PDA

View Full Version : Private Security-Revolver for carry?

RedFord150
11-05-2009, 10:04 AM
My son is out of the military and trying to go back to school on the GI Bill.
He has a security clearance and is trying to pursue a job in private security for a large defense contractor. If hired, he still needs to get his 'Gun Card' and other paperwork requirements.
The only handgun he owns is a Colt Trooper Revolver in .357 mag. with a 4" Barrel and blued finish. The gun has a good trigger job and is immaculate. In fact, it was NIB until 2 years ago. We think it was manufactured in mid 70's.
We do not know anyone in private security. The question is really 2 parts;
1) Do private security employers allow revolvers for open carry?
2) If yes, would this modified out of production Colt be acceptable?
If this revolver is not acceptable, he will simply have to part with $500 or so for an acceptable semi-auto.
I would appreciate replies from industry insiders.
Thank you very much.

fourXfour
11-05-2009, 11:09 AM
I think it depends on the company, but most security guards I see carry revolvers. He should save his cash and get a semi down the road.

RedFord150
11-05-2009, 11:32 AM
I think it depends on the company, but most security guards I see carry revolvers. He should save his cash and get a semi down the road.

Thank you for your reply.
He will eventually buy a semi-auto. Right now, cash is short and he has yet to decide which SA he really likes. He has shot several and still wants to shoot several more. He also is trying to find out which models and calibers are acceptable to the most possible employers.
I am guessing 9mm and .40 are most common calibers, with .45 a distant 3rd.
I would also assume the most accepted models are from Glock, SA XD, Beretta 92/96, Sig, HK, and S&W.
He and I are both getting bit by the 1911 'Bug'. I hope I am not causing him more harm than good ;-).

leitung
11-05-2009, 11:33 AM
I sometimes carry my Ruger GP100 in .357 with a 4 inch barrel.

Many employers will him carry a revolver. Less shots + Hard trigger pull = less liability on their part (as they see it) On the flip side, many employers wont let you carry a 1911, as they see the easy trigger pull as a major liability.
I honestly worry more about a wrongful death suit from the family of the guard, not the person he shot. This why for my company, I let them carry the following.

The company I co own, I allow weapons with the following requirements:

Firearms:

Manufacturer: Sig Sauer, Colt, EAA, Glock, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Heckler & Koch, FN, Browning, Springfield Armory, CZ (With De-cocking Lever), Steyr, Kimber, Wilson Combat, Dan Wesson, Ed Brown Products, or Armscor Precision. (All other 1911 style models are subject to review)

Semi-Automatics: +P rated; Striker Fired, Single Action, Double Action/Single Action, or Double Action only in one of the following calibers:

9mm Luger, .40 S&W, .357SIG, 10mm Auto, .45 ACP/GAP

Must carry 2 extra magazines, legally acquired high capacity magazines are permitted.

Revolvers: +P rated, Double Action, in the following Calibers:

.38 Special, .357 Magnum

2 Extra Speed loaders are required with approved ammunition.

All Firearms: Must have at least a 4 inch barrel; be clean, and in working order.

Ammunition: Jacketed hollow points, from a reputable manufacturer (e.g. Remington, Federal, or Winchester). No full metal jackets, lead round nose, or wad cutters allowed. Must have +P rating.

Holster: At least a threat Level II, from a reputable manufacturer (e.g. Bianchi, Safariland), must be a belt holster with a low, mid or high ride. Drop legs not permitted w/o approval.

sixtus
11-05-2009, 12:45 PM
It depends on the company he's trying to go with. As far as the gun card is concerned, you put down which caliber you want (there's only certain calibers not allowed, like .50 AE). The company might not like the look of a revolver because they want to look "professional" like my company did, and thus require automatics.

He better be ready to wait though, because the background check takes about two months these days to get finished, maybe a little faster.

cal_gunner
11-05-2009, 7:30 PM
Also keep in mind that it takes 4-6 months to get the permit from BSIS.
they even state this on their website.

http://www.bsis.ca.gov/customer_service/faqs/firearms_permit.shtml
" It takes approximately four to six months to complete the process of issuing a permit. It is recommended that you wait at least four months before calling to check on the status of your Firearms Permit."

sytfu_RR
11-06-2009, 10:17 AM
If that revolver is nice I wouldn't use it for duty work, my Semi has marks and nicks from being holstered. I'm using a Safari Land level 3 RLS holster and the slide shows some wear from the firearm moving up in down inside the holster, the handle also has marks from hitting things ( as the handle sticks out the holster ). Aside from that speed reloads using the pouches that hold revolvers don't seem to be too efficient.

nick007g
11-06-2009, 11:43 AM
The company should provide the firearm and training, their insurance company usually requires it.