PDA

View Full Version : quick question about shipping a out of state ppt

AlliedArmory
11-05-2009, 9:03 PM
If I sell my handgun here and sell it to someone in CA or out of state even, what are the fees that I (seller) have to pay to have my FFL here ship it out?

CSACANNONEER
11-05-2009, 9:12 PM
You'll have to ask your FFL. There is no set fee so, each one can charge as much or as little as they want to.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-05-2009, 9:52 PM
If I sell my handgun here and sell it to someone in CA or out of state even, what are the fees that I (seller) have to pay to have my FFL here ship it out?

Just ship it yourself. First make sure the receiving FFL will accept shipments from a non-FFL. Some will not.

AlliedArmory
11-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Just ship it yourself. First make sure the receiving FFL will accept shipments from a non-FFL. Some will not.

since i am not a FFL, is it legal for me to ship it to a FFL?

ke6guj
11-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Yes, it il legal for you to do so.

A non-licensee can ship a handgun via a common carrier such as UPS or Fedex to an FFL in any state. YOu can't mail it via USPS.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-05-2009, 10:34 PM
since i am not a FFL, is it legal for me to ship it to a FFL?

Yes, perfectly legal. An FFL is only required on the receiving end. Some FFL's have a policy of only accepting shipments from other FFL's though. One benefit of using an FFL on the sending end is that Dealers shipping to Dealers can use the USPS to ship handguns, whereas you will have to use UPS or FedEx over night shipping to ship a handgun.

AlliedArmory
11-06-2009, 2:26 AM
thanks for the quick replies. now I just need to sell my Kimber :)

Cokebottle
11-06-2009, 2:33 AM
If you sell it to someone within California and you can do a FTF transfer, it is a PPT and no FFL fees are allowed. PPT DROS would normally be $35, the shop will process the background check paperwork and hold the gun for 10 days.

kemasa
11-06-2009, 10:03 AM
It is sometimes cheaper to go through a FFL though. If you ship UPS or FedEx, you are limited in the services that you can use, which are expensive (see below). If you have a FFL ship the firearm USPS, it tends to be cheap, under $20, so if you find a reasonable FFL, the total will often be less than shipping it yourself. What I do is to have the seller get the package completely ready, but unsealed, so I just need to log it, seal it and ship it.

http://www.fedex.com/us/services/terms/index.html?tsid=s1

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html