PDA

View Full Version : Fort Hood Shooter Used 'Cop Killer' Armor-Piercing Handgun

shutin
11-06-2009, 3:47 PM
http://www.opposingviews.com/articles/news-fort-hood-shooter-used-cop-killer-armor-piercing-handgun-r-1257543702

1) lulz @ "cop killer handgun"

2) brace for uproar, pointless bans, etc

3) Being educated gun owners, we all know that the armor-piercing variation of 5.7 ammo is only legal for military & LEOs. The legal version is a glorified .22! At Marin Firearms they have the P90 5.7 rifle and it seems like every gun shop I've been to has one dusty, never used "used" 5.7 pistol sitting around. Why would anyone care about a 5.7 gun if they don't have access to the armor-piercing ammo? There are much better guns out there! Please help me understand why the 5.7 is still around.

a1c
11-06-2009, 4:12 PM
I see a rush on Five-Sevens in a near future. :rolleyes:

Peter W Bush
11-06-2009, 4:17 PM
“an assault rifle that fits in your pocket.”

Ahahahahhahahaha. Makes be want to barf.

And BTW, people want Five SeveNs because everyone knows they fit 60,000 rounds of ammo that goes inside of your target and tumbles and explodes after its penetrated their body armor with its incendiary armor piercing penetrator.

No seriously though. For civilians without AP ammo, the five seven is pointless.

Regulus
11-06-2009, 4:23 PM
The article is by the Brady Campaign... What less could you expect?

bombadillo
11-06-2009, 4:24 PM
Not pointless, a freakin blast to shoot. Smokin fast round and great fun will come from shooting one of these things.

maschronic
11-06-2009, 4:36 PM
my wife and i have our own FN 5.7. mine is with the Glock 29 with TLR-1 and FN 5.7 with TLR-2. my wife owns kimber 1911, beretta tomcat 3032, FN 5.7, M1 Carbine, and M1 HRA NM M1 Garand.

the FN is a blast to shoot. the recoil is less than a 9mm. ammo is kind of hard to get, but it is a great handgun.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1669/img00019200909171359.jpg (http://img178.imageshack.us/i/img00019200909171359.jpg/)

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2043/img00020200909171406.jpg (http://img504.imageshack.us/i/img00020200909171406.jpg/)

Regulus
11-06-2009, 4:37 PM
In early 2005, Brady Campaign staff purchased the weapon at a Virginia gun dealer and test-fired it.The bullets successfully penetrated a police Kevlar vest.

Wow, who knew they bought guns? Thanks for your support :confused:

They didn't say they didn't like it, and they didn't say what they did with it after test firing it.

To: All Brady Campaign members/supporters

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence supports purchasing and firing guns.

The End

CSDGuy
11-06-2009, 5:17 PM
Wow, who knew they bought guns? Thanks for your support :confused:

They didn't say they didn't like it, and they didn't say what they did with it after test firing it.

To: All Brady Campaign members/supporters

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence supports purchasing and firing guns.

The EndIIRC, they also somehow got their hands on LEO/Mil AP ammo for that test... Regardless, the non-AP round can penetrate Level IIA vests. Given the(relatively low) level of protection that a Level IIA vest provides, I'd imagine that a lot of the more common calibers would defeat it.

Technical Ted
11-06-2009, 5:32 PM
Friend of mine sent me an e-mail about the Five Seven.

My reply:

The 5.7 cartridge is the same cartridge used by the Fabrique Nationale P90 Personal Defense Weapon. A submachinegun like firearm made famous in the Sci-Fi channel series Stagate SG-1.

It is arguably "the most deadly firearm in the Milky Way galaxy".

ldivinag
11-06-2009, 8:13 PM
so would we rename it the "alien-killer" bullet now????

friggin press...

jsmith8918
11-06-2009, 8:26 PM
After the 5.7 gets banned because of its ability to penetrate a vest, watch for the .22LR to be next as it can do the same on the lower-level vests as well. News media sound bite to stir up the uninformed and get them to shout with the mob: "Crucify" (the gun culture). They'll take any and every opportunity to make any and every gun appear to be morally reprehensible.

Nodda Duma
11-06-2009, 8:31 PM
7.62 Tokarev can penetrate a vest too!

-Jason

Purple K
11-06-2009, 8:41 PM
Stupid media pandering to stupid people. Any gun used to kill a Cop is a "Cop killer." Or, in this case a "Soldier Killer" and a "Civilian Killer." The old saying; Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers, has new meaning these days since they're being misled by the media.

joelukehart
11-07-2009, 12:03 AM
so would we rename it the "alien-killer" bullet now????

friggin press...

NO! LULAC and MECHA would denounce that as a racist bullet.

barrykay
11-07-2009, 9:30 AM
Stupid media pandering to stupid people. Any gun used to kill a Cop is a "Cop killer." Or, in this case a "Soldier Killer" and a "Civilian Killer." The old saying; Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers, has new meaning these days since they're being misled by the media.

You think that is bad. Get this. A gun store that has the FN 5.7 pistol in stock has pulled it off the shelf, raised the price to almost double and printed a sign that reads. "This gun is sure to become a collectors item." "This gun may soon be banned so buy it now and have a piece of history":eek:

Joe Collins
11-07-2009, 9:34 AM
You think that is bad. Get this. A gun store that has the FN 5.7 pistol in stock has pulled it off the shelf, raised the price to almost double and printed a sign that reads. "This gun is sure to become a collectors item." "This gun may soon be banned so buy it now and have a piece of history":eek:

You have got to be kidding?:confused:

wilit
11-07-2009, 9:36 AM
It can't be a cop killer, I mean after all, it's on the California Roster of Safe Handguns. They wouldn't approve a cop killer pistol would they?

GlennG31
11-07-2009, 10:01 AM

I can't believe this. That a gun store would stoop so low as to try to turn a profit from this horrible act of violence. But then again, I kind of expected this to happen sooner or later. Looks like sooner...

virulosity
11-07-2009, 11:32 AM
I hope no one ever uses the mosin that they bought from Big5 in a crime. Then the media will turn their attention to this super armor penetrating heat seeking incendiary high explosive panty-dropper.

jumbopanda
11-07-2009, 12:29 PM
To the idiot antis:

Kevlar vests are not hard to penetrate.

/thread

Cpl. Haas
11-07-2009, 1:21 PM
From the article:

A U.S. Senator and a U.S. Congressman urged a legal ban on civilian possession of the firearm, which began being referred to as the “cop killer gun.”

While no police officer has reportedly been killed by a suspect armed with a Five-Seven, it may now have taken the lives of U.S. soldiers.

So... that's a "cop killer" gun how? :rolleyes:

Lomic
11-07-2009, 1:24 PM
While no police officer has reportedly been killed by a suspect armed with a Five-Seven, it may now have taken the lives of U.S. soldiers.

This was pretty stupid, too. The "Cop Killer" handgun that has never killed a cop. Why? Because what low life that's shooting at cops is going to drop $1k on a pistol with uncommon ammo and even harder to find AP rounds.

Then they make it sound like if he hadn't had the Five-seveN he wouldn't have been able to find another pistol that would have been as, or more, deadly; and as others have said, the really fortunate thing here is that he was using pistols and not a rifle.

Animal Mother
11-07-2009, 1:42 PM

When will they make "Gangsta Killa's" ?

tombinghamthegreat
11-07-2009, 1:49 PM
In early 2005, Brady Campaign staff purchased the weapon at a Virginia gun dealer and test-fired it.The bullets successfully penetrated a police Kevlar vest.

Umm so could a .22, near any type of rifle and some more high powered handguns. Kevlar is not as effective as people think.

audihenry
11-07-2009, 1:57 PM
*hugs his stash of ammo*

Technical Ted
11-07-2009, 1:59 PM
*hugs his stash of ammo*
That's what arms are for!

audihenry
11-07-2009, 2:26 PM
From the article:

So... that's a "cop killer" gun how? :rolleyes:

That is pretty ridiculous. I hope no one uses any of my current or future guns to kill cops, lest they be banned as cop killers. :rolleyes:

elSquid
11-07-2009, 3:10 PM
The FN is ideal for hunting large lions, tigers, and bears.

http://www.dailynews.com/breakingnews/ci_12060413

-- Michael

GlennG31
11-07-2009, 3:37 PM

-- Michael

Wha?! I have no words...

Regulus
11-07-2009, 5:54 PM

-- Michael

Biased reporting at its worst. The only relevant information was that some of the firearms were from a residence of prohibited people.

I've noticed a trend in the comments of such articles, this one included. They are largely (if not completely) against gun control and let the authors know how wrong they are. Too bad it won't make a bit of difference. :(

wilit
11-07-2009, 7:13 PM
Biased reporting at its worst. The only relevant information was that some of the firearms were from a residence of prohibited people.

I wouldn't really call the quote of hunting large game biased reporting since it's a direct quote from the LAPD Chief. The stupidity here is not from the reporter but from the head of the PD sworn to protect us.

"You use it on large lions, tigers and bears," said LAPD Deputy Chief Michel Moore, commander of the Valley Bureau.

AJAX22
11-07-2009, 7:17 PM
To the idiot antis:

Kevlar vests are not hard to penetrate.

/thread

Seriously...

just about ANY rifle will do it, or rifle cartridge pistol...

heck some handgun rounds fired out of carbines will punch through...

missiondude
11-07-2009, 7:22 PM
Did anyone see the news story where the guy being interviewed said it was a semi-auto handgun that was literally capable of firing faster than the trigger could be pulled. Where do they find these people???

Regulus
11-07-2009, 7:54 PM
I wouldn't really call the quote of hunting large game biased reporting since it's a direct quote from the LAPD Chief. The stupidity here is not from the reporter but from the head of the PD sworn to protect us.

Agreed. The quote from the LAPD was not the reporters fault.

It's quotes like these (using all the high-value keywords) that provide the bias I was referring to:
Raids in Los Angeles this week that uncovered an extraordinary cache of illegal assault weapons.

Two men and one woman were arrested this week after authorities raided a downtown warehouse and several Los Angeles homes and seized 32 firearms, including semiautomatic rifles, high-caliber guns and ammunition for AK-47s.

One of the most startling incidents was when a Fabrique National 57, an assault pistol used to kill big game, was found in a victim's car...

And in October, police found dozens of casings sprayed from high-caliber weapons at the scene of a homicide on Sherman Way in North Hollywood...

Recent killings of four Oakland police officers gunned down by a parolee with a semi-automatic weapon has reignited cries for the federal government to reinstate a ban on assault weapons, which expired in 2004.

Assault weapons are illegal in California. But they are legally sold in several nearby states, including Arizona, Nevada and Texas.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but it seems to me there is an underlying message in her story.

blackfalcon
11-07-2009, 9:00 PM
The news article states the FN 5.7 is "...easily concealable." Yeah, right! Perhaps if you were wearing a trenchcoat.