PDA

View Full Version : Buying a revolver from gunbroker

jinggoyd1967
11-06-2009, 11:46 AM
I want to buy a S&W revolver from gunbroker. My issue is that some of the items there do not match the "-#" as those on the roster. Example: Model 64-3 does not appear on the roster but has the same barrel length/description as 64-7 and 64-8. Can I still get the 64-3?

Also, what if the item description on gunbroker does not specify the "-#"?

phil conrad
11-06-2009, 11:50 AM
The "dash" number must be on the list. Ask the seller the "dash" before you bid.

nn3453
11-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Yep dash number must match.

maxicon
11-06-2009, 5:04 PM
Yeah, it's crazy - you can buy any generation Glock 17 you want, but with S&W, you have to stick to the approved dash version.

ke6guj
11-06-2009, 5:29 PM
thats because Glock was smart and kept the same model number even though they upgraded the design. Other manufacturers like S&W and Springfield come up with different models, dash versions, SKU#s on a weekly basis when they don't need to.

Had Glock done the Glock 17-1 , 17-2, 17-3, etc for the dfferent versions, then we'd be dealing with the same thing with Glock. As it is, with the RTF and SF models, since Glock differentiated them from the regular versions, then then Roster starts affecting them as well. Lets see how the new 4th generation glocks get affected when they get released next year.

bwiese
11-06-2009, 5:35 PM
Yeah, it's crazy - you can buy any generation Glock 17 you want,
but with S&W, you have to stick to the approved dash version.

You have found a major issue with the Roster and Glocks and perhaps vendor-specific preferential treatment by DOJ FD/BoF.

And Glocks have *substantive* changes made thru the various generations of a given model; it's not just a grip reshaping.

Of course I could be wrong, and maybe just DOJ BoF is incompetent.

nn3453
11-06-2009, 6:02 PM
Other manufacturers like S&W and Springfield come up with different models, dash versions, SKU#s on a weekly basis when they don't need to.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there are differences between S&W dash models and everytime they change something internal, they come up with a new dash number. For instance elimination of cylinder counterbore, gas ring, removal of cylinder stop stud, MIM hammer and frame mounted pin, on and on.

ke6guj
11-06-2009, 6:10 PM
could be, but they didn't have to use dash #s to indicate incremental changes to the design. That was their choice to do so.

orangevale
11-06-2009, 6:49 PM
"but they didn't have to use dash #s to indicate incremental changes to the design. That was their choice to do so."

Not a big fan of S&W since the Clinton era sell-out, but they made the choice to use dash numbers in 1959! They were supposed to know that California would create a bogus “safe” gun registry and differentiate models down to the dash number? The problem here is California, not S&W's dash number system.

8-Ball
11-06-2009, 7:32 PM
"but they didn't have to use dash #s to indicate incremental changes to the design. That was their choice to do so."

Not a big fan of S&W since the Clinton era sell-out, but they made the choice to use dash numbers in 1959! They were supposed to know that California would create a bogus “safe” gun registry and differentiate models down to the dash number? The problem here is California, not S&W's dash number system.

+1....

JTROKS
11-06-2009, 7:57 PM
Those darn dash on a S&W model 10 prevented me from jumping on a real nice one.

orangevale
11-06-2009, 9:43 PM
Those darn dash on a S&W model 10 prevented me from jumping on a real nice one.

WOW! You must be really particular about the Model 10 dash numbers you’re willing to buy. Or maybe, “what the general meant to say” was “The darn list prevented me from jumping on a real nice S&W model 10.”

B Strong
11-07-2009, 8:31 AM
I want to buy a S&W revolver from gunbroker. My issue is that some of the items there do not match the "-#" as those on the roster. Example: Model 64-3 does not appear on the roster but has the same barrel length/description as 64-7 and 64-8. Can I still get the 64-3?

Also, what if the item description on gunbroker does not specify the "-#"?

Sorry Jinggo, the "dash" numbers have to be the same as the listed piece on the safe gun roster.

Curio & Relics, single action wheelguns with a barrel over a cetain length, and single shot pistols are exempt, as well as listed Olmypic style pistols.

The only way you'll be able to legally get a 64-3 is through a PPT, or a consignment sale at an FFL.