PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Stainless 1911

Equalizer
03-21-2005, 11:08 AM
I have a Kimber TLE in stainless and the dust cover is dirty from powder residue 1/2 inch back any wise tips on how to clean this.
Bill

Equalizer
03-21-2005, 11:08 AM
I have a Kimber TLE in stainless and the dust cover is dirty from powder residue 1/2 inch back any wise tips on how to clean this.
Bill

Guns R Tools
03-21-2005, 11:42 AM
How about oven cleaner. I would use small amount on Q-tips to see if it works without risking too much.

Maybe some wheel cleaners.

Just a suggestion.

imported_edbon9
03-21-2005, 2:09 PM
I've found out that the best powder residue cleaners are SLIP2000 and Mpro7, with Slip2K being the cheapest. they don't clean stainless guns as well, as they do the barrels. In which case I use either flitz paste or JB bore paste (need to use a bit of oil for JB to work best) with a patch.

Bling Bling
03-21-2005, 10:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cashisnice:
How about oven cleaner. I would use small amount on Q-tips to see if it works without risking too much.

Hahah oven cleaner cleans EVERYTHING. Be careful that stuff is powerful! If it gets on your hands get it off fast. Chemical burn err so I'm told... http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bryan Whited
03-22-2005, 5:47 AM
Stainless.
Try Acetone.
Works like majic.

bwiese
03-22-2005, 6:17 AM
Besides acetone, for blued or stainless guns, "brake cleaner" works great. It's quite similar to Hoppe's (?) "Gun Blast" or "Gun Scrubber".

[Note: some brake cleaner is flammable. Some is not, being similar to dry cleaning fluid. Neither type of brake cleaner should be gotten on skin: besides its own side effects, the solvent(s) can transport other toxins below the skin surface. Use nitrile gloves.]

Any solvent like this might be harmful to any plastic items on gun, plastic grips, or varnish finish on grips. Watch your usage accordingly.
It will not harm metals however.

Solvents WILL strip all lubrication off affected areas so they will require complete re-lubrication.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Exiledviking
03-22-2005, 9:22 AM
I have had good luck using a lead remover
cloth. I believe it was originally meant
for running thru a barrel.

Kruzr
03-22-2005, 2:49 PM
If your gun is stainless, get some of the lead remover patches and rub it on the residue. Do not try this with a blued gun!

Equalizer
03-24-2005, 6:42 AM
Well the lead remover cloths win the day. I picked one up at Sportsmans supply and presto, clean as new.Thanks for the great advice.
Bill