PDA

View Full Version : Big Reno Show - 11/13-15

huck
11-05-2009, 6:44 AM
http://www.bigrenoshow.com/

Anyone planning to go?

I have never been to this show. A few of us from Tracy area are heading up for the day on Saturday. I have never been to the Cabela's there, either. Sounds like MetroPawn may be fun to visit, too. Anything else?

Harley Quinn
11-05-2009, 6:53 AM
I plan on rolling that way, depending on the weather.
Was caught one year at Reno for a day trip, ended up a week, snowed in.

Had a great time though.
:)
Regards

Purple K
11-05-2009, 8:44 AM
Try Scheel's out in Sparks, it's way bigger than Cabelas.

coq
11-05-2009, 8:49 AM
http://www.bigrenoshow.com/

Anyone planning to go?

I have never been to this show. A few of us from Tracy area are heading up for the day on Saturday. I have never been to the Cabela's there, either. Sounds like MetroPawn may be fun to visit, too. Anything else?

I've been a couple of times. It's pretty crazy lately, but they'll have ammo and tons of guns, parts and accessories throughout 2 different large rooms. I go before opening and wait in the entrance line. It moves fast once doors are open, and better than waiting in ticket line later on.

packnrat
11-05-2009, 7:19 PM
Alas I can not make it this year. No time off.

But if someone goes I need a crossbolt and nut for a chinese sks. I live close to stockton. Can do a pickup in parts of the bay area.

Pm me if you are able to find one. Please.

huck
11-05-2009, 7:21 PM
I've been a couple of times. It's pretty crazy lately, but they'll have ammo and tons of guns, parts and accessories throughout 2 different large rooms. I go before opening and wait in the entrance line. It moves fast once doors are open, and better than waiting in ticket line later on.

I didn't think it would be a mess. We were going to leave here at a leisurely 8:00 and get there just before noon. Not a good idea?

huck
11-05-2009, 7:28 PM
Try Scheel's out in Sparks, it's way bigger than Cabelas.

Thanks.

Harley Quinn
11-06-2009, 7:19 AM
I didn't think it would be a mess. We were going to leave here at a leisurely 8:00 and get there just before noon. Not a good idea?

That sounds like the way to go... :)

Regards

Alexthewelder
11-06-2009, 8:27 AM
Im going!

coq
11-06-2009, 8:38 AM

Who knows? Spring show was crazy, but maybe the frenzy is over. Have fun.

martinihenry
11-06-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm going, too. Have been a few times before. Lots of old-west guns there...lots of Winchester lever guns. Lots of dental picks and sham-wows, if memory serves, too, but I guess that's unavoidable. My brother bought an SKS there a few years back for a song.
It's a HUGE show, it takes me the whole day to see my fill. I usually wind up finding what I need there, and am hoping that the great "huSSein ammo famine of '09" won't prevent me from finding some good, reasonably priced ammo.

trashman
11-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Not gonna make it this time...every time I got somehow another C&R S&W finds its way home with me...

--Neill

bwiese
11-08-2009, 4:37 PM
Dunno. Hope to go. Depends on schedule, WX, etc.

Spyder
11-08-2009, 5:18 PM
I'll be there. Anybody want to meet up for Bloody Mary's at the little bar/restaurant halfway down the walkway?

SJgunguy24
11-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Of course this would happen while i'm outta work. I really want to head up there and pick up a few CZ 52's and maybe a crate of Mosins if the price was right. Wonder what AK kits are going for there?

huck
11-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Of course this would happen while i'm outta work. I really want to head up there and pick up a few CZ 52's and maybe a crate of Mosins if the price was right. Wonder what AK kits are going for there?

A crate of Mosins? Really?

SJgunguy24
11-10-2009, 11:58 AM
A crate of Mosins? Really?

Yes

new cal shooter
11-10-2009, 12:25 PM
The Cow palace had all the ammo and primers you could buy on Sunday 12 noon I departed with Small pistol primers from wolf at $161 out the door price and they had pmc 9mm brass cased 1000 round for $215 plus tax, so lots of stuff on the shelf, People who "needed" to buy lots are full and so are their credit card limits :) so back to normal for the rest of us, as prices continue to fall on all ammo and loading supply stuff,

Ugly Dwarf
11-10-2009, 2:05 PM
Who knows? Spring show was crazy, but maybe the frenzy is over. Have fun.

This is what I'm hoping. I don't mind crowds, but the 'frenzy' part is annoying.

SJgunguy24
11-10-2009, 2:10 PM
This is what I'm hoping. I don't mind crowds, but the 'frenzy' part is annoying.

The frenzy part is easy, elbow pads and no shower for 2 weeks.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
11-10-2009, 5:30 PM
The wife and I are going unless it snows on us or something. Maybe I should say that I'm going, the wife will probably be at the quarter slots. :D

huck
11-12-2009, 6:19 PM
Weather looks clear. I think this is a GO!

Bigballaizm
11-12-2009, 6:34 PM
Im SO jealous... Have fun guys!

leitung
11-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Can't make it like I normally do.. gotta work..

Makes it really hard considering I just got my 03FFL

huck
11-16-2009, 9:59 AM
We had a great time at the show. That place is huge. I could have spent another day if I had the time. It was crowded (but not too crowded), and the people were courteous and polite - like all gun shows.

The most impressive thing I noticed were the OLL parts available. Stacks of lower receivers for good prices, tons of complete upper assemblies, and anything else you need. It sure looks like the shortage is over now. Ammo wasn't bad either. The prices are still high compared to 2 years ago, but at least they have it available.

JamesY
11-17-2009, 12:08 PM
What are OLL accessories?

huck
11-17-2009, 3:03 PM
What are OLL accessories?

Is this a general question or did I say something wrong?

norcal-ar
11-17-2009, 3:56 PM
scheels is a great place to go and also the nevada firearms institute has a ton of cool black rifle stuff!

Alexthewelder
11-17-2009, 4:05 PM
dangit! i couldnt think of the name! scheels! ****! i guys Ill go next time. I dont know its just my opinion but big reno show was whack in my opinion. but hey Im not a great grandfather either, sooooo in that case I would like it. I thought there was a stamp collecting convention going on. black rifle stuff was slimmmmmm. jus some along the edges, and LOTS of old collector stuff. one guy was selling 14 dollar tapco ak47 flats for 25 bucks and said that they are hard to come by and kits are non existant... geez Im glad I didnt go there not knowing anything. there were some cool deals, but I ended up with some ammo from miwall. seems to be the only good reason to go to these things for me.

Mr. Joshua
11-17-2009, 4:41 PM
scheels is a great place to go and also the nevada firearms institute has a ton of cool black rifle stuff!

Meh? Where/what is this place? I'm in Reno a lot, I've never heard of it.

Ugly Dwarf
11-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Meh? Where/what is this place? I'm in Reno a lot, I've never heard of it.

Scheels is the Disneyland of sporting goods stores... the happiest place on earth.

Imagine Cabelas, REI and Sports Authority all rolled into one shop... one BIG shop. For reference, you could probably fit 4-5 Reno (Verdi) Cabelas into the Scheels Building.

The gun shop has the most comprehensive collection of new guns I've ever seen... and all but the handguns and most expensive long guns are out on display for you to pick up and handle at your leisure. For the ones behind glass, just ask one of the half dozen sales people walking the gun store floor who are just looking to help someone.

I was impressed by the Cooper Rifle display once I realized the "one shot test targets" displayed next to each rifle (some holes a little more ragged than the others), were actually "one hole three shot test targets". They had perhaps a dozen or more Cooper Rifles for sale, in various calibers, finishes and barrel contours, priced from ~$1200 - $1600.

They also had the most comprehensive reloading shop I've seen in a brick and mortar store. Granted, they were pretty picked over this weekend, but I suspect that was related to the Gun Show going on. They stock Dillon, Hornady, RCBS, and Redding equipment, and I understand they're considering carrying Lee soon.

Beyond guns and hunting, they sell most other sporting goods categories I can think of. Paddle sports, bikes, hiking, camping, skiing, golf, etc...

Yes, as you can probably tell, I was impressed.

While bigger by far than Cabelas, I think Cabelas meets or beats them in every category Cabelas chooses to compete in (with the possible exception of new production guns). Scheels has a row with cast iron and other cooking gear... Cabelas has two or three rows of cast iron. Scheels might sell a sausage grinder or stuffer... Cabelas has a row dedicated to them.

Neither store should be missed if you're into that thing and visiting Reno.

ETA - I just noticed the bold in your quote... I too am interested in hearing more about this "Nevada Firearms Institute". Perhaps this is the same as the Sierra Firearms Academy? http://www.sierrafirearms.com/

RogueSniper
11-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I love Scheel's! I think we wandered around that store for 3 hours! When you're at Cabela's, you have to watch the live feeding at the pond. The last time I was there, little kids were watching in horror as the staff dropped live goldfish into the water and the game fish was snapping them up! I found it hiliarious! :D

Another gun shop I liked was US Firearms Academy (http://www.usfirearmsacademy.com/). The owner is a former Californian. He told me one time, "The first thing I did when I moved to Nevada was to buy myself a fully automatic rifle." :thumbsup:
http://www.usfirearmsacademy.com/

Mr. Joshua
11-18-2009, 3:51 PM
Ugly Dwarf- haha....I know all about Scheel's. I had never heard of the Nevada Firearms Institute. I don't think it's SFA. I took my NV CCW training through Sierra, great folks to learn from.

I googled Nevada Firearms Institute, everything comes back to links for Front Sight. Maybe that's their other name?

Acorn556
11-19-2009, 3:50 PM
USFA
US Firearms Academy off Moana in the shopping center full of white buildings closer to the Peppermill/Atlantis intersection. Mark is an ex Californian and a Class 3 dealer. It's awesome.