PDA

View Full Version : Legal question on night shooting...

MP301
11-06-2009, 1:08 AM
I was always under the impression that shooting a firearm at night in Ca was not legal. However, I got this impression many many years ago, cant remember who told me or where I read it...... And as a much older and wiser person now, even If I heard it from what I thought as a credible source back then, we all know that what we once thought of as credible sources are....not so much.

So, in a recent discussion with another (obnoxious) calgunner on the phone, he called BS on me when I repeated out of reflex that night shooting was a no no in Ca. I could not site my source, cause I cant remember it or even if it was credible. He did agree that gun mounted night vision was not legal, which adds a bit to the credibility that night shooting was illegal, but also said that he has been trap shooting until 10:30 at night at a local range.

I used to go to a range that was open until midnight, but it was an indoor
range.

He says it is illegal to take game at night, but thinks its legal to shoot at night.

So, without making the same mistake I did and talking (or posting) out of the side of you neck, is shooting at night in Ca legal or not? ....and please site the section/code or whatever....

PutTogether
11-06-2009, 1:25 AM
I thought people hunted coyotes at night. Thought shooting was legal, but that using flood lights to hunt was illegal.

Someone will be around soon with the right answer

MP301
11-06-2009, 1:27 AM
I thought people hunted coyotes at night. Thought shooting was legal, but that using flood lights to hunt was illegal.

Someone will be around soon with the right answer

I thought it was "Snipes" people hunted at night....with a burlap sack......haha

Cokebottle
11-06-2009, 1:29 AM
BLM regulations prohibit shooting or the discharge of any firearm between the hours of 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise the following day (at least within Riverside County).

I don't know if National Forest or private property have the same restrictions or not.

PutTogether
11-06-2009, 1:32 AM
Well, the CDFG's site lists timetables for bird hunting that end at sunset. But aht doesn't answer the questions.http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/bird-shoot-times-so-cal.html

Here we go - Section 263 of CDFG's mammal regs list certain areas where no night hunting is allowed. If they only list specific areas where it isn't allowed, then it IS allowed someone else. In fact, the specifically mention the kind of lights you can use at night in those other areas while hunting fur bearing game. http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.asp#263

Now this covers shooting while hunting - not sure if it traverses over to just plain old shooting for fun, but it doesn't appear to be expressly illegal.

Glock22Fan
11-06-2009, 7:47 AM
I've often shot at the Oak Tree Gun Club (outdoor range) until they close, long after nightfall in winter.

Flopper
11-06-2009, 8:33 AM

I know quite a few people who do this, with lights, and am quite interested in an answer since I'm planning on doing this on private land with some relatives in a couple of weeks.

CavTrooper
11-06-2009, 9:11 AM
Shooting at night and hunting at night are two different things, as are being on a range and being out on public lands. While hunting or shooting in an area may be deemed legal by the state laws, counties have individual ords. that may prohibit discharging firearms after dark. The fish and game regs outline where, how and what you may hunt at night, areas and light voltages are covered. What tehey do not cover is county shooting ords. For instance, Riverside county is in a "night hunting ok" 12v light area but the county ord. prohibits discharging a firearm at night.

It get confusing but you must read and understand the regs especially if you are hunting since F&G wardens have broad authority to ruin your good time if you are caught breaking the rules.

Flopper
11-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks Cav!

professionalcoyotehunter
11-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Also it is allowed only after the general deer seasons are all closed for that county.

Jicko
11-06-2009, 11:54 AM
If you are a member of WEGC.... you can go there in the middle of the night and shoot all you want!

Mute
11-06-2009, 12:16 PM
The only such limitation would be hunting. On private ranges there may be a curfew on business ours but I've done plenty of night shooting at Angeles Ranges on the private ranges.

As for mounted night vision, that is only illegal if it falls under Penal Code § 468 and is defined as a "sniperscope." Per CA Penal code, Sec. 468:

As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device
or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm
which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and
electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually
determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime

So most modern night vision devices won't fall under this law.

stag1500
11-06-2009, 3:42 PM
So it's o.k. to shoot blanks on 4th of July and New Year's Eve if you're outside city limits?

Cokebottle
11-06-2009, 4:58 PM
So it's o.k. to shoot blanks on 4th of July and New Year's Eve if you're outside city limits?
Not in Riverside County.

GrizzlyGuy
11-06-2009, 5:28 PM
State law doesn't prohibit shooting at night, but county ordinances often do. Here is an example from Nevada County:

"It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any firearm between 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise. This subsection shall not apply to persons legally engaged in hunting for non-game mammals and/or furbearers in accordance with Title 14, Sections 466 and 474, of the California Code of Regulations. (Ord. #1540, 11/8/88)"

https://docs.co.nevada.ca.us/dsweb/Get/Document-3940/GEN.CODE-VII%60Misdemeanors.pdf

MP301
11-06-2009, 8:16 PM
The only such limitation would be hunting. On private ranges there may be a curfew on business ours but I've done plenty of night shooting at Angeles Ranges on the private ranges.

As for mounted night vision, that is only illegal if it falls under Penal Code § 468 and is defined as a "sniperscope." Per CA Penal code, Sec. 468:

As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device
or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm
which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and
electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually
determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime

So most modern night vision devices won't fall under this law.

Pardon my technical ignorance, but why dont most night vision mounted scopes fall into this catagory?

Cokebottle
11-06-2009, 8:20 PM
Pardon my technical ignorance, but why dont most night vision mounted scopes fall into this catagory?
I think this is it...
through the use of a projected infrared light source
Don't most civilian NV devices use light-amplification or existing IR, meaning that they will not work in a zero-lux environment?

leelaw
11-06-2009, 8:21 PM

Because they don't have an IR projector attached to the scope. Most modern night vision scopes have high enough sensitivity that they don't need a secondary IR source in order to "see" what's out there.