PDA

View Full Version : Another death at the firing line in Burbank

Sniperman
11-05-2009, 12:09 AM
I was going to Firing Line to go shooting today. When I pulled up there were about 10 Burbank Police cars and the place was yellow taped off. I asked an Officer what happend and he said a young male shot himself/suicide. This is the 3rd suicide in 1 year there. Very Very sad :( How do people get to this point and do something so selfish. It just killed me to see the family outside crying...

RIP
:Angel_anim:

whatmeworry
11-05-2009, 12:14 AM
This is such sad news in that someone believes that this is the only solution

:(

rcantu
11-05-2009, 12:16 AM
sad to hear. a guy did that over here in oc last year. did it 2 booths over from me.

Soldier415
11-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Some may call me callous for this, but why the hell did he have to go involve someone's business and livelyhood in his mess?

Suicide is regretable, it really sucks that sometimes people get to a point in their life where they feel that a permanent solution like suicide is best for what is usually a temporary problem.

BUT STOP ****ING GOING TO A PLACE OF BUSINESS TO OFF YOURSELF!

Do it in the privacy of your own home.

Full Clip
11-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Crap, that's MY local range... :pinch:

Spiggy
11-05-2009, 12:23 AM
Some may call me callous for this, but why the hell did he have to go involve someone's business and livelyhood in his mess?

Suicide is regretable, it really sucks that sometimes people get to a point in their life where they feel that a permanent solution like suicide is best for what is usually a temporary problem.

agreed. If you're gonna commit non-ritual suicide, do it in sad quietness of your own home.

If you're gonna commit hara-kiri of seppuku, feel free to make it a spectacle. Just clean up afterwards

Cokebottle
11-05-2009, 12:23 AM
Agreed.

It's going to happen, and sadly, with the recession, we've not seen the end of it.
Four people in my industry over the last 3 years have decided that eating the barrel of a handgun was easier than facing their financial or marital problems.
The new harsher bankruptcy laws that hit at the "wrong" time didn't help.

But why do it at the range?
Perhaps they feel that's the safest place, as there's no risk of the round going through a wall and hitting their neighbor? Maybe they think at the range it will look like an accident/murder so their survivors can collect insurance?

B.D.Dubloon
11-05-2009, 12:31 AM
I agree completely. I support a person's right to commit suicide if they want to, but by the time you splatter your brains around someone else's property, that's vandalism.

m98
11-05-2009, 12:35 AM
What is it with the range suicides? What happened to the good ole' jump off the bridge thing? Atleast they can attract some media attention first before killing themselves. Sad these people had chosen this path, but atleast should have taken into respect that killing themselves at a privately owned range would just yield the owners headache and money out of their own pockets to clean up the mess.

Trojan Bayonet
11-05-2009, 1:04 AM
Suicide is a permanent solution to temporary problems. Why people decide to off themselves in the vicinity of people who aren't involved in his business, we will never know.

If someone decides that is their solution, then so be it. Others can only do so much to stop them. But why do these people involve others who have to clean up their mess and make a graphic presentation of their inability to deal with their problems?

Years ago, I'd be more than happy to collect money for these guys to make a trip over to Dr. Kevorkian's office. Too bad the guy is out of business.

stphnman20
11-05-2009, 1:07 AM
Suicide is a permanent solution to temporary problems.
Amen!!!

Ducman
11-05-2009, 1:13 AM
have an of you thought that this could have been an AD. Don't want to start anything. it's a possibility but I guess we will never know.

Richie Caketown
11-05-2009, 1:17 AM
to answer your question on range suicides it is this ...

Most people want to off themselves quickly . those who know about guns abuse them without disregard so rather then buying one they go rent one , spend about 50-60 $$ and take their way out .

Cokebottle
11-05-2009, 1:39 AM
Good point.

No background check on a rental so no way to know if the renter is 5150.

It does beat "suicide by cop" where you get an entire block shut down for hours, inconveniencing the public, plus the days of paperwork and expense from the officer involved shooting (not to mention lawsuits from the family).

audihenry
11-05-2009, 1:41 AM

Most people want to off themselves quickly . those who know about guns abuse them without disregard so rather then buying one they go rent one , spend about 50-60 $$ and take their way out .

You can't rent a gun yourself, you need one other person. I know this is true of the Firing Lane, at least.

Cokebottle
11-05-2009, 1:44 AM
You can't rent a gun yourself, you need one other person. I know this is true of the Firing Lane, at least.
I think that's just range policy.
I know at the range in Brea, member can rent alone, non-members have to have someone with them (even if they don't shoot). Seen that at a couple of ranges, but I've also seen ranges that don't require it.

I figured it was a way to get the extra shooter fee or promote membership, but you're right, it could be a safety issue.
I wonder if Riverside Magnum has this policy?

Richie Caketown
11-05-2009, 2:07 AM

the point im making is that its easier for someone to go to the range and off themselves instead of trying to legally buy a gun or find a cop for a one time use type situation

Rob454
11-05-2009, 3:45 AM
Whichever way you put it its stupid as hell. Not only offing yourself but doing it in a public place. jesus i never thought of killing myself. I dont care if Im homeless eating out of a trash can killing yourself is absolutely the stupidest thing you can do

SnWnMe
11-05-2009, 3:57 AM
The gun range should be allowed to sue the idiot's insurance or estate for clean up costs.

AD: No such thing.

M47_Dragon
11-05-2009, 5:52 AM
It does beat "suicide by cop" where you get an entire block shut down for hours, inconveniencing the public, plus the days of paperwork and expense from the officer involved shooting (not to mention lawsuits from the family).

And the potential emotional/mental effects it would have on the officer who did the shooting.

snobord99
11-05-2009, 6:02 AM

Exact reason Discount Gun Mart in SD cited for why they won't rent to someone there alone...unless they already have a gun. They don't want people renting guns just to off themselves. If you already have a gun, you probably won't rent one just to off yourself.

SuperSet
11-05-2009, 6:27 AM
My sympathies to the patrons who had to see it and staff who have to deal with it. Sucks.

Regulus
11-05-2009, 7:22 AM
I'm thinking they go to the range to do it because we have been conditioned to think that is the appropriate place to shoot a gun.

There are laws against discharging a firearm in your residence or most public places within city limits, so the range is where we are "supposed" to go.

Regardless, such things are never pleasant to see. Best wishes for all the employees and customers there at the time.

n2k
11-05-2009, 7:49 AM
I'm thinking they go to the range to do it because we have been conditioned to think that is the appropriate place to shoot a gun.

There are laws against discharging a firearm in your residence or most public places within city limits, so the range is where we are "supposed" to go.

I don't know if that kind of analysis is going on in someone’s head when they have a barrel in their mouth......are they really worrying about the laws??

Sad situation. Burbank gun establishments haven't had much luck this year with these types of actions.

I'm wondering what type of changes the firing line will make if any to decrease their liability with this?

Regulus
11-05-2009, 7:54 AM
I don't know if that kind of analysis is going on in someone’s head when they have a barrel in their mouth......are they really worrying about the laws??

That's why I said we are "conditioned" to go there.

Really, if they were mentally stable and capable of thinking logically, they would probably not be doing this in the first place.

Lyte-
11-05-2009, 8:47 AM

Regardless, such things are never pleasant to see. Best wishes for all the employees and customers there at the time.

we have laws against killing your self as well.

i doubt they considered "laws" when deciding were to kill their selves at.

HCz
11-05-2009, 9:01 AM
http://www.glendalenewspress.com/articles/2009/11/04/news/doc4af1fa74a18de831405694.txt

Police investigate possible suicide in Burbank

By Christopher Cadelago
Published: Last Updated Wednesday, November 4, 2009 5:21 PM PST
WEST BURBANK — A 21-year-old Burbank man shot and killed himself Wednesday afternoon while at the Firing-Line indoor shooting range on North Lake Street in Burbank, authorities said.

The shooting is being treated as a suicide, Burbank Police Sgt. Travis Irving said.

Officers were called to the indoor range at 1060 N. Lake St at 1:10 p.m. where they closed the site to the public for the investigation. The man, whose name is being withheld pending notification of his family, entered the range and rented a handgun. He died at the scene after a single gunshot to the head, police Sgt. Thor Merich said.

The investigation is ongoing, with an official cause of death yet to be determined by Los Angeles County coroner’s office.

Despite taking requisite safety precautions, the range has had a deadly history. In June, a 64-year-old Burbank man and regular at the range shot himself to death at the range. And last year, a 25-year-old Glendale man used a rented handgun and ended his life inside the firing range. No other people were injured in those incidents.

At least 14 people have killed themselves this year in a city that is already grappling with a number of high profile suicides. About two dozen steel-lined booths, protected on either side, stretch across the facility, customers said. While patrons are permitted to bring their own handguns, those who opt to rent a weapon must purchase ammunition from the range.

Firearms and ammunition must be either full-metal jacket or completely lead bullets. Shooters are barred from using hollow-point, steel-core and semi-jacketed bullets and cannot load weapons while standing and facing the target.

Still, local businessman Dale Richards maintained that tragedies are bound to happen wherever guns and ammunition are readily available.

“It’s not pleasant,” said Richards, a tube bender and welder who works at 918 N. Lake St. “What can you do if someone is going to kill themselves?”

Richards and workers from neighboring shops stood outside as police detectives awaited the coroner’s arrival.

“This issue here is it’s a legitimate business. They’ve done a lot to prevent things from happening,” Merich said. “Some things you’re just not going to prevent.”

My sympathy to staff and other patrons at the range.

Lumpia is sarap!®
11-05-2009, 9:11 AM
Crap, another one. It just shows that no one is innocent.

My sympathy to staff and other patrons at the range.

+1. If you guys happen to shoot there, I recommend NOT mentioning it to the staff. I bet they're affected as is. Sensitivity and discernment should be practiced with situations like these.

Purple K
11-05-2009, 9:20 AM
They're copy-catting a scene from a movie where a guy goes into a sporting good/gun store, asks to be shown a shotgun, loads it and kills himself. They don't have a gun of their own to do the deed. So sad

mgbebout
11-05-2009, 9:23 AM
Suicide, the ultimate act of selfishness. Such selfishness is the root of the problem that leads to this sad outcome. No concept of consequences for those that are left to pick up the pieces or clean up the mess. My .02

jaymz
11-05-2009, 9:44 AM
The antis must be recruiting suicide gunners - get enough to do the deed and all the ranges get shut down :eek:.

rstrohbehn
11-05-2009, 9:58 AM

+1 . People forget about the big picture sometimes. Had a guy in High school hang himself in his closet after his girlfriend dumped him. Had his whole life ahead of him :(

Regulus
11-05-2009, 10:16 AM

Which laws are those?

If those laws were broken, how would you prosecute for violating them? (this is a rhetorical question)

I think you guys are missing my point. I don't think it's about them considering or following laws, but rather the conditioning from previously following those laws that may bring some to the range to do it.

Two Shots
11-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Suicide, the ultimate act of selfishness. Such selfishness is the root of the problem that leads to this sad outcome. No concept of consequences for those that are left to pick up the pieces or clean up the mess. My .02

+1 to the above, my nephew ended his life with a bullet at home, his Mom and his mom's friend were in house. when they heard the shot they ran in and found him laying on the bed.
Over the years the family still suffers with the memories of a wasted life, with many questions of why couldn't he talk about his problems, what could have been done, why no one saw any signs etc.

One place I had worked when I was a teen had two suicides one at work in one of the stalls, the guy used a sawed off shotgun and the other guy shot hisself in his car out in the parking lot. In these two cases it was heavy drinking and wife problems that messed them up.

I can't see suicide as the only way out to solve a bad time in thier lives, but they make the decision on what they think is the best way.
Condolences to all the families that suffer a loss to suicide.

POLICESTATE
11-05-2009, 10:18 AM

On the other hand it IS a free country, so if ADULTS really want to off themselves why should we prevent it? I could see some mandatory counseling being completely reasonable but for those that really want to kill themselves we should let them. So long as it does not pose a threat to the safety of others, like jumping off bridges, shooting yourself at the local range, running out into traffic etc...

As far the selfishness aspect, eh so what?

kaosfreak
11-05-2009, 10:26 AM
as a former employee of that range, i will tell you that these circumstances are not normal or at all easy to handle. the rule of having more then yourself renting a gun is to combat these types of things. but, as you all have pointed out, it will happen anyways. i feel bad for the family of the deceased and all of the workers that were on that shift. no one should have to see/watch that. this is my local range and i go there quite often. i am thankful that i have not had to be witness to such an awful scenario.
in these stressful times, i feel for everyone who thinks that this is the only way out. i thank god that at least these people only take themselves and not their entire families.

Timberwolf
11-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Its a sign of the times, search and see how many suicides there were during the Great Depression you'll see history repeating itself.

Unfortunately in today's society of buildings with secured rooftops (to prevent jumpers) an indoor range that rents firearms is the next best thing for q quick ticket out.

Shane916
11-05-2009, 10:48 AM
From the article:

Firearms and ammunition must be either full-metal jacket or completely lead bullets. Shooters are barred from using hollow-point, steel-core and semi-jacketed bullets and cannot load weapons while standing and facing the target.

Am I reading this correctly? :confused:

ArkinDomino
11-05-2009, 11:25 AM
From the article:

The press is always full of idiots...

gabe123
11-05-2009, 11:40 AM

That's not true. They never make it to the cashier ... Maybe the range should change policy and collect money up front.

Suicide at the range is one of the reasons range won't rent you a gun if you come alone without a your own piece.

By the way, one of the good thing is that the press and anti-gun can't say that you're more likely to get killed with your own weapon ....

POLICESTATE
11-05-2009, 11:46 AM
I wonder how many people who go to gun ranges to "rent" a gun to shoot themselves with are gun owners/advocates in the first place. I bet NONE of them, otherwise they would probably have their own piece they could shoot themselves with.

a1c
11-05-2009, 11:46 AM
People who commit suicide generally suffer a form of mental imbalance or illness. You can't expect them to make a rational decision - if they could, they wouldn't kill themselves in the first place.

Yeah, not very considerate to off yourself at a place of business, but it's not like those who commit suicide are able to make sensitive decisions - they're not very functional anymore in the first place. Show a bit of compassion.

supersonic
11-05-2009, 12:05 PM
I completely understand/support a person's decision/right to snuff themselves out. However, the act should be done in private, hopefully with help on the way to clean it up (911) before family/loved ones have to see it. In public??? NO friggin' way!! Nobody has the right to make innocent bystanders see that s**t. I have always said that "if you can go a whole lifetime without witnessing death firsthand, you are VERY lucky," Having seen my share of murders/suicides/accidents, I can say that it is unnatural for a well-adjusted human being to take that in. It "stays" with you. It f**ks with you. Nowadays, whenever I come upon a fatal accident (or even a web video showing real death), I immediately choose to look elsewhere. That;s just me & my opinion, though.

POLICESTATE
11-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Yeah I'm thinking a mandatory period of counseling and then you can go to a euthanasia center kind of like the one in Soylent Green, except taking out the part where you're turned into a foodstuff resembling a large green cheez-it afterwards.

Exposed
11-05-2009, 12:11 PM
I called burbank firing line yesterday because I wanted had a question about their reloads. The guy then told me they were closed for "maintenance". I thought it sounded suspicious to close on a Wednesday afternoon for "maintenance" but didn't give it much thought. Either way, I think I'm going to stay away from indoor ranges from here on out. Its only a matter of time before someone balks at suicide and turns the gun on other shooters. I'm going to stick to private outdoor ranges from here on out.

gunsnrovers
11-05-2009, 12:13 PM
On the other hand it IS a free country, so if ADULTS really want to off themselves why should we prevent it? I could see some mandatory counseling being completely reasonable but for those that really want to kill themselves we should let them. So long as it does not pose a threat to the safety of others, like jumping off bridges, shooting yourself at the local range, running out into traffic etc...

As far the selfishness aspect, eh so what?

You don't take into account the impact on the people who find you, have to pick up your splatter off the walls, the driver of the car you step out in front of, the person who finds your body in the river. Those things do impact others. Suicide, for the most part, is an act of spite.

POLICESTATE
11-05-2009, 12:16 PM
You don't take into account the impact on the people who find you, the driver of the car you step out in front of, the person who finds your body in the river. Those things do impact others. Suicide, for the most part, is an act of spite.

Actually I do, which is why I would support the idea of a euthanasia center of some sort.

I don't think people should off themselves where ever they can, but because they cannot legally off themselves at all they don't seem to have much choice. It's similar to the whole thing with abortion when it was illegal and you had all that back alley abortion mess.

Also just to throw it in here, think about the loss of revenue and other damages that gun ranges, and other suicide venues suffer. I think those damages/costs need to be paid out of the deceased's estate, whatever might be left of it.

Japan was having lots of problems with people jumping in front of trains until they put out the word that if you did that, your family would be paying for the damages.

Furthermore, I myself don't believe in suicide, but I don't believe in projecting that onto everyone else.

mblat
11-05-2009, 12:23 PM
I agree completely. I support a person's right to commit suicide if they want to, but by the time you splatter your brains around someone else's property, that's vandalism.

And he definitely should be charged with it.

But really.... 21 years old? What kind of trouble 21 years old can possibly be to justify killing himself. I understand people with terminal illness and such..... but at 21 it seems unlikely.

locosway
11-05-2009, 12:27 PM
They should setup suicide booths. Walk in, gun is chained so you can only point it at yourself, only one bullet... This way, it doesn't affect the business, and it doesn't affect gun laws.

The idea that we know what's best for everyone is absurd. If someone wants to do something that doesn't affect me, let them do it.

Midian
11-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Maybe he ran out of Hope N Change

Walker
11-05-2009, 12:32 PM
While there should be a legal way for people to end it, I would hope there would be a better way then a booth with a gun it in. There are cleaner ways to go and guns are already thought of as being evil.

Steyrlp10
11-05-2009, 12:37 PM

Ditto that. I speak from experience when I say it's the coward's way out, leaving the family to clean up the irresponsible mess.

Time to grow a spine.

Cokebottle
11-05-2009, 12:38 PM
And the potential emotional/mental effects it would have on the officer who did the shooting.
I'm wondering how this might be changing over time as society degrades?

Buddy of mine used to work Anaheim, and he told me stories about his visits to schools.
30 years ago, the kids were all fascinated with the hardware. They'd scour the car, check out the weapons, etc....
Every now and then, a kid would ask, with big eyes, "Have you ever had to shoot someone?"

When he retired about 5 years ago, the question had become "How many people have you shot/killed?"

SPUTTER
11-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Damn, he was only 21? Poor guy. My guess is he did it over a woman.

RIP

Regulus
11-05-2009, 12:49 PM
While there should be a legal way for people to end it, I would hope there would be a better way then a booth with a gun it in. There are cleaner ways to go and guns are already thought of as being evil.

The State of California has tried (unsuccessfully) several times to enact laws similar to Oregon's Euthanasia laws. Such a law would likely require a good reason to end your life (terminal illness/death with dignity) but unfortunately, most of the suicides do not fall in this category. From what I've seen, it's more for financial reasons, inability to deal with personal crisis, or because your girlfriend/boyfriend just broke up with you.

mmartin
11-05-2009, 12:51 PM
But really.... 21 years old? What kind of trouble 21 years old can possibly be to justify killing himself. I understand people with terminal illness and such..... but at 21 it seems unlikely.

terminal illness, which is possible but I agree not likely, usually drives people to suicide not because they're going to die anyway, but because of pain. at 21, you can be in all kinds of pain, physical or otherwise. people shoot themselves to make the pain stop.

been there, nearly did that.

when you're in that much pain, regardless of the source, you aren't really able to focus on the pain and inconvenience you're about to cause others. same reason some people go postal, because something just needs to make the pain stop, either by offing yourself, or offing those causing it.

took me an enourmous amount of effort to learn the skills needed to manage the pain I was in. sometimes 21 doesn't have the skill to change it or life experience to know it can be changed. leads some folks to just make it stop in a way they are sure will work.

tragic.

megan

hoozaru
11-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Damn, he was only 21? Poor guy. My guess is he did it over a woman.

RIP

if that is a good reason to die for, I should have killed myself several times already :o

Walker
11-05-2009, 12:59 PM
The State of California has tried (unsuccessfully) several times to enact laws similar to Oregon's Euthanasia laws. Such a law would likely require a good reason to end your life (terminal illness/death with dignity) but unfortunately, most of the suicides do not fall in this category. From what I've seen, it's more for financial reasons, inability to deal with personal crisis, or because your girlfriend/boyfriend just broke up with you.

Yeah I remember reading about one of the tries. I am all for it in the case of terminal illness. I had to watch my Grandpa slowly and painfully die from cancer. That opened my eyes to the subject. At the same time it made me seem more then a bit crazy to friends and others.

Aldemar
11-05-2009, 1:09 PM

True, but it is possible that he became a member and had his own weapon. That's what happened with the last one at their Northridge location. I believe the guy was only a member for less than 1 month.

SPUTTER
11-05-2009, 1:11 PM
if that is a good reason to die for, I should have killed myself several times already :o

A woman is not a good reason to end it, but many of men are 6 ft under because of it.

tacticalcity
11-05-2009, 1:12 PM
Horrible...messed up on every possible level.

Joking about this does not help our cause. It's really not funny. Not only has some poor punk made a really stupid permanent mistake, but he put the lives, livelihood, and freedoms of others at risk.

Everyone in this person’s life failed them. This person failed everyone is his life, and many more people he never knew. Nobody noticed or realized they needed to take action to get him help. Just horrible.

Knee jerk reactionaries will turn to the anti-gun movement and use this as a reason why guns should be illegal. Truth is if there were no access to guns he simply would have found another way. There are thousands of ways to end one’s life. As horrible as this is in every possible way, it doesn't change the fact that the good that comes from our Second Amendment right to bear arms far outweighs tragedies like this one. Freedom comes at a price. Sometimes that price is very, very high and makes little to no sense at all. That's not gonna make the family members feel any better...but nothing could, no matter how true it is.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, and destroys everyone you leave behind (especially those who do not deserve it). Again...just horrible.

Aldemar
11-05-2009, 1:12 PM
From the article:

Yes, but it's just the opposite, and there are 13 total lanes, not 2 dozen.

Never Convicted
11-05-2009, 1:23 PM
Very sad situation. For all involved. Terrible that the poor soul came to the conclusion that it was ok to do this an it was his way out. To bad it had to happen, and even worse for all witnessing the incident as well as the effects it has on the establishment and the industry.

jaymz
11-05-2009, 1:53 PM

If I remember correctly, suicide is not illegal, yet attempted suicide is. Go figure.

dirtnap
11-05-2009, 2:21 PM
What bugs me the most is the guy was 21, there was still so much time to get over whatever it was that caused this.

ScorpioVI
11-05-2009, 3:49 PM
They're copy-catting a scene from a movie where a guy goes into a sporting good/gun store, asks to be shown a shotgun, loads it and kills himself. They don't have a gun of their own to do the deed. So sad

What movie is this?

As far as I know, this event happened at the Gun Exchange in San Jose. Dude walked into the store, went to the used gun rack, picked up a 12g, loaded, fired. I'm thinking 3-4 years ago.

POLICESTATE
11-05-2009, 3:52 PM
If I remember correctly, suicide is not illegal, yet attempted suicide is. Go figure.

Can't prosecute the dead. But yeah it doesn't make sense to me to prosecute an attempted suicide, it's like "hey you're down, let's kick you in the ribs!"

Not good.

Darklyte27
11-05-2009, 4:17 PM
geez! id hate to goto that place, you would think so many offing themselves that the place would be haunted or something..

Dekker
11-05-2009, 4:21 PM
They are dropping like flies over there, wonder what it is about that place that just seems to attract the off-ers.

rstrohbehn
11-05-2009, 4:23 PM
What movie is this?

"Sunshine Cleaning". He did bring his own shells though.

audihenry
11-05-2009, 5:55 PM
Maybe he ran out of Hope N Change

This really isn't appropriate.

locosway
11-05-2009, 6:10 PM
This really isn't appropriate.

Everyone else can make wise cracks, but if it's something against the current administration it's wrong? Have you noticed the latests polls lately?

audihenry
11-05-2009, 6:23 PM
Everyone else can make wise cracks, but if it's something against the current administration it's wrong? Have you noticed the latests polls lately?

This isn't a political thread and has nothing to do with Obama. There's a time and place for everything.

joepamjohn
11-05-2009, 6:34 PM
The guy could have saved $8.00 on range fees if he did it at home too.

locosway
11-05-2009, 6:38 PM
This isn't a political thread and has nothing to do with Obama. There's a time and place for everything.

Grow up, it's an internet forum, not a formal court hearing.

joepamjohn
11-05-2009, 6:41 PM
Horrible...messed up on every possible level.

Joking about this does not help our cause. It's really not funny. Not only has some poor punk made a really stupid permanent mistake, but he put the lives, livelihood, and freedoms of others at risk.

Everyone in this person’s life failed them. This person failed everyone is his life, and many more people he never knew. Nobody noticed or realized they needed to take action to get him help. Just horrible.

Knee jerk reactionaries will turn to the anti-gun movement and use this as a reason why guns should be illegal. Truth is if there were no access to guns he simply would have found another way. There are thousands of ways to end one’s life. As horrible as this is in every possible way, it doesn't change the fact that the good that comes from our Second Amendment right to bear arms far outweighs tragedies like this one. Freedom comes at a price. Sometimes that price is very, very high and makes little to no sense at all. That's not gonna make the family members feel any better...but nothing could, no matter how true it is.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, and destroys everyone you leave behind (especially those who do not deserve it). Again...just horrible.

You are right... we shouldn't joke...We should be mad that this guy was so selfish that he not only ruined his life, but he also ruined the lives of others who got to see the aftermath of his actions. Yes,the anti's will run with this, and yes the range owner will probably be sued or put out of business unless he had enough insurance, that will sky rocket because of this.

It is sad...sad that his last act in life was an act of selfishness! :mad:

Shotgun Man
11-05-2009, 7:11 PM
I would not kill myself even if I knew I was turning zombie. I would still cling to life. A zombie life is better than no life.

cal_gunner
11-05-2009, 7:22 PM
suicide is a selfish act and they do not care about doing it in a place of business. i am just thankful that he did not decide to take anyone else with him..

Seesm
11-05-2009, 7:24 PM

YOu Callous pr*ck... tehe I have to agree with my favorite soldier!!

AirborneStranger
11-05-2009, 7:25 PM
there are plenty of ways to kill yourself without being an ******* about it

bomb_on_bus
11-05-2009, 8:09 PM

Just wait until you have the chance to talk to a locomotive engineer for the UP, BNSF, Caltrains, AMTRAK, etc. They will all tell you they have seen a suicide by train first hand or know someone who has. I was called to 2 separtae instances both down in the Corona/Riverside area of LA. I got to help locate and flag body parts at 1AM. Needless to say its a messy way to go and it effects hundreds.

I am 100% with ya on the hopes that they can find a way to do it without involving the public, but in this day and age its almost impossible to do that.

Last month alone we had almost a dozen suicide attempts hauled in from the desert.

Lyte-
11-05-2009, 8:14 PM
there was another sucide today

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/irvine-police-started-2638943

five.five-six
11-05-2009, 8:22 PM
see, this is EXACTLY why we need to ban shooting ranges, so society can be safe from suicide

GammaRei
11-05-2009, 8:38 PM

+ 1

- G

Screehopper
11-05-2009, 10:11 PM
From the article:

I was wondering about the same thing.

beemaze
11-06-2009, 8:03 AM
They are dropping like flies over there, wonder what it is about that place that just seems to attract the off-ers.

I'm a member at this range. Nothing wrong with the place. I'll admit, I'm a bit wary about going indoor shooting period. Calguns member AudiA witnessed a similar incident at Firing Line in Northridge, and just from talking with him, I know he's still a bit affected by it. This incident however, it's just a sign of the times.

For some, it's probably the easiest way to commit suicide. There are only a handful of indoor ranges where you can rent a gun in the L.A. area - two of them owned by Firing Line - Northridge and Burbank. Rent a gun and off yourself. Unfortunately, it's not the 1st time it's happened at a rental range and not the last. Remember Beverly Hills Gun Club? They had similar incidents happen over 10 years ago when I used to go there.

In the field I work in, I've seen quite a few unsuccessful suicide attempts - usually by pill overdose of Tylenol or sleeping pills/sedatives.
The way I look at is if someone is going to commit suicide they should do it the easiest and quickest way possible. I'm not condoning this person's behavior or even trying to explain it. But maybe just give some insight into it. In the end, fortunately nobody else was harmed physically.

Look at the Dr./Major in Fort Hood who took 13 people out and didn't even finish himself off properly. Now that's a terrible tragedy...

Lyte-
11-06-2009, 8:08 AM
firingline also owns a range in Huntington beach.

beemaze
11-06-2009, 8:13 AM
firingline also owns a range in Huntington beach.

That is correct. I was referring to the local L.A. area. I'm thinking of other indoor rental ranges near L.A. There is one in downtown - went there a couple of times - hated it. And the LAX range in Inglewood - OK place too! But the staff at Firing Line in Burbank are top notch - best indoor range in the immediate L.A. area!

nick007g
11-06-2009, 11:40 AM
They probably would do it at their home if the constitution wasn't being trampled on and you could just go get a gun from the store and handle your business. I think the range offers a quick and relatively cheap way out for distraught people...Hell why buy a gun for 1 shot?

This is just more ammo for the gun-haters out there, soon enough you won't be able to rent guns at the range.

audihenry
11-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Rent a gun and off yourself.

Again, you can't rent a gun by yourself. If you bring some poor soul with you, then you're just too motivated.

retired
11-06-2009, 2:09 PM
Again, you can't rent a gun by yourself. If you bring some poor soul with you, then you're just too motivated.

That isn't completely correct. Some ranges (Iron Sights for one) will allow you to rent a gun if by yourself as long as you bring your own gun with you. I don't know how that will prevent someone from killing him/herself, but that is what I was just told a minute ago by one of their employees.

I'm sure you are correct tho in that some ranges won't rent if by yourself; Iron Sights is just one that will under certain circumstances.

Nachoman
11-06-2009, 2:41 PM
That isn't completely correct. Some ranges (Iron Sights for one) will allow you to rent a gun if by yourself as long as you bring your own gun with you. I don't know how that will prevent someone from killing him/herself, but that is what I was just told a minute ago by one of their employees.

It prevents the person from killing themselves at their range. The theory is if you have your own gun, and wanted to kill yourself, you'd have done it already on your couch instead of heading to a range to rent a gun.

WeekendWarrior
11-06-2009, 2:48 PM
WWRTW

Icypu
11-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Its very tragic, I go to that Burbank location once a week. In fact I was going to take my nephew on Thursday night. My friends and I have so much fun there, its so terrible to hear news that something that awful can happen where I have just good memories with friends.

They do let you rent alone if you are a member (after you have the membership card), but I consider this an asset since firing all their models helped me choose my first gun.

beemaze
11-08-2009, 8:26 PM

According to the article, he rented the gun and shot himself so it's a moot point

locosway
11-08-2009, 8:31 PM
If you're a member you can rent guns alone. I guess if someone is going to kill themselves, it's better to have a deposit for the downtime that day.

devildog999
11-08-2009, 8:39 PM
That's horrible

Pvt. Cowboy
11-08-2009, 8:53 PM
the point im making is that its easier for someone to go to the range and off themselves instead of trying to legally buy a gun or find a cop for a one time use type situation

It's even easier to go to Kragen Auto and buy a gallon jug of Prestone® and drink it until you fall asleep forever.

There's lots surer ways to kill yourself cheaply and tranquilly without unduly drawing anti-gunner hostility to the RKBA movement. We should think about handing out flyers explaining how to blow out a pilot light on a gas oven or drink antifreeze.

On the other hand, the 'Right To Die' movement is really a perversion installed within the political left's mindset, so therefore blaming gun ranges for renting guns to the suicidal is really hypocritical of those who support medically-assisted suicide. After all, aren't gun ranges just giving those people what they want? They're providing a valuable community service without unnecessarily burdening our overtaxed medical system, right?

(Gosh, my outlook on life is so much simpler now that I've completely abandoned any sense of traditional moral compass and embraced a moral relativist/secular humanist dogma. I mean, what I wrote above is how liberals think, isn't it?)

beemaze
11-08-2009, 9:04 PM
I've dealt with Antifreeze attempts and it's just not that simple. It takes a while to kill even after drinking a bottle. Usually the "victim" ends up in ER after being found half conscious or drunk appearing, and has to be hemodialyzed in the middle of the night.

The way I look at is if someone wants to commit suicide, they should do it the easiest and fastest way possible without harming others physically and costing large amounts of $$ to clean up the mess.

Cyanide in its compound form is pretty much so banned except for use by pharmaceutical, industrial companies etc. Now that's a quick and easy one to do yourself in with... Worked for the Nazis....

BTW, I'm a Libertarian at heart.

Pvt. Cowboy
11-08-2009, 9:11 PM
I've dealt with Antifreeze attempts and it's just not that simple. It takes a while to kill even after drinking a bottle. Usually the "victim" ends up in ER after being found half conscious or drunk appearing, and has to be hemodialyzed in the middle of the night.

I forgot to mention that the subject needs to walk out into the forest or some other remote place to drink the antifreeze.

If they're worried about their remains never being located, rest assured that someone (a hiker or a forest ranger) will eventually report a sighting of a coyote running off with a human-sized femur in it's maw.

audihenry
11-08-2009, 9:25 PM
If you're a member you can rent guns alone. I guess if someone is going to kill themselves, it's better to have a deposit for the downtime that day.

I didn't realize there was membership at that range.

Perhaps the solution is the same as in Futurama. :rolleyes:

locosway
11-08-2009, 9:31 PM
I didn't realize there was membership at that range.

Perhaps the solution is the same as in Futurama. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure about that range, but in general if you're a member you can rent guns when alone. Perks of giving them money.

luckystrike
11-09-2009, 2:05 AM
cause they dont want to buy a gun, less hastle if they go to a range AKA rent a gun?

doodoostain
11-09-2009, 12:48 PM
wow. i went in that night at around 8 and had no idea. it was crowded there too. they must have cleaned the place up fast.

Mickey D
11-09-2009, 8:13 PM
Many ranges that rent guns won't rent to a solo shooter. Must be with someone. Sad that it has come to this.

beemaze
11-09-2009, 8:15 PM
I have some inside info on the shooter (from a friend that actually attended the funeral). Apparently he had some mental problems for the past year - sounded to me like schizophrenia. Although we may have bad things to say about the individual and make fun of those who do themselves in, we should also have some compassion.

Cokebottle
11-09-2009, 8:20 PM
we should also have some compassion.
For the true victims (friends, family, witnesses)?
Yes.

However, one also has to wonder how the friends and family did not see it coming?

ArkinDomino
11-09-2009, 8:35 PM
....Even if you see it coming its hard to prevent somebody from offing themselves.

jamesob
11-09-2009, 9:14 PM

firing a weapon in city limits is a crime so how is one supposed to blow his brains out if not at a range?

mossberg590
02-14-2010, 11:29 AM
did he off himself with their gun? maybe he don't got a gun and had to go down there to use one of theirs?

OneApart
02-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Suicide, by it's very nature is a selfish act....

My friend, Ryan Wirth R.I.P. 10/2001 took his own life in his mother's home with his rifle.

He left a mother, two younger brothers, and alot of friends behind.

At the funeral, she came up to the group of us and asked us if we knew what it was like coming home and having to clean up after something like that.... (that statement still haunts me to this day)

Nobody knew what to say. His passing tore his family, and our group of friends apart....

I miss you dearly my friend......

J-cat
02-14-2010, 12:02 PM
firing a weapon in city limits is a crime so how is one supposed to blow his brains out if not at a range?

Drive to the forest?

J-cat
02-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Also, mistake of fact is a defense to homicide. Arguably, a victim of suicide was mistaken about his future prospects.

J-cat
02-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Discharging a firearm within city limits is legal if done in self defense. Perhaps he was defending himself from himself?

Cokebottle
02-14-2010, 1:13 PM
did he off himself with their gun? maybe he don't got a gun and had to go down there to use one of theirs?
Please re-read the thread. This is discussed already.

Most ranges have a policy that they will not rent a gun to someone who doesn't already have one with them.
This is to prevent this from happening.

xbimmers
02-14-2010, 1:22 PM
This is the first time of I have heard of this policy....but it is a good one!

Please re-read the thread. This is discussed already.

Most ranges have a policy that they will not rent a gun to someone who doesn't already have one with them.
This is to prevent this from happening.

Cokebottle
02-14-2010, 1:38 PM
This is the first time of I have heard of this policy....but it is a good one!
Should have clarified....

They will not rent a gun to someone who doesn't have one who is not checking in with a 2nd person.

I was distracted when I typed that, came back and hit "send" without finishing the thought.

Typically, you and a buddy can go in and rent a gun or two just walking in off the street empty handed.
If you walk in by yourself, you can generally only rent one if you also bring your own, or are a member of the range (or are well known to the manager and he knows you own guns).

MT1
02-14-2010, 2:04 PM
I wonder if it's the same gun :rolleyes:

Like the Christine of the gun world...

But seriously, these people are sick yes and it's the last thing on their mind, but we can still voice our disgust over going into a place of business like this to off yourself. Maybe every home should be built with an exposed beam in the ceiling, I hear hangings are easy to clean up after...

GotMojo
02-14-2010, 6:46 PM
However, one also has to wonder how the friends and family did not see it coming?

It's usually not hard to see it coming. It's nearly impossible to stop. Someone who is determined will find a way.

I've learned to not try and understand the why. You just have to accept it and move on. They made a choice. Whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant. It wasn't yours to make in the first place.

People go out in spectacular style sometimes because either they want to spectacle or (more likely IMO) they just don't know how else to get the job done. We live in a society that is rabidly anti suicide and the options are kind of limited.

roadwarrior1971
02-14-2010, 8:15 PM
I was going to Firing Line to go shooting today. When I pulled up there were about 10 Burbank Police cars and the place was yellow taped off. I asked an Officer what happend and he said a young male shot himself/suicide. This is the 3rd suicide in 1 year there. Very Very sad :( How do people get to this point and do something so selfish. It just killed me to see the family outside crying...

RIP
:Angel_anim:

How do people get this way??? If I told you the full truth you probably wouldn't listen. The American Dream is a self-destructive tailspin with all he debt, vanity, and bottom of the barrel scum-ridden Public Life/politics-but don't worry, this is happening to all he countries except the USA is supposed to be the "city on the hill." But suffice to say that we (by voting/inaction) empower the tyrants that oppress us and make our lives miserable whether it is physical, mental, economic. This so-called "downturn", people are getting wiped out financially. It's all a SCAM. Just put your thinking cap on: you put your money in the bank, and if it fails, you gotta wait up to NINETY days to get it back??? And then only $100,000 is
"insured" by a PRIVATE CORPORATION that is NOT backed by the US Govt since the Federal Reserve/FederalDepositorsInsuranceCorporation is NOT US Govt. The FDIC is now up to $250k. Now when banks fails and when stocks fall: WHAT HAPPENED TO ***YOUR*** MONEY???? Do the 1's and 0's self-implode into a black hole on the bank's hard-drive??? NO!!! THEY STOLE YOUR MONEY!!! So how smart are you NOT to know this??? The banks ARE the bank-robbery or shall we say, the banks are FLEECING the sheeple!! This is WHY people commit suicide! They're getting SCREWED and fellow Americans HAVE NOT A CLUE what's going on!!

This is ridiculous, this should be a BLARING red-alert, don't trust banks warning. But no, gotta trust them instead. Gotta get that mortgage so I can lose my house and be homeless. Gotta work for that illegal, only worth 5% of what it should be FED RES NOTES. Gotta chase that illusionary American Dream. The deaths, suicides, etc will continue because America is a nation of ostriches with their heads in the ground or up their rear end. Now I am not specifically speaking of the persons that committed suicide but am speaking of the idiots STUCK in this psychotic bipolar disorder, murderous political system where democrats are as corrupt, lying, backstabbing, evil, warmonger as republicans. All the while they smile and kiss your babies if you are STUPID enough to let such filth touch your children. The US healthcare system has KILLED more people than ALL American dead in wars!!!! Wake the F up sheeple!!! Wipe that idiotic Democratic and Republican cheerleader grin off your faces and throw all these Un-American, trash traitor criminals into the Pacific and Atlantic oceans with nothing their underwear on!!!

migz
02-14-2010, 8:23 PM
How do people get this way??? If I told you the full truth you probably wouldn't listen. The American Dream is a self-destructive tailspin with all he debt, vanity, and bottom of the barrel scum-ridden Public Life/politics-but don't worry, this is happening to all he countries except the USA is supposed to be the "city on the hill." But suffice to say that we (by voting/inaction) empower the tyrants that oppress us and make our lives miserable whether it is physical, mental, economic. This so-called "downturn", people are getting wiped out financially. It's all a SCAM. Just put your thinking cap on: you put your money in the bank, and if it fails, you gotta wait up to NINETY days to get it back??? And then only $100,000 is
"insured" by a PRIVATE CORPORATION that is NOT backed by the US Govt since the Federal Reserve/FederalDepositorsInsuranceCorporation is NOT US Govt. The FDIC is now up to $250k. Now when banks fails and when stocks fall: WHAT HAPPENED TO ***YOUR*** MONEY???? Do the 1's and 0's self-implode into a black hole on the bank's hard-drive??? NO!!! THEY STOLE YOUR MONEY!!! So how smart are you NOT to know this??? The banks ARE the bank-robbery or shall we say, the banks are FLEECING the sheeple!! This is WHY people commit suicide! They're getting SCREWED and fellow Americans HAVE NOT A CLUE what's going on!!

This is ridiculous, this should be a BLARING red-alert, don't trust banks warning. But no, gotta trust them instead. Gotta get that mortgage so I can lose my house and be homeless. Gotta work for that illegal, only worth 5% of what it should be FED RES NOTES. Gotta chase that illusionary American Dream. The deaths, suicides, etc will continue because America is a nation of ostriches with their heads in the ground or up their rear end. Now I am not specifically speaking of the persons that committed suicide but am speaking of the idiots STUCK in this psychotic bipolar disorder, murderous political system where democrats are as corrupt, lying, backstabbing, evil, warmonger as republicans. All the while they smile and kiss your babies if you are STUPID enough to let such filth touch your children. The US healthcare system has KILLED more people than ALL American dead in wars!!!! Wake the F up sheeple!!! Wipe that idiotic Democratic and Republican cheerleader grin off your faces and throw all these Un-American, trash traitor criminals into the Pacific and Atlantic oceans with nothing their underwear on!!!

wow. I really appreciate a good rant.

roadwarrior1971
02-14-2010, 10:46 PM
If everyone ranted, maybe congress would pay attention. Instead, the masses are like buffalo being herded over a cliff

imtheomegaman
02-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Ever read "Moby Dick"? Sometimes we get fixated on something, to the exclusion of all else. RW, while there is some truth in what you say, don't be consumed by it. There is plenty good about our economy and govt. Step back a bit brother.

johnthomas
02-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Suicide at a range that rents guns is as easy as it gets. No long term investments or background checks to mess with. Suicide is a selfish act. The victim, if you call them that, is not worried about anything or anyone around them.
Many do it for spite or hopelessness. The real victims of suicide are family, place of the suicide and bystanders.

Echidin
02-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Its too bad it had to come to that.

Won't most ranges not allow you to rent a gun if you come in by yourself? I know the one I frequent won't rent anything to you unless you come in with another person. Or did he own the gun he shot himself with?

Ishoot
02-14-2010, 11:33 PM

Nice to know that I'm not the only one pissed. :rant:

Dubels
02-15-2010, 2:19 PM
I am really getting scared of going to indoor ranges. All these "accidents" and crap I see makes me wish I had an alternative. I get so mad when I turn around from my stall and see a muzzle pointed in my direction and the only response from the person is "o sorry."

J-cat
02-15-2010, 2:28 PM
http://www.anti-ballistic.com/shop/images/BA7911/BA7911.jpg

http://west.loadup.com/images/large/13279.jpg

Doheny
02-15-2010, 2:44 PM

Dude, you just opened up a three month old thread with your first post.

ocspeedracer
02-15-2010, 2:55 PM
What a shame.
And if you're going to do it take a toaster to your bath or walk in front of a bus if you've got no gun, don't involve other innocent people.

MAC USMC
02-16-2010, 1:23 PM
Suicide is an act against God as well as against relatives who must reconcile WHY? for the rest of their lives? Unfortunately, it is common for children of the deceased to perform the same act later on.

In some cases a suicide is a "punishing" act against those who somehow urt or let the decedent down. That really fixes them doesn't it? I have investigated cases where I could understand the act of suicide, such as to end extemely painful stomach cancer, the expensive treatments and drawn out dying in pain.

Why suicide is carried out in a public place to horrify everyone is beyond my comprehension. I find this reprehensible and thoughtless regardless of the reason.

doubledgarage
12-19-2010, 9:34 PM
Sorry for necro-bumping this thread but I figured this would contribute to this discussion. I'm pretty sure the victim was my boss's ex-fiance's younger brother (based on location, age, time frame, etc... I didn't ask too many questions). Anyways, how I understood it, the victim was at range with a cousin (or maybe it was a friend). Right before he committed suicide, he waved off his buddy to create distance, put the gun to his head, and committed suicide.

It was pretty unexpected. If I recalled correctly, the brother was "depressed", not sure over what. I didn't ask too many questions out of respect to my boss. I just know about this because he was asking me what would cause someone to commit suicide, especially in front of a cousin/friend, and cause indefinite grieving within the family.

Anyways, not sure how effective the "two person" rule for renting a gun at the range as shown in this example.

TurboChrisB
12-19-2010, 10:02 PM
I would suggest it's pretty effective...as most people who off themselves don't do it in front of loved ones. I'd bet it stops 99% of people who would do it at a range if they didn't have this policy.

Nachoman
12-19-2010, 10:16 PM
And honestly, there are so many ways to kill yourself, it's really a matter of how public of a spectacle they want to make it. It's not like they are going to say "well, since I can't rent a gun and kill myself, I guess I won't go through with it." It's more about pushing the suicide to another venue where it won't screw up the gun range's business (which is understandable imo).

Mastermason11
12-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Here at my local range, there had been 2 or 3 occurrances of suicide.. So their new policy is that, when you are renting a gun, you cannot go solo, you need to bring a buddy. If you are using your own gun, then you can go solo.

jmzhwells
12-19-2010, 10:45 PM
I remember when I was working in the bay area, there was a guy who went into a gun shop and asked to look at a gun, then ran out, loaded the gun and shot himself.

rockman
12-20-2010, 6:41 AM
:iagree::iagree:Some may call me callous for this, but why the hell did he have to go involve someone's business and livelyhood in his mess?

I agree

trashman
12-20-2010, 7:19 AM
I remember when I was working in the bay area, there was a guy who went into a gun shop and asked to look at a gun, then ran out, loaded the gun and shot himself.

That was at Imbert & Smithers in San Carlos. I think the guy shot himself inside the store, but staggered out onto the street and took a few steps before collapsing.

--Neill

OC-Indian
12-20-2010, 7:42 AM
99.9% of the time suicide is for cowards. Had a friend decide to end things that way after the battles with cancer got to much to bear. But he did it discreetly in his garage while "cleaning" his sidearm. Staged it like an AD so his wife would collect on his insurance and pensions. Swore myself and another friend who "discovered" him to secrecy.
Toughest SOB I ever had the pleasure of knowing.
If someone has to shoot themselves at least go on the pedophile list and take a few with you

Craigwood
12-20-2010, 8:44 AM
Agreed.

But why do it at the range?
Perhaps they feel that's the safest place, as there's no risk of the round going through a wall and hitting their neighbor?

Oh!! So hit an inocent shooter bystander instead by going thru the partition of another. Thats real safe. Sorry Cokebotlle, but I disagree.
Call me selfish. but to bring a business down because of someones elses problems. Do it in your own home. What was the point of doing it at a gun range. The few places of bastion of where we go and have fun. And threat of shutting it down. Yea! I'm selfish.

Cbr1000Rider
12-20-2010, 9:34 AM
And he definitely should be charged with it.

Everything is relative my friend. A 21 yr olds problems are just as emotional to someone say.. 30 or 40.

My question is, if these ranges do have these policies where they only rent to people who are accompanied, how was this persons friend who went to the range with him not clued in that he was depressed..etc?

xrMike
12-20-2010, 12:59 PM
I agree completely. I support a person's right to commit suicide if they want to, but by the time you splatter your brains around someone else's property, that's vandalism.Yeah, it's like saying: "Hmmmmm, I don't want to get my own house dirty; or have my own wife/kids see my splattered head; but I have no problem messing up somebody else's house or traumatizing strangers..."

It's kind of like taking the *****'s way out of being a *****.