PDA

View Full Version : Spare parts bin

Afterburnt
11-05-2009, 4:46 PM
Over many years I have collected a lot of spare parts, stocks, barrels, grips etc. Occasionally it has been good to have them on hand for various reasons, mostly for returning stuff to original configurations when necessary. Do you guys keep a heap of parts left over from mods or do you sell them off as you go? I have all kinds of parts that require attention mostly to keep rust away and it is a pita. Not worn out stuff mind you, I have a bad habit of modifying everything I have sooner or later, mostly sooner.

Jonathan Doe
11-05-2009, 4:48 PM
I keep my parts. I will eventually need them some time later.

anyracoon
11-05-2009, 4:52 PM
Depending on what it is. I keep alot of spare parts in a large plastic bin/box. Stocks, forearms, extra upper receivers, barrels, springs, etc. Always have my Son-In-Law borrowing parts & tools for his Toys. Probally could put together 3 or for if I had extra lowers.

slik556
11-05-2009, 9:26 PM
I am pretty much a packrat when it comes to stock parts off of my guns. I keep to put back to original.. If I buy something that I change my mind on I will get rid of it but for the most part parts is parts and I have them all.....

smle-man
11-06-2009, 8:45 AM
I built a Lee Enfield rifle out of the spares I have accumilated over the years. It was mostly a #1mk3 although it had a few #4 parts such as the magazine and buttstock. It was fun to do and cleaned up a bunch of stuff I had laying about.

Untamed1972
11-06-2009, 9:19 AM
I have all kinds of parts that require attention mostly to keep rust away and it is a pita. Not worn out stuff mind you, I have a bad habit of modifying everything I have sooner or later, mostly sooner.

You should invest in one of those foodsaver vacuum sealers. Clean up your metal parts, light coat of oil and seal them in a plastic bag. I know a race car guy that does that will alot of small parts, carb stuff and whatnot.

I want to get one to use for a variety of things around the house. But one thought I had was some guns I don't use often, clean them up good, oil them, and seal them in a vacuum bag with a small desicant pack, then no need to worry about rust, dust or anything else until you wanna use it again.

Afterburnt
11-06-2009, 6:04 PM
You should invest in one of those foodsaver vacuum sealers. Clean up your metal parts, light coat of oil and seal them in a plastic bag. I know a race car guy that does that will alot of small parts, carb stuff and whatnot.

I want to get one to use for a variety of things around the house. But one thought I had was some guns I don't use often, clean them up good, oil them, and seal them in a vacuum bag with a small desicant pack, then no need to worry about rust, dust or anything else until you wanna use it again.

Excellent idea, I should be so thoughful and organized! Just the idea of getting something else to "own me" gives me pause. Sometimes I dont want another gun, another caliber or eventually another safe! But after trying my friends XD I think I need one of those too! Oh well now I have about 263 items on my wish list... I am sure couch time is cheaper.

technique
11-06-2009, 6:06 PM
I have built guns from my spare parts bins....insane!

AJAX22
11-06-2009, 6:16 PM
I have built guns from my spare parts bins....insane!

Same here....

I went over to Randall's one night and I think we assembled 6 complete rifles out of my spare parts that had accumulated. (this was right before I left CA for NYC)

I tend to sell off my spare parts, and then use the money to buy other spare parts...... and somehow the guns breed in the closet...

freonr22
11-06-2009, 6:18 PM
anyone have a 1903a3 long screw to send?? I lost one (action to floorplate??

Rob454
11-06-2009, 6:46 PM
I keep some stuff other stuff i sell or give away

jsmith8918
11-06-2009, 7:44 PM
It's amazing how small parts stick around in my garage... the overwhelming majority of them have stayed much longer than the various handguns or rifles they came off of that are long gone!

Fjold
11-06-2009, 9:17 PM
I keep all the old spare parts. I built this from parts that were laying around.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Guns/SavageAfter.jpg

Timberwolf
11-06-2009, 10:15 PM
I have a lot of spare parts - but I never seem to have the right part that I need when I need one - story of my life. Hell I even have parts for rifles I don't even have anymore.