PDA

View Full Version : Contra Costa Collectibles

ivanimal
11-05-2009, 9:44 PM
They are temporarily closed due to personal issues. I have it from a reliable source that Chuck will be getting things sorted out. He will be back in business as soon as possible. I like Chuck and trust him. He needs our patience right now.

leelaw
11-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Dang, I hope he's alright. Last time he was closed down was due to a severe injury.

trashman
11-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the update, Ivan. Chuck is a good guy and he is still one of the premier sources for S&W's in Norcal. He survived a hell of a car crash and he'll survive whatever is going on now, too.

--Neill

wilit
11-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Oh man, hope things are cool. Chuck and everyone there are awesome peeps.

ivanimal
11-06-2009, 7:54 AM
He is OK but there are personal issues to hurdle.

guns_and_labs
11-09-2009, 4:38 PM
According to their answering machine, DOJ has shut them down and seized the firearms. Not good.

Time to get in line to retrieve any firearms there on consignment.

FS00008
11-09-2009, 5:52 PM
Woah woah woah what happened??

wilit
11-09-2009, 6:46 PM
According to their answering machine, DOJ has shut them down and seized the firearms. Not good.

Time to get in line to retrieve any firearms there on consignment.

I had to call because I couldn't believe it. Sure enough, they've been seized as evidence for an on-going case. Sure hope this doesn't turn into another "Milpitas Lowers" deal for anyone.

joepamjohn
11-09-2009, 6:56 PM
I had to call because I couldn't believe it. Sure enough, they've been seized as evidence for an on-going case. Sure hope this doesn't turn into another "Milpitas Lowers" deal for anyone.

I went by there a week ago last Friday. The ATF was cleaning out the shop and loading up the guns in a large rented Penske van as I walked up. I asked what was up and one of the officers said "there is police business going on here". As we spoke there were other officers carrying out arm loads of guns to the van

I am not going to get into any of the many rumors flying around and I am sadened by this since I know Chuck Good well and have been going there since Mike Chance first owned the Coin and Gun shop with Reese. It does not look good (no pun) for a reopening though. I wish the best for Chuck and anyone who had money paid on guns, or guns still in the store:(

Mickey D
11-09-2009, 7:58 PM
Chuck has been going through some tough times. Prayer that he pulls through ok.

Flyin Brian
11-09-2009, 9:56 PM
It must be his estranged wife's voice on the machine since she says "our business is now closed" and then gives the ATF agent contact info for those of us who are wondering what the heck to do :P

I was waiting to pick up a rifle I purchased a few weeks ago... I hope this has a happy ending.

jdberger
11-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Ya know...Ivan started the thread with the intentionally vague "personal issues" "needs our patience" an you yokels follow up with wild speculation, rumors and calls to make a run on the bank to get your stuff out.

That's classy.

$20 to buy a clue? :rolleyes:

bruce381
11-09-2009, 10:19 PM
lot of rumors I hope chuck well but I would not exspect him to reopen at least not at that locaton

chickenfried
11-09-2009, 10:20 PM
I'm guessing you don't have anything waiting or left at the shop :p. Hopefully this turns out well for Chuck.

Ya know...Ivan started the thread with the intentionally vague "personal issues" "needs our patience" an you yokels follow up with wild speculation, rumors and calls to make a run on the bank to get your stuff out.

That's classy.

BigEd925
11-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Chucks a good guy, I wish him and CCC all the luck.

jdberger
11-09-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm guessing you don't have anything waiting or left at the shop :p. Hopefully this turns out well for Chuck.

how about I buy out your interest?

I'm plenty patient and not interested in beating up one of CGN's industry friends when they're going through personal troubles.

trashman
11-09-2009, 10:57 PM

Or as ol' Billy put it, "The better part of valor is discretion". :chris:

--Neill

chickenfried
11-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Nope don't have anything there, that's why it's easy for me to not be nervous. But I'm not going to come down on someone that's worried about their item.

I'm plenty patient and not interested in beating up one of CGN's industry friends when they're going through personal troubles.

guns_and_labs
11-10-2009, 5:31 PM
The shop is all locked up. Got a response from DOJ, saying my pistol (it was on consignment) is safe and sound, but not going anywhere until the DA decides what to do. She wouldn't say what the issues were - I guess that requires a call to the DA.

I wish I could do something to help Chuck - he's always been one of the good guys.

bruceflinch
11-10-2009, 8:07 PM
Chuck is good people in my book. I wish him the Best.

joepamjohn
11-10-2009, 8:29 PM

That's classy.

What, do you think that no one will reply to a new thread when it concerns so many of us? If Ivan wanted to only post an info only thread then he should have, or could have closed it right after his initial posting. This ain't no secret especially when the answering machine gives 10 minutes of details.

I'm not sure what thread you are reading? :TFH: The replies in this thread are of an overwhelming support of Chuck and the shop. The concern by some for thier property is a totally legitimate concern considering it is now in the hands of people that would rather see new manhole covers made out of them.

I think you should save the $20.00 and buy me a better mind to keep some things to myself.. Watch it -leelaw

jdberger
11-10-2009, 9:04 PM
Nattering nabobs of negativism......

Used up my $20 on those big words..... ;)

chickenfried
11-10-2009, 9:15 PM
Hey maybe you can buy guns and labs consignment.

torsf
11-11-2009, 1:49 PM
Sorry if this is a repost...

http://www.examiner.com/x-1417-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m11d11-Contra-Costa-Collectible-Firearms-closed-by-CA-DOJ

I just received an email from a regular correspondent:
One of my local preferred gun stores was shut down by DOJ this week. It was like a raid - they came in, shut the doors, took the entire inventory of firearms (including a least a hundred plus customer consigned firearms).

There is a notice posted on the door that says everything was seized as evidence of a crime and will not be returned until the case is resolved. If you had guns consigned to the store they took them and will "return" them after the case is resolved -

My guess is that most will never be returned. Under the kalifornia basic registration law the guns are required to be registered and the cops / authorities are under no obligation to return unregistered firearms. If you had an old or 2nd party gun that was not registered to you and you consigned it to the store such that it was taken in the confiscation - you will never be able to "prove" ownership to the DOJ satisfaction and your gun will "probably" be destroyed.

The worst part is people that came in and purchased guns in the last 10 days, paid cash and have had everything disappear. (I worked in the store to help out about a week ago and I sold 2 Sig 220's - one to a person in the service - they will come back this week and find their money gone, their guns not deliverable and the store closed)

I have not seen any articles in the paper describing or notifying the public of the closure.

I asked him the name of the store and he replied:
Contra Costa Collectible Firearms, Walnut Creek, CA 94596

It's true--there's nothing in any news article, at least that a Google News search turns up at the time of this writing. Hopefully this posting will change that.

Fissssh
11-11-2009, 1:55 PM
My neighborhood store, a lot of old guns in there besides the newer registerable kind. Wonder what went down?

torsf
11-11-2009, 1:58 PM
IIRC Ivanamial posted a few days ago about some personal difficulties...

Fissssh
11-11-2009, 1:59 PM
This was a update from the original poster:

Their website is still up.

I called their number, (925) 937-3376. I let the phone ring several times. Eventually, a message played, a female voice confirming the closure and seizure of firearms as evidence, and that they are non-returnable until the case is closed.

Those interested in getting their firearms must contact Kathi Busath, Property Controller for the Bureau of Firearms by fax at 916-274-5992, or via email at kathi.busath@doj.ca.gov.

Include: Name, Address, Zip, Phone, and description of firearm(s), including Make, Model, Caliber and Serial Number.

Please pass the link to this column on to your gun-owning friends in this area. If anyone has further information, please educate us all in "Comments," below.

UPDATE: I'm testing this sound file, below, to see if it can save some of you a phone call. It's the answering machine recording by CA DoJ at Contra Costa Collectibles. So far, I've gotten it to work in IE but not Firefox (it says I need a Plug In that it won't let me download for some reason)--among my many weaknesses is an utter lack of technical skill. Anyway, if it works, fine, if not I'll be removing it... any technical expertise/advise is welcome, but please remember you're dealing with an infant here.

torsf
11-11-2009, 2:02 PM
Yep, this is a bit of a dupe.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=238349

bwiese
11-11-2009, 2:16 PM
This is not an issue due to illegalities of store operation or of its owner.

I have heard the owner is going thru a messy divorce after some health issues - and this resulted in RO drama, etc. afterward.

I don't believe the guns are "evidence", but just "protected inventory" until a distributing FFL is found.

Appears other FFLs are pitching in to help stranded customers.

I hear the owner is a good guy - I'm hoping things settle out OK. He hasn't done anything wrong.

Because of the nature of the situation (RO) and law, the DOJ had to shut down the shop.

wilit
11-11-2009, 11:12 PM

I have heard the owner is going thru a messy divorce after some health issues - and this resulted in RO drama, etc. afterward.

I don't believe the guns are "evidence", but just "protected inventory" until a distributing FFL is found.

I hear the owner is a good guy - I'm hoping things settle out OK. He hasn't done anything wrong.

Because of the nature of the situation (RO) and law, the DOJ had to shut down the shop.

Thanks for the update. Hope Chuck comes out on top. He's a great guy.

guns_and_labs
11-12-2009, 8:51 AM

Well, DOJ thinks otherwise... this is the email I got back from them when I inquired as to the disposition of my pistol:

I was hoping to provide you with some good news. But unfortunately all of the property (including the firearm mentioned in your inquiry) seized at the Contra Costa Collectibles location is currently considered evidence and can not be returned to the proper owners at this time. I have no way of knowing the timetable involved so I would have to advise you that your property will need to be retained indefinitely until such time that the District Attorney or a judge authorizes its release. I can appreciate your frustration and will contact you as soon as a decision has been made. Thank you in advance for your patience. Kathi BusathProperty ControllerBureau of Firearms

bwiese
11-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Well, DOJ thinks otherwise... this is the email I got back from them when I inquired as to the disposition of my pistol:

Hmm. That's a defamatory statement given the issues.

And you know what the DOJ' BoF overall credibility is.

Remember when the 200+ lowers were seized and held as 'evidence' by DOJ? Remember how they all came back after Hoffman bought them and threatened to sue?

Basically an FFL can't have an (T)RO, etc drama - if so he gets shut down.

Divorces can get nasty and go sideways. Appaers the wife may be so vindictive she significantly devalued the dividable asset (interest/ownership in the shop).

guns_and_labs
11-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Hmm. That's a defamatory statement given the issues.

It certainly was not meant to be. You stated that

DOJ stated that
all of the property (including the firearm mentioned in your inquiry) seized at the Contra Costa Collectibles location is currently considered evidence and can not be returned to the proper owners at this time.

hence my statement that the DOJ representative quoted thinks differently (than you).

No defamation intended of you or Chuck, and certainly you frequently have better and more privileged information than anyone else on the board -- you may be right. I hope you are.

I further hope that the statements attributed to those made at the scene by those packing up the guns prove false.

FS00008
11-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Well when he gets back on his feet or someone else with an FFL takes over, I would love to see them start to sell EBRs. It's always really annoyed me that they wouldn't sell EBRs.

RAymond3
11-24-2009, 8:05 AM
Chuck has always treated me very well and I have recommended lots of friends to him who also have been very happy with him. We all hope and pray that he comes through the present difficulties in good shape.

I'm one of those clients that had both guns on consignment, and a gun that was sold on consignment that I havent been paid for yet. But more than that, I would really hate to see that community gun shop closed for any reason. It was my favorite store in Walnut Creek.

CalNRA
11-24-2009, 3:40 PM
damn.

The RO system in California has got to go IMHO.

bodger
11-24-2009, 4:15 PM
damn.

The RO system in California has got to go IMHO.

Roger that. It seems as though an RO against someone is as easy to get these days as roll of postage stamps. And if you're an FFL and have one filed on you, I guess you're shut down and blown out.

I don't know this store or the owner as I live in SoCal, but I wish him well. We need all the good gun dealers we can get.

Gunm
11-24-2009, 8:35 PM
Roger that. It seems as though an RO against someone is as easy to get these days as roll of postage stamps. And if you're an FFL and have one filed on you, I guess you're shut down and blown out.

I don't know this store or the owner as I live in SoCal, but I wish him well. We need all the good gun dealers we can get.

That's all we need! :eek: Putting ideas about buying rolls of postage stamps into "common sense gun law" advocates' heads! :willy_nilly:

Can you imagine if someone went around buying a roll of postage stamps for every gun store owner?! :willy_nilly: Just imagine how much they'd save on mail!

Gunm
11-24-2009, 8:58 PM
My sympathies to those of you who were caught up in this. I hope you are able to recover what was lost.

CalNRA
11-24-2009, 10:17 PM
I talked to those guys on the phone a few times and they sounded like some very friendly people. Too bad I couldn't drop in before the "high crime" happened.

So basically the BATFE AND the CA DOJ are involved and made such a big deal out of a divorce case?

WTF?

anthonyca
11-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Another RO drama. Just hope she didn't call the cops and say he lightly touched her shoulder in a disagreement. This system has gotten way out of line. Only some one who has gone through it can trully understand.

dfletcher
11-24-2009, 10:51 PM
My sympathies to those of you who were caught up in this. I hope you are able to recover what was lost.

I hope everything works out for all, especially Chuck. I've been buying there since the 90's and liked the store and the crew. I'm caught up in this to the tune of about $5K. :(

I've sent an e-mail to the DOJ and store address. Here's the autoresponse from the store's e-mail address:

This is an autogreeting for those need a written copy of DOJ instructions.

"Contra Costa collectibles has been closed for business permanently as of Oct 30, 2009.

If your firearm was seized by the Dept of Justice during the closure, please contact Kathi Busath at the DOJ via her fax at 916-274-5992 or her email at Kathi.busath@doj.ca.gov with your full name, mailing address and current phone no. and a description of your firearm, including the make, model, caliber and serial no.

Once the DOJ case is closed, Kathi will notify you of how to have your firearm returned to you. This may take up to 6 months, as many firearms were involved.
_____
If your consignment was not the type to have been siezed by the DOJ, i.e., black powder: please send all details to this address, contracosta collectibles@yahoo.com

We apologize for the inconvenience."

bodger
11-25-2009, 2:33 PM
Another RO drama. Just hope she didn't call the cops and say he lightly touched her shoulder in a disagreement. This system has gotten way out of line. Only some one who has gone through it can trully understand.

Indeed. I had a TRO placed upon me in 1984 by my girlfriend at the time.

I slammed her front door as I was leaving one night. Not enough to damage the door, and she wasn't even close to it at the time. Just slammed it and left.

Restraining order granted.

In those days, you didn't have to surrender your guns.
I wasn't asked to anyway, so I assume that was the case back then.

Steyr_223
11-30-2009, 9:58 PM
Wow, I hope everything works out for them. Been there only a few times but they were good folks. Loved the M1918 BAR they had there a few years ago..

dfletcher
11-30-2009, 10:05 PM
I haven't heard back from DOJ yet - I'm wondering how many consignments from Calguns members were sitting there. I don't mind a little wait, my guns were sitting at the store for about a year. But I don't want to hear nothing from no one then walk into another gun store and find my guns "aquired" as unclaimed property.

guns_and_labs
12-01-2009, 3:39 PM
I haven't heard back from DOJ yet - I'm wondering how many consignments from Calguns members were sitting there. I don't mind a little wait, my guns were sitting at the store for about a year. But I don't want to hear nothing from no one then walk into another gun store and find my guns "aquired" as unclaimed property.

More likely they'll end up recycled as flatware, to be sold at Walmart.

dfletcher
12-07-2009, 2:20 PM
I just spoke with Cathi @ DOJ - she's handling inventory on this case and said they picked up about 800 guns. She told me she had an e-mail problem a few weeks back and suggested that those having consignment guns fax her at 916.274.5992 with information (manufacturer, type, serial number) on the gun and contact info. First step will be confirming the gun was picked up by DOJ, second step is getting the gun back which may have to wait until the case is decided - evidently the DA has not decided whether to file charges, whatever they may be.

glockfu
12-08-2009, 5:25 PM
Damn... this sucks! So this now means he cant even reopen after all this drama is done at a later date? Why is this permanent?

firearmsrme
12-11-2009, 8:32 PM
Looks like the wife filed for a TRO on 11/4, which was After the store was closed on 10/30 so no telling what went on after they lost their business. Also looks like the request was denied and she only recieved a "stay away" order, whch won't affect his ability to sell/own firearms. under CA law, losing the store would sink BOTH their battleships financially, if this makes any buddy feel better-i've heard him talk about her to. however, i'm betting there is more to this story to come. Any way, wishing the dude well, his web site is still up so maybe its temporary. here's hoping this is just a rumor http://www.eastbaydaze.com/2009/12/feds-close-walnut-creek-gun-shop.html

RAymond3
12-15-2009, 4:31 PM
SUPER NEWS, I have written confirmation from the California Department of Justice, Bureaw of Firearms that no charges are being filed; that a "No Charges Filed" document should be files by the end of this week: and that the firearms will be properly released to their owners shortly.

Thank God!

dfletcher
12-16-2009, 5:55 PM
SUPER NEWS, I have written confirmation from the California Department of Justice, Bureaw of Firearms that no charges are being filed; that a "No Charges Filed" document should be files by the end of this week: and that the firearms will be properly released to their owners shortly.

Thank God!

Agree - good news, thanks for the posting.

How do they plan on determining the owners of consigned firearms and notifying them - from who did you get confirmation (Cathi?) and how will they notify? Phone call, mail?

dfletcher
12-18-2009, 9:10 AM
A bump, slightly different topic on this thread.

The e-mail I received from CA BOF yesterday was the standard "don't know when they'll be released by DA or by judge" and in reading the message it seems the agent is making a reference to a gun owner, not the DA, going before a judge and getting a court order to have guns released. In effect, the DA may want to hold them, the owner (me) wants his property returned and I file to require their release.

I'm not at that point yet, but I do have enough $$$ tied up to make it worth a few hundred $$$ to get done. Anyone ever done this, is an attorney required or can I go pro se with a reasonable chance of success?

Or, will the judge simply ask the DA "You still need them?" and if the DA says yes, that's it?

battleship
12-18-2009, 10:43 PM
So no charges being filed , means what? your going to get your guns, but what about the store re-opening, will he get all his inventory returned.
Will he be allowed to operate again, what they have done is destroy this mans livelihood even if it was only temporarily. Anyone know if he will be back in business at some point in the future.
I miss going to that store.

vandal
12-18-2009, 10:53 PM
In this case I'm more inclined to blame his soon-to-be-Ex wife working the system to screw him over than I'm inclined to blame CADOJ.

dfletcher
12-19-2009, 12:22 AM
I was at the store shortly before this happened and Chuck was considering moving the store - lease was up and the landlord was fiddling about with respect to renewing.

joepamjohn
12-19-2009, 7:36 AM
I was at the store shortly before this happened and Chuck was considering moving the store - lease was up and the landlord was fiddling about with respect to renewing.

I agree about the wife / ex-wife being the main catalyst in any alledged crimes here. Chuck previously mentioned that the lease was up in 2010 and that the city and property owners have "other plans" for that area where new redevelopment is slated so he has going to be leaving the location anyway. As you all know Walnut Creek is more interested in becoming the "next Carmel" so any old ugly buildings (buy their standards) do not fit in anymore. I would expect to see that entire string of buildings torn down from the alley way to the corner to make room for more "posh" retail space.

As for Chuck and the future of CCC Firearms, he will reopen in a more suitable area once the wife is out of the picture. I heard rumblings of Martinez or other local areas. One way or the other I miss him and the shop and look forward for his return. On a good note I have more money in my bank account as a result of the shop closure. :rolleyes:

hoffmang
12-19-2009, 3:32 PM
If DOJ isn't getting people their firearms back promptly in the first of the year, please PM me as they don't have the right to hold your property. We've proven that once and I'm happy to prove that again.

-Gene

RAymond3
12-30-2009, 2:56 PM
If anyone could give us an update on Chuck, his plans, the return of his and our guns, that would be great.

Post 88
12-31-2009, 11:08 AM
Chuck,

Just wish you Happy New Year!

rickffp
01-08-2010, 8:12 PM
Chuck,

Hope everything works out. I hadn't been by the store in some months but drove by today and noted the empty shelves. Good luck Chuck. You're one of the good guys.

guns_and_labs
01-09-2010, 8:26 AM
Did anyone hear from DOJ about the seized guns? I've still not heard back from them.

r35
01-12-2010, 6:59 PM
I contacted the DOJ last week. I was told that no case is going forward.

I was further told that a letter was being written up to be sent to all firearms owners that the DOJ is aware of, which will describe the procedure to have the firearms returned. I wasn't given a time frame.

Incidentally, I never heard from "Chuck" or any of his staff. I'm not aware of one damn bit of effort put out by this man to let people know what happened with their guns or keep them apprised of the situation. I'm aware that some on this board are fond of him. Was anybody contacted?

dfletcher
01-12-2010, 7:18 PM
I contacted the DOJ last week. I was told that no case is going forward.

I was further told that a letter was being written up to be sent to all firearms owners that the DOJ is aware of, which will describe the procedure to have the firearms returned. I wasn't given a time frame.

Incidentally, I never heard from "Chuck" or any of his staff. I'm not aware of one damn bit of effort put out by this man to let people know what happened with their guns or keep them apprised of the situation. I'm aware that some on this board are fond of him. Was anybody contacted?

I've just received the same from Kathi @ DOJ. She confirms no charges filed and a "get your guns" letter has been written, will be sent to gun owners who have contacted DOJ. After that a form must be completed to get guns, once OK'd a letter is sent to gun owner telling them how/where to get. Process as described probably puts us in early March to get guns in hand. I'm betting there's a 10 day wait & DROS at the end of this journey.

Re CCC, I sent an e-mail to their website, got a "we're not here, contact DOJ" bounceback but a few days later got a response to my question. The response was "we'll look into it" and that's all I've heard thus far.

Like you, my frustration with this whole affair is the lack of accurate information. I don't like having a few grand in guns tied up, not knowing what's going on or why only compounds the matter. I will say the DOJ contact (Kathi) has been helpful and accurate in her information, always got a prompt response and was very polite when I spoke to her on the phone.

Creeping Incrementalism
02-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Bumping for an update, if anyone has one.

battleship
02-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Me to for an update on Chuck and business.

dfletcher
02-06-2010, 11:03 PM
I got a call from Chuck last week, he is setting up a meeting with folks who had "nongun" stuff at the shop that wasn't picked up by DOJ. In my case it's a Pelican case and a switch out barrel for the HS Takedown rifle that DOJ did take.

Regarding DOJ, after getting the "guns will be returned" info on 12 Jan 10 I've heard nothing. I'm going to shoot Kathi a follow up e-mail Monday and will report back.

RAymond3
02-09-2010, 4:03 PM
I got a call from Chuck last week, he is setting up a meeting with folks who had "nongun" stuff at the shop that wasn't picked up by DOJ. In my case it's a Pelican case and a switch out barrel for the HS Takedown rifle that DOJ did take.

Regarding DOJ, after getting the "guns will be returned" info on 12 Jan 10 I've heard nothing. I'm going to shoot Kathi a follow up e-mail Monday and will report back.

Hey Fletcher, Is there some way that I could get Chuch to call me? I also had non gun things in the shop, but no one has called.

could you pm me some contact information?

Thanks,

Raymond

dfletcher
02-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Yet another update from DOJ - Chuck is with DOJ and in the process of verifying who owns what. There are approximately 800 firearms involved, some owned by the store and some by us. I suppose Chuck's record's are being matched up with those of us who have already contacted DOJ to ensure they are released to the real owners.

DOJ will then send out a letter to each of us and we must complete this form: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/legrinfo.php

It is called a LEGR, once cleared & notified we have 30 days to pick up our gun(s). Having a C & R/COE - if your gun is eligible - is of no help.

This process is supposed to take about 4 week.s

DOJ is looking for a spot in Walnut Creek to actually do the hand over of guns to the owners.

tuolumnejim
02-10-2010, 1:11 PM
Thanks for the update, Ivan. Chuck is a good guy and he is still one of the premier sources for S&W's in Norcal. He survived a hell of a car crash and he'll survive whatever is going on now, too.

--Neill

Good luck to the subject of the post, and yes car crashes suck.

dfletcher
03-04-2010, 8:49 PM
A week or so ago I got a message that DOJ was mailing out "get your guns back" paperwork. I just received a USPS certified notice with CA DOJ as the sender and am assuming (hoping) this is it - anyone gotten a letter, is it certified?

guns_and_labs
03-05-2010, 12:08 PM
yes, it was certified.

dfletcher
03-05-2010, 2:48 PM
yes, it was certified.

Thanks, just picked it up at the PO. Fill out a form to get another form to PU the gun. Hopefully I get these things back and sold by Reno Gun show time.

guns_and_labs
03-06-2010, 4:46 PM
Yeah, if you can find a receipt. I lost mine long ago.

MarkA
03-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Hi all,

New member here but a regular over at Beretta Forum.

I'm from the South Bay and had done business off and on with CCCF for a numebr of years.

Got my letter from DOJ last week and returned my LEGR application and check on Saturday.

I agree with all who have noted that Chuck is definitely one of the good guys. I'd like to see him back in business ASAP at whatever location he selects.

I'm in no hurry for my $$, but Kathi Busath informed me that it appeard that two of three guns I had at CCCF on consignment had been sold prior to the DOJ action that closed the shop.

Does anyone know what Chuck is doing to settle accounts for sales that had been completed? I realize that it may be the case that all financials relating to the business may be tied up in knots right now. As RAymond3 asked in his post above, is there any way to get in touch with Chuck or to ask him to give me a call or PM me?

Thanks for the help.

MarkA

r35
03-17-2010, 12:47 PM
I've been told by the DOJ that they are hoping to have a "get your gun back day" (my quote, not theirs) on April 1st in Walnut Creek. This is if they have enough LEGR forms returned. So if you haven't sent yours in yet, please do so.

For those folks who have not heard from "good guy" Chuck about getting their money back, may I respectfully recommend that you start a process to formally contact him? I would suggest that send a certified demand letter to his address of record, followed up by a small claims action if he does not respond. If anyone here actually knows him and is in communication with him, could they suggest to him that he communicates with the folks to whom he owes money, so as to avoid further legal issues?

firearmsrme
03-20-2010, 2:58 PM
I think his bro is at their parents, Jacks a good dude

ChuckBooty
03-20-2010, 3:30 PM
I think his bro is at their parents, Jacks a good dude 510-xxx-xxxx.

Hey take this phone number down. Just send it in a PM or something. Especially if this is a residential phone number. Not cool man.

dfletcher
03-25-2010, 3:52 PM
I just received the following e-mail from Kathi @ DOJ:

"I apologize for the late notice, but due to circumstances beyond my control I thought I had better e-mail you with some important and timely information. You should be receiving your LEGR approval letter in the mail very shortly. In the letter is a label attached which states:

Please make arrangements to pick up your firearm(s) on Thursday, April 1, 2010 between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm
1435 River Park Drive, Fifth Floor, Room 505 Sacramento, CA 95816 Please be sure to bring your LEGR approval letter, a copy of your Contra Costa Collectibles Receipt and a gun case to transport your firearm(s) home

If you have any questions please e-mail or fax me at kathi.busath@doj.ca.gov"

I did a follow up and it's no appointment, "just be there" between 10 & 3. Since I'm picking up a rifle and handgun I plan on having a locked case for the handgun.

Update: I did a Mapquest and the zip code shows 95185. I checked with Kathi and confirmed the address shown with the 95185 MQ is correct, it's off Exposition and near the Cal Expo Center where the gun show is held.

Flyin Brian
03-25-2010, 4:34 PM
I received my LEGR application but I'm in kind of a strange position. I bought a C&R rifle from Chuck and filled out the DROS form and paid the fees but due to the 10 day waiting period I told him I would pay for the rifle when I picked it up. I was hoping at some point Chuck would get on here or maybe someone knew how to get in touch with him but since that hasn't happened I think I am just going to cut my losses and walk away from it, I'm only out the DROS fees at this point and I don't want to pick up the rifle without paying Chuck, so I don't see any other solution to this. Anyone know how to reach Chuck to take care of this?

dfletcher
03-25-2010, 8:04 PM
I received my LEGR application but I'm in kind of a strange position. I bought a C&R rifle from Chuck and filled out the DROS form and paid the fees but due to the 10 day waiting period I told him I would pay for the rifle when I picked it up. I was hoping at some point Chuck would get on here or maybe someone knew how to get in touch with him but since that hasn't happened I think I am just going to cut my losses and walk away from it, I'm only out the DROS fees at this point and I don't want to pick up the rifle without paying Chuck, so I don't see any other solution to this. Anyone know how to reach Chuck to take care of this?

I wonder what happens to the gun if you don't pick it up? I'd like to hear from Chuck again also. My rifle is a takedown. DOJ has the rifle with one barrel and Chuck has the other. Info I got is that he was going to get the 2nd barrel together with the complete rifle. If not I'm out about $2,000.00 for the 2nd fitted barrel.

I had Chuck's number but thanks to my wonderful cell phone it's gone. Anyone have to PM?

Fissssh
03-25-2010, 9:08 PM
Just a note, I drive by the shop fairly often and it looks like some kind of hair salon place has set up shop. With the way Walnut Creek has become I do not foresee a new/old gun shop opening up downtown. Has anyone heard if he will reopen, somewhere?

Flyin Brian
03-26-2010, 12:20 PM
When I was in there making the deal on this rifle, Chuck was talking about moving the shop to Concord, somewhere near the Arnold Industrial exit off of Hwy 4, north of the Solano Drive Inn. I hope that deal comes together, I would sure like to continue doing business with him. BTW, the rifle I was buying was probably the least expensive in the whole shop, so it's not like it will be something on the high priority list :P

AfricanHunter
03-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Can someone PM me Chucks email/contact info. I used to do a good bit of business with him and considered him a friend before I moved down to SoCal. Would like to give him a ring and commiserate.

MarkA
05-22-2010, 9:31 AM
I was able to come up with what was claimed to be a correct e-mail address and sent Chuck a note (hopefully not in any way offensive) and attached pdfs of my CCCF receipts for two guns which DOJ believes were sold prior to their raid -- at least DOJ did not have them. The e-mail appeared to go through, but no response. Don't know what that really means.

Right now I'm out the $$ for those two pistols. I certainly understand that Chuck has had a challenging situation and I'm willing to be patient wrt the money, but I've heard absolutely NOTHING from Chuck or anyone claiming to represent him. I like Chuck but am put off by the total lack of communication.

Has anyone here been able to contact him? If so, please send me a PM or e-mail me at mjaandkja@comcast.net.

Back to the OP. I believe the letter I received from DOJ regarding the one gun of mine which they had in their possession clearly stated that any gun not claimed in 6 months would be destroyed. So, just leaving a gun with DOJ does not seem like a good way to go. On the other hand, to claim the gun you need to be able to prove it is yours. That would depend on what paperwork Flyin Brian can produce.

Ever hopeful...

MarkA

obeygiant
09-28-2010, 12:00 AM
I happened to be flipping through the latest copy of Gun Digest and came across an ad for an auction titled "Entire Contents of Contra Costa Firearms". I haven't seen anyone mention it yet or provide any updates to the original thread. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up in case their are any outstanding firearms in their inventory. Never been to CCC or met Chuck for that matter but from reading about him and his shop over the years it sounds like he was a stand-up guy.

Back story here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=238349)

Greg Martin Auctions (http://www.gregmartinauctions.com/Auctions/currentauctions.aspx)
October 2010 Live Auction - Entire Contents of Contra Costa Firearms, of Walnut Creek, CA
Session: 3
Description: 0
Lot Range: 1000-1901
Pre-Bidding Ends: 10/10/2010 11-30-00 AM
Live Floor and Internet Bidding Begins: 10/10/2010 12:00:00 PM

View Lots (http://www.gregmartinauctions.com/Auctions/AuctionLots.aspx?AuctionID=58&SessionID=117)
Schedule/Details (http://www.gregmartinauctions.com/Auctions/Auction.aspx?AuctionID=58)

obeygiant
09-28-2010, 9:20 PM
Update:
Contra Costa Collectible Firearm's Inventory up for Auction (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=346896)