PDA

View Full Version : What's needed to make a SIG 556 CA-legal?

MasterYong
11-06-2009, 11:36 AM
I searched around and didn't find much. Using Google most of what came up was from 2006 and very speculative.

Besides adding a mag lock (someone's gotta make one... Radd?) what else needs to be done? Does the stock have to be pinned? Anyone know the OAL of the SIG 556 with the stock folded? I can never remember the folding stock CA laws... does it have to be pinned no matter what if the rifle can fire with the stock folded, regardless of length?

Thanks in advance, Calguns.

Barney Gumble
11-06-2009, 11:48 AM
As long as it's over 30" with the stock folded and it has a BB or Raddlock you don't need to pin the stock.

"Use the force flow chart, Luke."

crob
11-06-2009, 12:13 PM
I know Ryan at JK Supply had one a few weeks ago with either an MOE or CTR on it, making it 30"+. Just another option other than the longer barrel or pinning the stock...

***edit***
found his thread
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=233538

munkeeboi
11-06-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm assuming you mean the 556 with folding and collapsible stock. the non-folders just need a BB and they are set. On the side folders with a bb, it will be less than 30" OAL and will need a muzzle extension or pinning the stock so it can't fold (collapsible is still ok)

MasterYong
11-06-2009, 1:23 PM
I'm assuming you mean the 556 with folding and collapsible stock. the non-folders just need a BB and they are set. On the side folders with a bb, it will be less than 30" OAL and will need a muzzle extension or pinning the stock so it can't fold (collapsible is still ok)

For some reason I thought they all had the folding stock. The one I saw in a store down here did.

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

"Use the force flow chart, Luke."

Sorry Barney, but you just made a sig line. :D:D:D

MasterYong
11-06-2009, 1:26 PM
I know Ryan at JK Supply had one a few weeks ago with either an MOE or CTR on it, making it 30"+. Just another option other than the longer barrel or pinning the stock...

***edit***
found his thread
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=233538

Thanks for the link.

Is it just me or is that extremely overpriced? I guess I don't really know the value of the accessories included but here is AZ they go for $1300-$1500.

While I'm feeling lazy... anyone know the cost (ballpark) of the mag lock for these? ETA: After doing some digging, it looks like it uses the standard AR BB/mag release. True? Does it use AR mags too?

crob
11-06-2009, 2:20 PM
Is it just me or is that extremely overpriced? I guess I don't really know the value of the accessories included but here is AZ they go for $1300-$1500.

Not sure, never priced a regular 556, but I imagine the grip light is not cheap. His prices always seemed fair to me on what he has. Either way, good luck with your search.

Barney Gumble
11-06-2009, 3:14 PM
Sorry Barney, but you just made a sig line. :D:D:D

Solid.

dansgold
11-06-2009, 3:28 PM
In a related vein ...

Assuming that I wanted to just walk into some gunshop in CA and buy myself a good AR15, decent brand, maybe a SR556 or a Colt or sumpin'

Where would I go to find such an item with a Raddlock installed, or where I could have it installed prior to purchase/pickup?

gimmejr
11-06-2009, 4:13 PM
In a related vein ...

Assuming that I wanted to just walk into some gunshop in CA and buy myself a good AR15, decent brand, maybe a SR556 or a Colt or sumpin'

Where would I go to find such an item with a Raddlock installed, or where I could have it installed prior to purchase/pickup?

If they are selling them at a gun store in CA they should already have a mag lock installed. Where are you at in northern CA?