PDA

View Full Version : Ever hear of mountain man "Dick Proenneke?"

TrailerparkTrash
09-23-2005, 5:02 PM
I saw an old color film on TV about him last week on the Discovery Channel (i think?). That guy is my "outdoors hero."

He was a mountain man that lived in Alaska for over 35 years up until about 1998. The video documents his time he hand crafted a log cabin with "old school" technology and lots of sweat!

I wish I had a cabin like his to hunt in every year. You can type his name in a search engine and lots of info will pop up if you're interested.

berto
09-23-2005, 7:29 PM
Great film. I saw it on PBS and found the book about Proenneke, it's a great read and tells more of his story.

imported_buffybuster
10-04-2005, 6:39 PM
Dick was "the man"!

10-07-2005, 8:14 AM
If you're interested in his life story, you may, be interestd in another man's quest for remote living. I read a book called "Crusoe of Lonesome Lake" over 50 years ago. It's a similar story of a rugged individualism, of a man who carved out a wilderness homestead for many, many, years.
This book so inspired me, that, when I got older, I too traveled to the wilderness and went 50 miles over dirt logging roads to the west coast of Vancouver Island in search of my "wilderness experience". For 10 years I survived 180 inch per year rainfall and built a similar homestead.
After I completed the homestead, I returned to
to my native California for new adventures.
Ron Widel

jtv3062
11-04-2005, 11:43 AM
that was a good video on pbs. makes me wish i was born 100 years ago

M1A Rifleman
11-04-2005, 1:28 PM
If I recall correctly, he lived in the cabin until he was about 80, then it was donated to the USFS, and it now a historic place/monument. I believe he passed away a few years ago. It was cool to see him hunting the big game with a sporterized 1903A3.

edwardm
11-05-2005, 10:37 AM
I saw an old color film on TV about him last week on the Discovery Channel (i think?). That guy is my "outdoors hero."

He was a mountain man that lived in Alaska for over 35 years up until about 1998. The video documents his time he hand crafted a log cabin with "old school" technology and lots of sweat!

I wish I had a cabin like his to hunt in every year. You can type his name in a search engine and lots of info will pop up if you're interested.

Not to sound like the Amazon.com "suggestion" thing, but you might also like a book "Tough Trip Through Paradise". Cover's a guy's travels and life in Montana from after Custer, onwards. It's an amazing story.

MaxQ
11-20-2005, 6:48 AM
It's on again tonight at 9pm on KLCS channel 58, one of the socal PBS stations. A lot of cable systems and Dish Network carry it.

It's really worth seeing and taping. I thoroughly enjoyed it. He sure is a tough old bird. On some of my solo hikes through Death Valley and the Sierras, I got the tiniest glimpse of the sense of isolation he must have felt. Chilling, but awesome and invigorating. It really makes you feel like a speck of dust.

jtv3062
11-20-2005, 10:40 AM
whats the name of that show i dont see it listed but might be able to do a title search. thanks

MaxQ
11-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Alaska: Silence and Solitude

jtv3062
11-20-2005, 12:11 PM
thank you Max its not playing the sf bay area

MaxQ
11-20-2005, 8:22 PM
jtv3062 - Its also called - Alone in the Wilderness. I finally remembered that name from the last time I saw it. The title I gave earlier was from the local pbs listing, but it just didn't seem familiar. I did a pbs search and it's on KQED on Tuesday, 11/29/05 at 9pm.

jtv3062
11-20-2005, 8:23 PM
thanks Max ill remind it thanks

SLB
12-01-2005, 8:48 PM
Yeah, I saw that almost a year ago on PBS as well. Was pretty darned interesting to say the least. I can't believe how quick he was splitting wood to create 2x4's. I also like how he made everything out of wood, including the dowels and hinges for his door!

- N

TrailerparkTrash
12-09-2005, 3:13 PM
There are two videos that I know of. One is "Alone in the Wilderness" which is 90min long and it's all about Dick Proenneke.

The second video is "Alaska: Silence & Solitutude" which only shows Dick in varying clips. Both are outstanding and are on PBS every now and then.

Both videos may be purchased from a web site called:
http://dickproenneke.com

happy trails.....

MaxQ
07-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Alaska: Silence and Solitude is on again tonight at 10pm, on socal PBS affiliate KLCS channel 58.

It's really worth seeing, so if anyone's been waiting for it to be on again, here's your chance.