PDA

View Full Version : Does a Barrel clamp on Bipod affect accuracy?

supermario
11-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Hey guys, I dont want a bipod attached to my rifle but i usually take this simple cheap plastic bipod with me during hunting season and i never gave it a second thought as to if it would affect accuracy. Here is a link to what i have. I just have the bipod attached to my pack, just in case i want to use it?

http://www.milsurpstuff.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TLBP70&cat=14

technique
11-04-2009, 10:34 PM
yes...barrel harmonics.
In addition applying weight or pressure on it could very well cause a shift in POA-POI.

freonr22
11-04-2009, 10:54 PM
couldnt you free float it on the barrel? like a sky hook?

no im playin. What would be the best way to affix a bipod?

Kinda neat read on Barrel Harmonics

http://www.rifle-accuracy.com/harmonics.htm

http://www.rifle-accuracy.com/smartstock.htm

Josh3239
11-04-2009, 11:07 PM
The right way to do it would be to just attach a bipod to a free float handguard.

slick_711
11-04-2009, 11:46 PM
If you're using an AR and really need the bipod and inexpensively, the one you posted would probably work out ok. It will certainly have an affect on accuracy and consistency of your groups; but how much of an affect is hard to say, it could be negligible, especially if you're using a shorter and/or thicker contour barrel.

Same goes for a bolt rifle (or whatever else you may be hunting with), placing it on the barrel will have an affect. Again, how much of an affect is hard to say, but typical hunting rifles are a slimmer profile barrel, that would begin to be more of an issue.

If you wanted to do it "right" with an AR you'd have to spend some bucks. Since you specified wanting to take it off and keep it in your pack, I'd suggest a harris bipod on a quick detach mount. An A.R.M.S. #32 or American Defense AD-BP mount would be real slick. For a hunting rifle you're a bit more limited in QD bipods, I guess you could always do the same as the AR and just have a 2" segment of rail on your stock.

I've only done a bit of hunting, but never encountered a situation where I'd have time/need to use a bipod. Perhaps a pair of safari sticks or a good sling is in order?

supermario
11-05-2009, 8:56 AM
Yeah, maybe a nice pair of sticks would be good. I just wanted to have something stable. I have even used my pack as a rest! ok thanx!

ChrisO
11-05-2009, 9:01 AM
Couple weeks ago I was watching a group of deer at about 400 yards I had enough time to get situated but I did not need sticks or a Bipod I simply found a nice stick with a fork, Worked wonders and I was in a good comfortable supported shooting position...

SJgunguy24
11-05-2009, 9:12 AM
Yeah, maybe a nice pair of sticks would be good. I just wanted to have something stable. I have even used my pack as a rest! ok thanx!

This ^^^
If your prone the pack wil give you a bit of cover also.

MasterYong
11-05-2009, 9:39 AM
This ^^^
If your prone the pack wil give you a bit of cover also.

Concealment.

To be cover there'd have to be some serious goods in that pack... ballistic plates maybe?

SJgunguy24
11-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Concealment.

To be cover there'd have to be some serious goods in that pack... ballistic plates maybe?

Check......oh I thought everybody has plates in their pack:o

Bug Splat
11-05-2009, 11:17 AM
AGHHHHHH MY EYES!!! :willy_nilly:

Barrel mounted bi-pods are like nails on a chalk board to me. Barrel harmonics play a big roll but even more damaging to accuracy is just the weight pressure on the barrel. It will change you POI for sure. One should never put stress on where the barrel and the action meet.

supermario
11-05-2009, 12:41 PM
To be honest, the clamp on bipod i have is soo cheap it realy doesnt put any pressure on the barrel. its more like the barrel sit in the plastic cavity and thats y i bot it. if u ever held one u will see what i mean, its not like the ones on an sks. its just a cheap little spring that keeps the bipod legs closed so it wont fall off. Does that make any difference?

Ruiner
11-05-2009, 1:10 PM
Yes, you're still resting the barrel on something. :)

MasterYong
11-06-2009, 6:16 AM
AGHHHHHH MY EYES!!! :willy_nilly:

Barrel mounted bi-pods are like nails on a chalk board to me. Barrel harmonics play a big roll but even more damaging to accuracy is just the weight pressure on the barrel. It will change you POI for sure. One should never put stress on where the barrel and the action meet.

Yeah my buddy recently bought a real nice used bushy varmint AR while we were here in AZ. He asked me to look it over when I got down here since he knew nothing about ARs (I told him not to buy it unless he knew what he was doing ... I thought he was getting screwed). WHen I looked at the rifle it looked like it'd only had a few hundred rounds through it TOPS. Then I noticed the finish on the outside of the barrel was allllll messed up and you could see bare metal underneath. I asked if he knew why the hell it looked like that and he had no idea. I couldn't figure out why the barrel would look so worn on the outside but OK on the inside along with the rest of the rifle. Wasn't until I went to put the rifle back that I noticed the barrel-mounted bipod that was sitting in the rifle case. I had heard of barrel-mounted pods but I'd never seen one and never seen what it did to a barrel. So much cosmetic damage for NOTHING. That really hurt to see.

He was so excited the rifle came with a bipod and was a little miffed when I told him to replace it since barrel-mounted pods really suck. It's odd that the previous owner had this tricked-out bushy with a real beefy comp and a two-stage trigger and whatnot then used that bipod...

WeekendWarrior
11-06-2009, 9:47 AM
WWRTW

maxicon
11-06-2009, 5:01 PM
It's also going to depend a lot on your barrel size. A bull barrel will deflect a lot less for a given amount of pressure, while a pencil barrel will deflect a lot more. Also, the amount of deflection will increase as the mount point gets further from the barrel nut.

If you're careful not to put any pressure down except the weight of the gun, you can get pretty repeatable groups, but it doesn't take much to throw it off.

For instance, the SU-16 with the handguard that converts to a bipod suffers from serious vertical stringing due to the pressure on the thin barrel. An AR with a pencil barrel would be about the same.