PDA

View Full Version : ? on NDS lower FFL

Cokebottle
11-05-2009, 4:37 PM
What's the standard practice of FFL's on importing an NDS receiver, specifically the AK lowers with respect to fees?

If an FFL normally charges $60 + $35 for a completed gun, are these fees the same for a bare stamped receiver?

I'm looking into options for my first AK, and would like to follow recommendations to just start with a bent receiver rather than bending my own. Eliminates the heat treating and most of the press work other than headspacing (I just don't have room for a press at home)...

But if a $60 receiver is going to cost me another $60-$100 to bring into the state, it's starting to push the cost up into the range of a completed unit from a shop like CWS once you factor in the cost of 922(r) parts and with parts kits running $300+.

Do any SoCal shops stock the NDS receivers at a price closer to MSRP + DROS?

It's looking like a Saiga conversion would actually be cheaper than a raw build using an NDS receiver... but I really want some nice wood furniture, which I understand is not compatible with the Saiga handguard hardware.

I guess I should just suck it up and figure out how to fit a press into my garage, as ultimately I'd like to build a couple of pistols, which of course, will have to be built from a flat.

69Mach1
11-05-2009, 4:44 PM
That's about right. Usually around $40-$50 for transfer fee, plus DROS. I have not come accross any shops that stocked NDS receivers close to what Nodal has them listed for. The secret to saving on transfer fees is to buy at least 3 to combine on the DROS.

jdberger
11-05-2009, 4:49 PM
That's about right. Usually around $40-$50 for transfer fee, plus DROS. I have not come accross any shops that stocked NDS receivers close to what Nodal has them listed for. The secret to saving on transfer fees is to buy at least 3 to combine on the DROS.

That's the ticket. Buy lots and save!

There should be a list of FFLs somewhere on the site with respective transfer fees. I'll post it if I find it first.

Cokebottle
11-05-2009, 4:50 PM
Gotcha'.

I guess the most economical way to go really is with a flat then, or a Saiga conversion.

If I didn't want wood, I wouldn't hesitate on a Saiga, but with the limited handguard options, I'd rather hold off on the Saiga as a build for my wife (she wants Tacticool).

Cokebottle
11-05-2009, 4:56 PM
That's the ticket. Buy lots and save!

There should be a list of FFLs somewhere on the site with respective transfer fees. I'll post it if I find it first.
I've seen that sticky (and even copied/pasted the local FFLs charging $60 or less to a file on my desktop).
Of course, it doesn't indicate which ones are OLL friendly, though it does list a few as no-OLL.

Cheapest is $25 in HB... then there's a bunch at $30 and $35.
O.C. Armory is listed as "$35($10) Rifle $55/Pistol $45/Receiver $35"
Not sure if that includes DROS or not, but it might... my friend brought in a BB-equipped Ruger 5.56 through "a place off the 405" and he said it was $60 OTD.