PDA

View Full Version : Colt Series 70

StanOwen
04-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Hello http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Can someone please explain what all the hype is regarding the Colt Series 70?

I've noticed that alot of people respond to the "What handgun would you like to own that's not on Californias roster of approved handguns?" posts with the Colt Series 70.

I don't know anything about them.

StanOwen
04-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Hello http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Can someone please explain what all the hype is regarding the Colt Series 70?

I've noticed that alot of people respond to the "What handgun would you like to own that's not on Californias roster of approved handguns?" posts with the Colt Series 70.

I don't know anything about them.

jdberger
04-01-2005, 10:26 PM
I always learned that there wasn't a firing-pin safety that could possibly jam up during a bad time. Something about a plunger... http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

simonp
04-01-2005, 10:45 PM
No firing pin safety which gave it a better trigger, better rollmarks. Lots of people love them, the good ones are great but there are mediocre and bad ones that slipped through the QC in the bad days of Colt. Plus most people want what they cant get so that drives them up more here. The new Colt repro S70 is supposed to be excellent fit and finish and great trigger not that you can get them here either.

CraigC
04-02-2005, 12:40 AM
The Series 70, as everyone's mentioned, has no firing pin safety, as per the original design of the 1911.

The firing pin safety is tied to the trigger. Pulling the trigger unlocks the firing pin just before the break.... but since it's tied to the trigger, it alters the feel of the trigger pull.

Kimber tried getting around this by going with the Schwartz design. The firing pin safety is tied to the grip safety. It's why all of their new designs carry a "II" after them. In both cases, pre-firing pin safety guns are always more desireable.

StanOwen
04-02-2005, 12:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CraigC:
The Series 70, as everyone's mentioned, has no firing pin safety, as per the original design of the 1911.

The firing pin safety is tied to the trigger. Pulling the trigger unlocks the firing pin just before the break.... but since it's tied to the trigger, it alters the feel of the trigger pull.

Kimber tried getting around this by going with the Schwartz design. The firing pin safety is tied to the grip safety. It's why all of their new designs carry a "II" after them. In both cases, pre-firing pin safety guns are always more desireable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the great responses.

I'm assuming that 1911's without a firing pin safety aren't on California's Roster of Approved Handguns simply because they won't pass the drop test? Is that to say that if they are dropped, they may (although slim) possibly go off?

Again, I appreciate all of the responses. I learned alot.

atham@earthlink.net
04-02-2005, 1:07 PM
I think it's much more a matter of principle since the Series 80 1911s work just fine. In fact the Colt 1991s with NRM are some of the best guns Colt has been turning out in a long time. The drop test, IMHO, is really a non-issue. There are several 1911s on the approved list that don't have any kind of firing pin safety.

Black_Talon
04-02-2005, 5:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan Owen:

I'm assuming that 1911's without a firing pin safety aren't on California's Roster of Approved Handguns simply because they won't pass the drop test? Is that to say that if they are dropped, they may (although slim) possibly go off? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, that's not it either. The Springfield Professional, the Les Baers and several other guns that are on the DOJ List are built using the '70 Series system w/o any additional safeties added to them. They pass the drop test with the addition of a titanium firing pin and a heavier firing pin spring.

Kruzr
04-03-2005, 3:26 PM
Baers use a 38 super firing pin rather than a Titanium one.

Everyone forgets that the Series 70 also had the dreaded collet bushing. It's not a question if they will break, but rather when. Most folks replaced them with solid bushings after they broke.

bear
04-04-2005, 8:23 AM
As far as I can tell, my Baer doesn't have any titanium firing pin. As far as I know, the Wilson Combat CQB doesn't, nor the Rock Island, Charles Daly, Armscor, SVI, STI, nor Valtro.

Nothing special needed for these 70 Series actions to pass.

I'm convinced the reason Colt and now Kimber won't submit their current 70 series actions is because they WILL pass. And that would make their firing pin safety systems look redundant, and by extnesion, them a little foolish for hyping them so much.

simonp
04-04-2005, 11:35 AM
I think you are wrong Bear, Colt and Kimber would happily sell their guns here if they could, their S70 repros and the WWII reissues they have now would be selling like hotcakes in the PRK if they could pass.
Wilson or Baer, I cant remember who started and I think some of the Springers now have a stiffer spring and Ti pin to pass the test, you swap them out later

imported_Matt-man
04-04-2005, 7:07 PM
Springfield uses titanium firing pins and heavier springs. Baer's firing pin is steel.

The Springfield I have runs just fine with the factory firing pin and spring. I don't see any reason to swap out anything.

bear
04-06-2005, 8:27 AM
Colt can't keep up with their 70 Series reproduction sales now. Think like a business man, why bother to certify for CA when you sell every one you make and still can't meet the demand, already.

Kimber, I don't know really know why they won't submit the Warrior, nor their 25th anniversary models for CA testing. We do know that 70-series actions will pass, is Rock Island better built than Kimber? Rock Island passed without Series II safety, no titanium firing pin, no Series 80 safety. Are the $389 Rock Islands built better ("safer") than the Kimber Warrior?

Kruzr
04-06-2005, 8:51 AM
bear, "safer" is a definition made up by legislators who know very little about firearms. (I know your question is sarcastic)

jdberger
04-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Sometimes I wonder why the manufacturers even sell guns to CA. Such an asinine system. http://www.calguns.net/banghead.gif

I find it amazing that a python in stainless is OK while one in blue or nickle isn't.

Bring on the redistricting!

Kruzr
04-06-2005, 11:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sometimes I wonder why the manufacturers even sell guns to CA. Such an asinine system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Because in spite of all the BS, Califonia supposedly still accounts for between 15% and 18% (+-) of all firearm sales in the US.

jdberger
04-06-2005, 1:53 PM
According to the DOJ website, 145,335 hadguns and 169,730 long guns were sold in the state in 2004.

If each sale was assessed a DROS fee of $25, that would be $7,876,625 in fees alone that the state recieved from the sales of firearms to citizens. Sales tax adds an additional 8% onto the total value of the sold guns.

All of that money goes into the State budget. If manufacturers would refuse to send guns here for just one year, the state would take an economic hit to the tune of about $20 million.

Now we would have something to bargain with.

(sorry if I'm hijacking this thread)

gunsnrovers
04-06-2005, 4:29 PM
The differences have all been laid out above.

That being said, any smith worth his salt can give you an awesome trigger pull using S80 parts for just a few bucks more then the more traditional S70. The S80 block has been around for a LONG time and has proven very reliable and effective. It's fun to be a purist and pooh pooh the design, but the fact remains that it works, it works well, and it's easy to gunsmith into a high quality feel.

Y. Lee Quiote
04-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Only guns currently in production are submitted for drop testing since there's no reason to pay to keep discontinued guns on the list. The Series '70 would pass fine, but since Colt doesn't sell this model any longeer why should they pay thousands to have it tested?

The differences are tiny. I have owned both the worry over the firing pin safety was 99% over-blown hype.

Here are my '70 Colts. Gold Cup and .38 Super Gov't Model.

http://www.fototime.com/10462C8A5359CBC/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/CB818F74C561E3F/standard.jpg

BigAL
04-09-2005, 4:25 PM
According to http://www.colt.com/CMCI/pistols.asp Colt still sells the Series 70.

simonp
04-10-2005, 6:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BigAL:
According to http://www.colt.com/CMCI/pistols.asp Colt still sells the Series 70. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They sell a new "repro" series 70 that is supposedly exceptional, far better QC than the original ones. How I wish we could get them here in the soviet zone