PDA

View Full Version : need help with FTF transfer

seabee
11-05-2009, 6:20 PM
ok here is the story a friend would like to give me a SKS rifle sight unseen.
So the rifle was given to him buy a friend who moved out of the country and was not legally transfered to him. So this is what I would like to know is how do I get it and make it legal for me to own?

Also does any one know if I can sell it to a out of state person if it is a illegal SKS if its not registered to me?

My friend does not want the rifle and we both want to make it legal.
Please help.

dantodd
11-05-2009, 6:27 PM
As long as it is legal for you to own you can PPT the rifle at any FFL. There are no ownership records on rifles and nowhere does the seller have to make any statements that would purger him regarding how he obtained the firearm.

Depending upon how long ago your friend acquired the firearm it may be past the statue of limitations or he may have received it before the need to use an FFL.

PLEASE DO NOT POST DATES OR ANY MORE INFORMATION ON HOW HE ACQUIRED THE GUN!!!!!

If the gun is not legal to possess in CA. Run away as far as you can. Your friend should hire an attorney to turn the gun in for him at the local PD. Trying to ship the gun out of the state could land you in jail just for trying to make a couple bucks. It isn't worth it to mess with illegal arms in CA.

Quiet
11-05-2009, 7:14 PM
What kind of SKS is it?
Do you know the country of origin and what year it was made?
The Yugoslavian and Chinese SKS are not older than 50 years old. Russian SKS are. Most Albanian & East German SKS are as well (need to check serial numbers/year of manufacture).

If the SKS is 50 or more years old, than it is legal to do a FTF transaction (cash & carry, no paperwork required) of one in CA.

Penal Code 12078
(t)(2) Subdivision (d) and paragraph (1) of subdivision (f) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the infrequent sale, loan, or transfer of a firearm that is not a handgun, which is a curio or relic manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or its successor.

dantodd
11-05-2009, 7:48 PM
Thanks for the reminder Quiet. I forgot to include the C&R exception.

Cokebottle
11-05-2009, 8:08 PM
PLEASE DO NOT POST DATES OR ANY MORE INFORMATION ON HOW HE ACQUIRED THE GUN!!!!!

If the gun is not legal to possess in CA.
Cannot be emphasized enough.

SKS with fixed mag is legal, SKS with removable mag is illegal and cannot be made legal (BB no help, it's a listed lower).
Do not tell us what he has... just check.