PDA

View Full Version : Pepper spray tolerance????

HUTCH 7.62
11-05-2009, 9:21 AM
How do you build up an immunity to pepperspay and teargas

slagusmc
11-05-2009, 9:44 AM
I dont think that it is possible to build up an immunity. Some people are naturally very tolerant of OC and CS but if you arent that in that small percentage then the best u can do is try not to panic when u are exposed to these agents. In the MarineCorps, we did the "gas chamber" every year(usually more than once a year,lol) and the point of it is to build confidence in your gas mask, and teach you not to panic and teach you to fight your way through it. The chemical effects are the same. I currently qualify with OC spray in much the same way, the more u get sprayed, the more you learn to fight through it, people that arent used to it just panic when they cant see or breath well. Learn to control your panic and use your tools at hand, but the chemical effects will always suck,lol

JOEKILLA
11-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Not necessarily for immunity, but exposure helps out.

Super Spy
11-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Join the Mossad......

HUTCH 7.62
11-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Join the Mossad......
I thought of this thread while reading about that fellow.

Dirtbiker
11-05-2009, 11:41 AM
I'll take a bath in CS before I get OC'd in the eyes again.

GOT DANG that hurt. I especially like it when the pepper gets behind your eyeballs. LOVELY :rolleyes:

HAVOC5150
11-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Don't know about tolerance, but you can learn to deal with the discomfort.

HUTCH 7.62
11-05-2009, 2:08 PM
So it's not building tolerance it's about overcoming the discomfort.

Res
11-05-2009, 2:12 PM
Just remember no means no, and you won't ever have to worry about it. :p

HUTCH 7.62
11-05-2009, 2:15 PM
Just remember no means no, and you won't ever have to worry about it. :p

LOL when I tell the cops that they never listen

grammaton76
11-05-2009, 2:44 PM
I've read that the more spicy food you eat, the less pepper spray bothers you.

Start ratcheting up the spice in your order at Thai places. I'm up to a 30/10 at Di-Chan in San Diego (they just do 3x a level 10 dose).

Contrary to popular belief, there's no "gee, all you taste is the heat" thing. When your tolerance is built up, you still taste the food.

HAVOC5150
11-05-2009, 3:25 PM
I've been sprayed numerous times training, fights, pranks, stupidity. But as far as it goes at least for me, the eyes water up and the snot flows freely, throat burns, coughin etc. Not that I like it but I can deal with it pretty well.

JaMail
11-05-2009, 3:41 PM
in basic we had a sadistic DI, and instead of just popping one can in the gas chamber, he popped 3 of them, made us all sit there for 30 minutes with worn out masks.. you can feel it start to burn your skin, and then when you take it off and have to recite your social security, its all good.. then after all that, you realize why that was the one day they mysteriously had extra food and let you go up for 2nds and 3rds...

HUTCH 7.62
11-05-2009, 8:47 PM
I've read that the more spicy food you eat, the less pepper spray bothers you.

Start ratcheting up the spice in your order at Thai places. I'm up to a 30/10 at Di-Chan in San Diego (they just do 3x a level 10 dose).

Contrary to popular belief, there's no "gee, all you taste is the heat" thing. When your tolerance is built up, you still taste the food.

Dude if thats true I'm damn near GTG

bambam8d1
11-05-2009, 8:49 PM
to help out a fellow calgunner i will personally take it upon myself to help you train... i will pepperspray you repeatedly everday

HUTCH 7.62
11-05-2009, 8:51 PM
LOL but Dog is my guide

Navyguy0023
11-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Constant exposure to it can make some people less affected/more resistant. I have seen people that had been sprayed 30+ times, when sprayed again acted like it was a strong slap in the face.

Just like SlagUSMC said, I think you can build up a resistance, but mostly I think its mental after your exposed enough.

Eroland7
11-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Exposure. Being a CO, I have been exposed to it deffinately over 100 times. In the beggining it would completely take me out, but now it barely affects me. I can fully function while exposed to it, i still have the uncontrolable coughing, but i can still keep my eyes open and fully function in an emergency situation.

grammaton76
11-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention, re: spice tolerance and OC.

I was eating at the Outback Steakhouse in Oceanside back in '04 or so, with my roomie. It was late at night, and a table of LEOs ended up sitting a few feet away.

A bit later, "Hey, my leg's wet. Your canister went off." Yep, one of the officers' OC canisters had discharged onto the other one's leg (they figured defective canister). Anyway, my roomie's a lightweight where spicy food is concerned, and his eyes were watering and he was coughing.

My first clue that something was going on, not having heard the "hey, my leg is wet" line, was hearing the whole side of the restaurant I was on start coughing. Then my roomie was coughing, etc. I felt a little scratching at my throat, but that was it. A lot of the other folks actually left the restaurant; my roomie and I finished our meal and that was it.

So, I tend to believe what I've heard about the OC - spicy food connection.

Untamed1972
11-06-2009, 10:38 AM
I'll take a bath in CS before I get OC'd in the eyes again.

GOT DANG that hurt. I especially like it when the pepper gets behind your eyeballs. LOVELY :rolleyes:

Roger that! Knew a guy who could get sprayed and be fine in 5 minutes. Me.....took over an hour. Then went home and showered and it started it all up again.

That's why I carry it with me all the time now. It works!

CS is like catchin' a big wiff of smoke from the campfire when the wind shifts. Get outta the smoke, cough a little and you're good to go.

olhunter
11-07-2009, 11:00 PM
+1 on SlagUSMC...it's learning not to panic when you get hit. It feels like you can't breathe, but you can. There was a guy in boot camp that panicked in the gas chamber. Threw off his mask, ran out the door screaming, up and over a hill with the DI's in hot pursuit and we never saw nor heard from him again. They probably found him somewhere, but we never found out what happened. That was CS. OC spray is definitely worse on the eyes, but you can power through it if you have to.