PDA

View Full Version : What are the benefits of a COE

762cavalier
11-04-2009, 9:05 PM
As Title says What does a COE allow you to do?

savasyn
11-04-2009, 9:11 PM
without a C&R nothing, with a C&R, you are exempt from the 1 in 30 days handgun thing(though you have to convince most dealers of this and then train them to do the paperwork properly). Yes it applies to modern guns as well as C&Rs. No, it wasn't supposed to but they failed to make the distinction in the PC so win for us!

For C&R stuff, both long and handgun, you can do the DROS from an FFL01 and take the item home that day, no waiting period. This ONLY applies to C&R stuff, not modern stuff.

If ab962 actually goes into effect, a C&R+COE will still be able to order handgun ammo legally. Good luck convincing out of state dealers about that one, the COE is a CA thing so other states won't know what the heck you are talking about.

SJgunguy24
11-04-2009, 9:12 PM
As Title says What does a COE allow you to do?

When coupled with an 03 FFL you don't have that pesky 1 in 30 day handgun BS.
When purchasing any C&R firearm it's cash and carry. IIRC no lock requirement if you have a FFL and a safe.

Instant respect at gunshops when you go to fill out the paperwork.
IIRC in order to perform DROS paperwork you need a COE that proves your back round is clear.
And the best of all, 03FFL+COE are legal for mail order handgun ammo exemptions if and when 962 starts. I plan to get a COE added to my FFL next year when if that law starts

Santa Cruz Armory
11-04-2009, 9:15 PM
I sent mine off like 3 weeks ago...

CHS
11-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Instant respect at gunshops when you go to fill out the paperwork.

If you're not already getting respect at a gunshop when you go in, then you should stop frequenting that gun shop.

SJgunguy24
11-04-2009, 11:39 PM
If you're not already getting respect at a gunshop when you go in, then you should stop frequenting that gun shop.

True, thats why I hardly go to shops anymore. Only a couple get my buisness anymore.

Edisla
11-05-2009, 6:58 AM
So to be clear...

C&R + COE = Take home that day both C&R rifles and pistols

Where as before you couldn't do pistols AT ALL and certainly not that day???

timdps
11-05-2009, 8:28 AM
So to be clear...

IF the FFL has a clue... Many do not.

SJgunguy24
11-05-2009, 8:32 AM
So to be clear...

Where as before you couldn't do pistols AT ALL and certainly not that day???

What do you mean At ALL?
If your under 21 the feds won't give you a license, if you a felon and can't own a gun this won't work either.

SJgunguy24
11-05-2009, 8:33 AM
IF the FFL has a clue... Many do not.

Ask them to study up on the law or you'll take your 1000's of dollars somewhere else.

Edisla
11-05-2009, 6:20 PM
What do you mean At ALL?
If your under 21 the feds won't give you a license, if you a felon and can't own a gun this won't work either.

I meant that with only a C&R you could not purchase handguns 50yrs or older in the same way you could rifles, through the mail.

savasyn
11-05-2009, 6:46 PM
Even an FFL03 + COE does not let you buy any handguns via mail. A C&R alone allows you to buy C&R handguns out of state however. You have to fill out the "self registration" form(can't remember what it's actually called) once you get back to CA.