforementioned groups that our support needs to go to those who actively pursue gun rights in California rather than those who simply vote no on anti-gun legislation.

We are in a fight for our very freedoms here and a legislator who is not aggressive will not further our cause, but merely delay the liberal gun control takeover.

I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on this matter that I may forward them to the statewide leaders of calguns.net and calgunsfoundation.net.

Sincerely,
Michael xxxxxx

TKM
11-07-2009, 8:31 AM
Well put.

Words are nice, but action is needed.

Warhawk014
11-07-2009, 8:32 AM
neat letter.

dantodd
11-07-2009, 8:52 AM
I just sent this reply off to Joel Anderson:

Dear Mr. Anderson,

I just forwarded the letter you sent to me concerning your position on the second amendment and gun laws in CA to a pro second amendment rights group known as calguns.net and calgunsfoundation.net.

They were happy to know that you vote no on gun control but then asked me to contact you to find out if you have ever proposed pro-gun legislation or legislation to have existing anti-gun laws removed in CA during your tenure as assemblyman.

You and I had a phone conversation about it once and I recall you saying that it was a non starter.

It is the feeling of the aforementioned groups that our support needs to go to those who actively pursue gun rights in California rather than those who simply vote no on anti-gun legislation.

We are in a fight for our very freedoms here and a legislator who is not aggressive will not further our cause, but merely delay the liberal gun control takeover.

I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on this matter that I may forward them to the statewide leaders of calguns.net and calgunsfoundation.net.

Sincerely,
Michael xxxxxx

Yikes! I'd hate to give the impression that "our support needs to go to those who actively pursue gun rights." Hell, our support needs to go to those who are moderately supportive as shooters etc. as well as to those who don't like guns but just feel that legislating them away is not the answer. While I agree that we should be more active in supporting those who are more active in supporting us we can't pitch so small a tent as to suggest that gunnies ONLY support those who introduce legislation helping us.

It seems a bit of a double standard to say, support JB for governor because he is more or less 2A friendly but Eff this guy because he won't carry our water. Trying to nudge him further into the "carry our water" camp is always nice but as long as he's voting our way there is no reason to piss him off or threaten him by saying essentially "I speak for California gunnies and we won't support you."

Seems like you're playing hardball where softball would by much more productive.

bodger
11-07-2009, 9:05 AM
Yikes! I'd hate to give the impression that "our support needs to go to those who actively pursue gun rights." Hell, our support needs to go to those who are moderately supportive as shooters etc. as well as to those who don't like guns but just feel that legislating them away is not the answer. While I agree that we should be more active in supporting those who are more active in supporting us we can't pitch so small a tent as to suggest that gunnies ONLY support those who introduce legislation helping us.

It seems a bit of a double standard to say, support JB for governor because he is more or less 2A friendly but Eff this guy because he won't carry our water. Trying to nudge him further into the "carry our water" camp is always nice but as long as he's voting our way there is no reason to piss him off or threaten him by saying essentially "I speak for California gunnies and we won't support you."

Seems like you're playing hardball where softball would by much more productive.

Our reach should exceed our grasp.
Maybe DanTodd is setting his sights on the top prize and working his way down.

It doesn't matter a hell of a lot anyway. Most of these politicians will introduce legislature and vote on bills that further their careers, appease their base constituency and get re-elected. And for most of them, that base ain't gunnies.

Cuddling up to Jerry Brown shows just how desperate we are in this state.
He's our best shot? From the looks of it, that's true. What choice to we have but to give Brown the benefit of the doubt, when you consider the other possible candidates.

But any gunny that casts his ballot for Brown had damn well better hold his or her nose whilst doing it.

dantodd
11-07-2009, 9:11 AM
Our reach should exceed our grasp.
Maybe DanTodd is setting his sights on the top prize and working his way down.

Absolutely. We should always work toward the best possible outcome. Unless there is someone else in his district who has a track record and has shown a willingness to do more than he has in voting to help us retain and expand our rights there's no reason to threaten him. Now, if there is a better candidate letting him know your intention to support his opposition and why is not a bad thing at all.

To use your example; take the prize nearest the top that you can. If there's another prize higher up then go for that one but don't ignore a nice prize close to the top simply because it isn't "the bestest ever."

8-Ball
11-07-2009, 9:12 AM

The problem with this state is that you think this is hardball...

mmartin
11-07-2009, 9:44 AM
nice response.

I might have added that we'll support him in the same spirit he supports 2A... happy to state our position, but unwilling to take any positive action to promote his interests.

- willing to say we support him, regardless of how it affects us in the eyes of those who think differently.
- willing to vote against recall efforts or other actions designed to limit his effectiveness in office
- NOT willing to take any possitive action to support him directly, such as contributing to his continued reelection.

although he does deserve credit for so boldly stating that opinion to ALL constituents (if that was a general letter, and not one targeted to only pro-2A contacts) given that it's likely to motivate some to work or contribute against him. he may have cost himself something as well as gained something with it.

megan

mmartin
11-07-2009, 9:50 AM
don't know what motivates this particular guy, but in general I've found this:
"that's good, and the truly meaningful action is this"
works better than:
"that's not good enough, you suck unless you can do at least this"

but then I'm female. and not a politician.

megan

Roadrunner
11-07-2009, 9:51 AM

I agree with Bill, the rhetoric is great, it certainly beats hearing a politician tell us that we are all insane for wanting to possess guns. But how many pro gun bills does he intend to introduce? Is he willing to sponsor a right to carry bill? What about sponsoring a bill that repeals the notorious 12031 law? We need politicians that will put the antigunners on the defensive and make them so busy that they don't have time to introduce new antigun bills.

8-Ball
11-07-2009, 9:55 AM
nice response.

I might have added that we'll support him in the same spirit he supports 2A... happy to state our position, but unwilling to take any positive action to promote his interests.

- willing to say we support him, regardless of how it affects us in the eyes of those who think differently.
- willing to vote against recall efforts or other actions designed to limit his effectiveness in office
- NOT willing to take any possitive action to support him directly, such as contributing to his continued reelection.

although he does deserve credit for so boldly stating that opinion to ALL constituents (if that was a general letter, and not one targeted to only pro-2A contacts) given that it's likely to motivate some to work or contribute against him. he may have cost himself something as well as gained something with it.

megan

Thanks for the thoughtful response, Megan.

I was hoping to convey that I appreciate his efforts thus far, but would like him to become more proactive by actually authoring a pro-gun bill.

Your wording is better... thanks.

mmartin
11-07-2009, 10:09 AM

went back and took another look at his letter after posting this, and I think this is a targeted letter, addressee is Mr. Michael, letter opens with Dear Mr,

soooo.... I think this letter is only sent to people who contact him on pro-2a.

doesn't take a lot of courage to sing to the choir. might entertain some risk if the letter gets public display and attention.

I was thinking "hey this guy has some cajones"... on second thought, maybe he does, but perhaps not as big as I had originally thought.

megan

Tankhatch
11-07-2009, 10:47 AM
What is his track record on 2A infringes ?

8-Ball
11-07-2009, 11:04 AM
quoting yourself on a CA based gun forum is a felony ...

went back and took another look at his letter after posting this, and I think this is a targeted letter, addressee is Mr. Michael, letter opens with Dear Mr,

soooo.... I think this letter is only sent to people who contact him on pro-2a.

doesn't take a lot of courage to sing to the choir. might entertain some risk if the letter gets public display and attention.

I was thinking "hey this guy has some cajones"... on second thought, maybe he does, but perhaps not as big as I had originally thought.

megan

mmartin
11-08-2009, 1:50 AM
quoting yourself on a CA based gun forum is a felony ...
:eek::eek::eek:
ha! just making it easy so you don't have to look back to see what the heck I'm talking about..
megan

Doug L
11-08-2009, 7:30 AM
...I'm sure NRA's Ed Worley would love to see him offer to help...

Who has Ed Worley's contact info.???
Let's forward the letter to Ed so he can contact the assemblyman and solicit his support in line with the sentiments expressed in the letter. Call his bluff, as it were, and see just how he responds.

...But we need to run the ball too. Even minor incrmental inoffensive "tweak" bills can let us exploit them later...

Absolutely!!!
Vive le incrementalism!!!
Has anything like this happened recently???

PonchoTA
11-08-2009, 11:07 AM
don't know what motivates this particular guy, but in general I've found this:
"that's good, and the truly meaningful action is this"
works better than:
"that's not good enough, you suck unless you can do at least this"

but then I'm female. and not a politician.

megan
Well put Megan! (and good, thoughtful posting makes no difference if you're a woman, or not! :thumbsup: )

:cheers2:
Cheers,
Paul