PDA

View Full Version : Grandpa wants to give me his 1960s shotgun...

LesGrossman41510
11-04-2009, 11:53 PM
So my grandpa in Syracuse NY has a 1960s JC Higgins shotgun he wants to give me. He was in the armed services as a C-130 pilot during the vietnam era, he isnt in the best of shape lately and theres rumors among the family his time is limited.:(

The only good news is that of all my cousins, he has decided to give me his shotgun.

I dont know anything about old shotguns and have never even heard of JC higgins model.

I have done out of state transfers on an AR rifle, i figure all i gotta do is have it shipped to my local FFL and do the paperwork. Is there anything else?

Thanks in advance.

norcal77
11-05-2009, 12:38 AM
Here you go..

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_age_and_value_of_a_JC_Higgins_shotgun

gdun
11-05-2009, 5:45 AM
are you planning on making a trip to see him?
especially if his time is limited

Vin496
11-05-2009, 6:09 AM
Nothing else to do. It's a simple transfer.

Now if you want to get a little somber. When he passes away you can inherit the firearm, and it can be shipped directly to you, or if you go up you can pick it up while there. There is no paperwork to fill out when you bring it back.

This is a similar thread concerning a handgun, but the same rules(except registering it) apply.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=141306

Seesm
11-05-2009, 6:39 PM
go see him and drive from NY to Cali with HIM and fly him home when your trip is done. Enjoy him while you can.

LesGrossman41510
11-05-2009, 6:54 PM
i can fly back with the shotgun? no paperwork needed except declarations at airpot? yes i want to go back, my dad went this week, but i have school so my parents wouldnt buy me a ticket.

LesGrossman41510
11-05-2009, 6:56 PM
its a model 20-12 guess they arent worth that much.

rolo
11-05-2009, 7:21 PM

IT'S YOUR GRANDPA'S SHOTGUN!!!! It's priceless.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-05-2009, 7:45 PM
i can fly back with the shotgun? no paperwork needed except declarations at airpot?.

You can only bring the shotgun back with you if your grandfather has passed away. You just need to pack it in an airline approved case and declare it at the airline counter. You could also have it shipped directly to you in California after your grandfather passes. While your grandfather is still alive the shotgun would have to be shipped to an FFL in California to be transfered to you.

Vin496
11-05-2009, 7:45 PM
i can fly back with the shotgun? no paperwork needed except declarations at airpot? yes i want to go back, my dad went this week, but i have school so my parents wouldnt buy me a ticket.

Yes you can fly back with the shotgun. No paperwork to have.

Remember you can only do this once he passes and bequest the shotgun to you, while he is alive the shotgun must go through your local FFL.

wboughton
11-05-2009, 8:00 PM
I'm sorry for your grandfather's declining health, mine is pushing 89 years old and I fear he doesn't have much longer either. I have a similar question though, he has chosen to give me his 1940's beretta pistol and revolver when he passes on. The problem is I am only 19. Is there any way I can legally transfer these or just have them grandfathered down? I know of the legal way of doing it for newly purchased firearms such as my father buying it and sending a notice to the DOJ with a check, but what about in this case?

Mssr. Eleganté
11-05-2009, 8:06 PM
I'm sorry for your grandfather's declining health, mine is pushing 89 years old and I fear he doesn't have much longer either. I have a similar question though, he has chosen to give me his 1940's beretta pistol and revolver when he passes on. The problem is I am only 19. Is there any way I can legally transfer these or just have them grandfathered down? I know of the legal way of doing it for newly purchased firearms such as my father buying it and sending a notice to the DOJ with a check, but what about in this case?

If your grandfather is also a California resident then he can give you the handguns right now and you'd just send in that same Op-Law/Intra-Family form to CalDOJ. If your grandfather is a resident of another State then there is no way for him to give you the handgun directly right now. After your grandfather passes away the handguns can be shipped to you or you can go pick them up, no matter what State your grandfather lived in. You would then need to register them by sending in the Op-Law/Intra-Family form with payment. In either case you will need to have an HSC before you can receive the handguns.

five.five-six
11-05-2009, 8:12 PM

do you want to rephrase that?

you have no idea what i would give for ANY of my GPs guns, but my POS loser uncle stole them all

wboughton
11-05-2009, 8:14 PM
Can I just go into a FFL and take the HSC without the purchase of a handgun? I thought they both went hand in hand. If that's the case, the bull im going to get for being 19 and attempting to get a handgun is just gonna be amazing. Too many places are still screaming that BB's are not legal, let alone a "minor" owning a handgun.

and yes my Grandfather is a CA resident. Been living in the same house with my Grandmother for the last 50 years hah.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Can I just go into a FFL and take the HSC without the purchase of a handgun? I thought they both went hand in hand. If that's the case, the bull im going to get for being 19 and attempting to get a handgun is just gonna be amazing.

Yes, you can take the HSC test and get an HSC without purchasing a handgun from the FFL. Many FFL's believe that you have to be at least 21 year of age to get an HSC. This is understandable, since they are forbidden from transferring handguns to people under the age of 21. If the FFL tells you that you need to be 21 years old, you can direct them to this FAQ page on CalDOJ's web site...

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscfaqs.php#a5

Are there any minimum qualifications/requirements for a person who wants to take the Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) test?

The only requirements are that the Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) applicant must be at least 18 years of age and must present clear evidence of identity and age by presenting a California Driver's License or California Department of Motor Vehicles Identification Card.

If the FFL is the college type, you can even show him the actual California Penal Code section...

12803. (a) No certified instructor may issue a handgun safety certificate to any person who has not complied with this article. Proof of compliance shall be forwarded to the department by certified instructors as frequently as the department may determine.
(b) No certified instructor may issue a handgun safety certificate to any person who is under 18 years of age.
(c) A violation of this section shall be grounds for the department to revoke the instructor's certification to issue handgun safety certificates

You might still run into an FFL who won't let you take the HSC test. If so, you can always ask here on Calguns for the closest FFL to you that will let you take the test.