PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps a Kassnar would be to your liking?

lomalinda
11-05-2009, 10:36 AM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=144691487

A bit outta my price range but others here might feel differently.

berg
11-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Those are collector's items now. The underfolder is even more valuable.

lomalinda
11-05-2009, 10:56 AM
They sure are, and by posting this I am hoping to "help" it get into this state versus another.

Here's a little background on the Kassnar stuff. It might have been posted before but whatever:

http://www.mausercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1273

Excerpt:

"The Kassnar Hungarian AKs were imported only in limited numbers and this was due to a BATF error in policy. At this time the Chinese had started importing large numbers of semi automatic Kalshnikov rifles and an import permit was also in place to allow American Arms and Mitchell Arms to import their own semiauto AKs from Yugoslavia. The geopolitics of the era rated China and Yugoslavia as countries (and governments) which had been granted "favored nation" import status and their products were allowed into the United States with few restrictions and at very low tarriffs. At this same time Hungary was locked behind the Iron Curtan resulting in Hungarian firearms being subjected to the same restrictions and heavy tarriffs which CZ pistols from Czechoslovakia, commercial firearms from East German firms like Thallman and all other Soviet Bloc firearms. These Eastern Bloc firearms were taxed so heavily that it was simply not economical to import them into this country.

For reasons not fully understood Kassnar some how managed to have his import permit approved and his Hungarian firearms escaped the brutal tarriffs which should have been imposed. In addition to AKs, Kassnar also brought the first FEG made High Power pistol clones to be commercially imported into the United States, pistols which had previously only been imported by returning US service members or "under the table". When the first Hungarian AKs were imported they were priced on par with the ChiCom Kalashnikovs at around $300 to $350 dealer cost. The fixed stock rifles were imported in smaller numbers than the under folders and are harder to locate but these do not seem to bring much of a premium...although I like them! It did not take long for the BATFE to learn of it's error in allowing these Hungarian firearms into the United States and Kassnar soon found his import permits to have been canceled and the prices of exisiting Hungarian AKs already in the United States began their steady climb until the 1989 Bush Ban went into effect and then the sky was the limit for NIB examples. These are great rifles and in my own opinion only the Yugoslavian AKMs can match the quality of a Hungarian AK. I have always considered Valmets and Galils to be a different class of rifles since they are not straight Kalashnikov designs."

till44
11-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Love the blonde wood, great looking rifle. But too much for me.

redcliff
11-05-2009, 11:58 AM
They really are nicely built firearms. If we ever have a far north Calguns shoot I'll bring my r.a.w. Kassnar SA85m underfolder out for folks to try.