PDA

View Full Version : Can you order OLL lowers more than one at a time?

Afterburnt
11-05-2009, 8:11 PM
The only places I know are far, can I buy more that one at a time?

five.five-six
11-05-2009, 8:12 PM
how much money do you have?

evidens83
11-05-2009, 8:20 PM
Since a lower is considered the firearm I thought you can only buy one at a time??? Correct me if I'm wrong.

JCal49
11-05-2009, 8:21 PM
Yes u can. Start your 10 day and buy as much as you want.

Cokebottle
11-05-2009, 8:22 PM
Like 556 said... you can purchase as many as you would like.
There is no "one every 30 days" rule like there is for handguns.

What I don't know though, is if the 10 day waiting period runs concurrently, or if, say you order 3 lowers, you can get them "out of jail" in 10, 20, and 30 days.

I'm sure 556 has an answer for that.

Cokebottle
11-05-2009, 8:24 PM
Since a lower is considered the firearm I thought you can only buy one at a time??? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Handgun and long gun regs are different.
Handguns may only be purchased once every 30 days, and no more than 6 per year.

Legally, you can purchase as many long guns (and your lower is DROSed as a long gun) as you'd like... but like I said, I don't know if you can get more than one at a time out of the 10 day impound (which would effectively limit you to 36 long guns per year).

mls343
11-05-2009, 8:33 PM
Once you go through the 10 day jail time, you can pick up as many rifles/lowers as you want on that single DROS.

Unit74
11-05-2009, 8:34 PM
I got two lowers in the same day, picked up both of them up in 10 days.

I bought two 17HMR complete rifles.....same story.

You can get as many as you want all at the same time! Buy the armory if you'd like.

elrcastor
11-05-2009, 8:36 PM

Legally, you can purchase as many long guns (and your lower is DROSed as a long gun) as you'd like... but like I said, I don't know if you can get more than one at a time out of the 10 day impound (which would effectively limit you to 36 long guns per year).

Actually the 6per year is for selling handguns, if you are buying from deal inventory you are limited to 12 per year, otherwise PPT's and interfamily tansfers you can do as many as you want!!

five.five-six
11-05-2009, 8:38 PM
there is a very strict limit as to how many long guns you can purchase on one drose

***edit**** if you are willing to make more than one trip, then I guess you are not subject to the "one car full of guns rule"

Vin496
11-05-2009, 8:40 PM
Like 556 said... you can purchase as many as you would like.
There is no "one every 30 days" rule like there is for handguns.

What I don't know though, is if the 10 day waiting period runs concurrently, or if, say you order 3 lowers, you can get them "out of jail" in 10, 20, and 30 days.

I'm sure 556 has an answer for that.

Cokebottle your passing along some bad info.

There is no 1 gun 30 day rule for Long Guns(rifles/shotguns). You can purchase as many as you want. If you buy 10 at one time you pick up all 10 at the same time after waiting 10 days.

Your handgun comment is completely wrong. There is a 1/30 rule for guns purchased from an FFL. PPT purchases are exempt fromt the rule.

You probably got the 6 guns a year from the fact that you can only sell 6 guns per year. This has nothing to do with how many you can purchase new, though that will be 12 from an FFL, due to the 1/30 rule. There are exceptions for FFL03 holders with a COE.

Rukus
11-05-2009, 8:51 PM
Vin, you're a little mixed up on that 6 handgun sales per year as well...

You are limited to 6 handgun transactions per year. Not neccessarily six guns if you sell more than one handgun per transaction. (is it even 6? I thought it was 5 transactions)

Seesm
11-05-2009, 8:53 PM
Buy em in a 24 pack if you please... :)

Mssr. Eleganté
11-05-2009, 9:33 PM
(is it even 6? I thought it was 5 transactions)

You thought right! The law says "less than six transactions", so five transactions is correct. And you are also correct about "transaction" meaning "a single sale, lease, or transfer of any number of pistols".

Vinz
11-05-2009, 11:23 PM

You are limited to 6 handgun transactions per year. Not neccessarily six guns if you sell more than one handgun per transaction. (is it even 6? I thought it was 5 transactions)
I have read that if you buy more than 10 (long guns) it puts up a DOJ flag but it was said to be FUD.

You can also sell more than six long guns as the law reads:

(c) (1) As used in this section, "infrequent" means:
(A) For pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being
concealed upon the person, less than six transactions per calendar
year. For this purpose, "transaction" means a single sale, lease, or
transfer of any number of pistols, revolvers, or other firearms
capable of being concealed upon the person.
(B) For firearms other than pistols, revolvers, or other firearms
capable of being concealed upon the person, occasional and without
regularity.

vinz

Vin496
11-06-2009, 7:50 AM

Sorry, it was later in the day for me, and I forgot to word it as 6 transactions.

MasterYong
11-06-2009, 7:53 AM
I bought all my lowers at once. That was 5 lowers in one DROS.

Get as many as you can afford.

bombadillo
11-06-2009, 8:44 AM
I bought three last time. IIRC he told me that he would put up to 5 lowers on one dros form. After that its another 25 bucks to dros 5 more if I wanted that many. He did only charge me the 50 bucks to take them as a transfer though so it was a pretty good deal really. 50 bucks dros and transfer for 3 lowers.

geeknow
11-06-2009, 8:47 AM
The only places I know are far, can I buy more that one at a time?

yep...:cool:

MasterYong
11-06-2009, 8:49 AM
I bought three last time. IIRC he told me that he would put up to 5 lowers on one dros form. After that its another 25 bucks to dros 5 more if I wanted that many. He did only charge me the 50 bucks to take them as a transfer though so it was a pretty good deal really. 50 bucks dros and transfer for 3 lowers.

Isn't that illegal? I don't think he can charge for a DROS twice just because you put more than 5 on it...

geeknow
11-06-2009, 8:50 AM
there is a very strict limit as to how many long guns you can purchase on one drose

***edit**** if you are willing to make more than one trip, then I guess you are not subject to the "one car full of guns rule"

too funny!..I was trying to figure out what you were referring to...and then I remembered...80,000 lbs gross vehicle weight, right?...:D

yeah, that is a strict one...the fines get big...:p

Q
11-06-2009, 9:28 AM
I have read that if you buy more than 10 (long guns) it puts up a DOJ flag but it was said to be FUD.

You can also sell more than six long guns as the law reads:

(c) (1) As used in this section, "infrequent" means:
(A) For pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being
concealed upon the person, less than six transactions per calendar
year. For this purpose, "transaction" means a single sale, lease, or
transfer of any number of pistols, revolvers, or other firearms
capable of being concealed upon the person.
(B) For firearms other than pistols, revolvers, or other firearms
capable of being concealed upon the person, occasional and without
regularity.

vinz

A FFL told me that some guy got in trouble for ordering too many lowers.. It might have been just them telling me a story but I think it might be suspicious if I was in their shoes.. I think it was like 20 lowers or something like that that were all the same. Of course this was back in the day, when the OLL movement just started.. Strange thing was the FFL told me the guys name and I knew a guy from elementary school with the same name.

till44
11-06-2009, 12:02 PM
I recently did 5 at once, my buddy did 8! The FFL said at 10 DOJ may give you a call to make sure you're not selling them.

PEBKAC
11-06-2009, 12:18 PM
You shouldn't have any issue buying more than one at a time. Just DROS them all at the same time and pick them up 10 days later. Simple. :)

high_revs
11-06-2009, 12:23 PM
i bought 3 at one time and put them all on a single dross. then i did it again 2 years after. no issues. i'd put as much on a single dros though i probably will not be buying more than 3 or 4 at most. but doing multiple on a single dros brings down your avg (total) FFL cost per lower.

this last time, i wanted to dros a rifle, lower and a pistol. but the pistol i wanted wasn't in stock. darn!

bombadillo
11-06-2009, 3:04 PM
Isn't that illegal? I don't think he can charge for a DROS twice just because you put more than 5 on it...

I kinda thought the same thing at first and actually questioned it, but he is willing to take transfers for $25 bucks a pop no matter who it comes from and I don't often order more than 5 lowers at a time so i'm not going to worry about it. The reasoning behind it was that there are 5 spaces I guess on the sheet to write info down on each long gun. The next dros was for the next 5. It probably is illegal but i'm not gonna burn a bridge when its only 25 bucks for a transfer when others are charging 150 plus dros you know.

CHS
11-06-2009, 3:44 PM
I don't think I've seen this much BAD and FALSE information in a single thread in a LOOOOOONG time.

Purchasing firearms:

Handguns from dealer inventory - 1 per 30 day period. This includes in-state or out-of-state transfers, even from a private party.
Handguns from consignment or PPT - As many as you want. 1 per DROS fee though which breaks down to $25 for the first gun and $19 for each additional gun. PPT means face to face.
Anything else, including AR receivers - As many as you can afford per a single DROS fee. ALL will be picked up after the 10-day wait is completed.

As to the dealer that only allowed 5 at a time, that's because he doesn't know how to read. The 4473 paperwork only allows you to add 5 firearms to it. However, in the instructions on the very same paperwork, it informs you that a customer may do more than 5, and the rest of the information must be put on a paper that you include with the 4473.

Now, as to the DROS software, when you go to start one it asks you how many firearms are being transferred. The maximum amount you can select is 99, but this number is purely statistical and carries no legal weight. You can put "1", and then sell the guy 3 lowers.

The largest amount of lowers that I transferred to an individual was 10. The first five were entered on the 4473 and the last five were written on a sheet of paper attached to the 4473. There was was DROS fee charged and one DROS submitted.

As to selling firearms, if you are *REGULARLY* selling firearms, you are limited to less than 6 *transactions* per year. Note the term "regularly". If you need to liquidate your estate due to financial difficulties for example, you can sell 100 guns in 100 transactions in 2 months if you like without actually breaking the law, because they aren't REGULAR transactions.

CHS
11-06-2009, 3:48 PM
The reasoning behind it was that there are 5 spaces I guess on the sheet to write info down on each long gun.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the DROS. The DROS lets you do up to 99 long guns. There is no firearm information submitted via DROS AT ALL, unless it's a handgun.

As to the 4473, section D is where you have 5 spaces to write in the firearm information. Under "Notices, Instructions And Definitions" for Section D it states:

"If more than five firearms are involved in a transaction, the information required by Section D, questions 26-30, must be provided for the additional firearms on a separate sheet of paper, which must be attached to the ATF Form 4473 covering the transaction."

Since you actually hold onto the 4473 while you're filling it out, you might want to show that little paragraph to your buddy :)

mquejr
11-06-2009, 4:03 PM
you wallet is your limit

five.five-six
11-06-2009, 4:31 PM
too funny!..I was trying to figure out what you were referring to...and then I remembered...80,000 lbs gross vehicle weight, right?...:D

yeah, that is a strict one...the fines get big...:p

I am glad you got it.... my faith in humanity is restored

bombadillo
11-06-2009, 6:09 PM
That has absolutely nothing to do with the DROS. The DROS lets you do up to 99 long guns. There is no firearm information submitted via DROS AT ALL, unless it's a handgun.

As to the 4473, section D is where you have 5 spaces to write in the firearm information. Under "Notices, Instructions And Definitions" for Section D it states:

"If more than five firearms are involved in a transaction, the information required by Section D, questions 26-30, must be provided for the additional firearms on a separate sheet of paper, which must be attached to the ATF Form 4473 covering the transaction."

Since you actually hold onto the 4473 while you're filling it out, you might want to show that little paragraph to your buddy :)

Good to know if I ever need more than 5 lowers at any given time. It was what the shop owner told me and I knew it was off but I didn't know how so thanks for clarifying. If I need more than a handful at a time, which I doubt I'll give a little prodding, but as stated above i'm never going to DROS more than 5 lowers at a time and he's doing it for 25 bucks so no skin off my nose. Good lookin out and it helps to work at a gun dealer :p