PDA

View Full Version : Legality of selling or trading ammo.

himurax13
11-06-2009, 8:15 AM
I am trying to sell some non-firearm stuff but I believe it would be easier to trade for ammo. Are there restrictions to mailing ammo from outside the state or inside the state from a private party?

Flogger23m
11-06-2009, 8:17 AM
I am trying to sell some non-firearm stuff but I believe it would be easier to trade for ammo. Are there restrictions to mailing ammo from outside the state or inside the state from a private party?

If I am correct, not until the handgun mail order ban goes into place. Then you can't do it with handgun ammo (which I don't think has been defined yet).

And I think you are not allowed to get .50BMG and tracers.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

edwardm
11-06-2009, 8:46 AM
.50 BMG ammunition is not regulated (by caliber). I wanted a few rounds of .50 BMG ball ammo as conversation pieces and they are readily obtainable from vendors in-state and out of state via mailorder.

Tracers, other than shotgun tracers, are generally prohibited in California.

For the record, you're not really missing much with tracers. Shotgun tracers are just Not That Fun, and rifle tracers are entertaining for about 10 minutes.

If I am correct, not until the handgun mail order ban goes into place. Then you can't do it with handgun ammo (which I don't think has been defined yet).

And I think you are not allowed to get .50BMG and tracers.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

himurax13
11-06-2009, 8:46 AM
I will be trading for the more popular calibers such as the 9 mm, .40 SW, .45 ACP, .223, 7.62 x 39 mm, and .308 Winchester.

jeffb502
11-06-2009, 2:47 PM
I am trying to sell some non-firearm stuff but I believe it would be easier to trade for ammo. Are there restrictions to mailing ammo from outside the state or inside the state from a private party? There may be county and/or city restrictions on receiving ammunition in the mail. If you're comfortable stating what city or county you live in let us know; if not you should research your city/county codes to see if there are any restrictions. There is no state ban (yet) on receiving ammunition. Keep in mind there are federal laws regarding labeling ammunition shipments, but if you're only receiving ammunition you don't need to worry about those.

If the people sending you the ammunition are responsible they should at least ask you for proof of age, and may also have you sign a statement stating it is legal for you to possess ammunition. Just be prepared for that.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-06-2009, 6:04 PM
You can't mail live ammunition. It must be shipped via common or contract carrier. UPS and FedEx Ground are the only two economical options for the average consumer to ship ammunition right now.

CSACANNONEER
11-06-2009, 6:08 PM
For the record, you're not really missing much with tracers. Shotgun tracers are just Not That Fun, and rifle tracers are entertaining for about 10 minutes.

Shotgun tracers are great for instructional purposes though.