PDA

View Full Version : McGinness update - Still can't do his job

Hozr
11-06-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm so tempted to fill out a CCW. North Highlands is minutes from me.

http://www.kcra.com/news/21525745/detail.html

SACRAMENTO COUNTY, Calif. --
Safety and quality of life may be suffering in the Sacramento County because of a dwindling law enforcement staff, according to the county sheriff.

"I'm afraid that's something people do look at when they make a decision to move personally or move a business. And I would love to be able to tell them -- especially people that want to move a business here -- 'Yeah, we have a robust community policing program, and we have law enforcement staffing, and we're going to get a ahead of crime problems before they become significant,' but in the interest of honesty, we can't make that promise," Sheriff John McGinness told KCRA 3.

That has Jay Christensen concerned. He said while business is great in the area, he may have looked at other locations had he known.

Hefty Nifty Thrifty is a consignment store in North Highlands. It has been in business only three months and already the owners said they have seen their share of suspicious activity.

"We have seen cars park and other cars come up along side the car that was parked, and I'm 82 years so I kind of recognize," said Christensen.

McGinness said certain crimes are falling off the county's priority list.

"Realistically, we have to accept the fact that we can't do what we used to do," McGinness said.

In order to keep as many officers patrolling the county the sheriff's office said it had to dismantle proactive programs aimed at stopping crimes before they escalate meaning no teams targeting things like drugs and prostitution.

"That is a scary thing," said Laura Williams, a North Highlands resident.

McGinness said while many programs in the sheriffs office are gone, the number of deputies patrolling hasn't changed much and that he feels the county is doing a good job responding to crimes putting people in immediate risk. He said what concerns him is the trickle effect of smaller crimes be allowed to add up.

McGinness said he doesn't believe people in the county are feeling less safe already, but he said that feeling is fragile.

sixtringr
11-06-2009, 12:39 PM
His "job" is to issue CCW permits. He won't do that either.

tiko
11-06-2009, 12:44 PM
I talked to a policeman who works for McGinness about CCWs issued only to people who contributed to his campaign, the deputy said it is not true... Mr. McGinness didn't issue CCW to anyone. :D:D