PDA

View Full Version : Can an SBR be used with high-capacity magazines?

Chatterbox
11-04-2009, 7:34 PM
I was thinking of eventually converting my Draco into an SBR, but then I thought of something - even if I was able to get an SBR permit, via a trust or something, would the "under 30 inch" length count as an evil feature?

ke6guj
11-04-2009, 7:39 PM
If you could get an SBR permit (no, your trust will not help you) from CADOJ (not likely), the way the AW regs are written, I think that you'd still have to comply withe 30" rule and a fixed-mag if you had evil features even if you had an SBR permit. But, I'd guess that CADOJ could issue you an SBR and AW permit for the firearm in question, if need be.

Jicko
11-04-2009, 7:53 PM
I was thinking of eventually converting my Draco into an SBR, but then I thought of something - even if I was able to get an SBR permit, via a trust or something, would the "under 30 inch" length count as an evil feature?

Get the SBR permit FIRST... then we can talk... lol...

IF you CAN obtain a SBR permit, you can probably get your AW as well as your HCM permit....

technique
11-04-2009, 7:55 PM
TAG...

Search words: Comedy, Hilarious, Wishful thinking.

jamesob
11-04-2009, 7:59 PM
i was thinking sure, but then i saw you were in l.a then i :smilielol5:

blackrifle242
11-04-2009, 8:48 PM
SWEET.... I think I will try to get my suppressed SBR .50BMG full auto w/ a M203 GL and a side of wake up and smell the sweet freedumb of Kalifornia.

B Strong
11-05-2009, 5:17 AM
If you could get an SBR permit (no, your trust will not help you) from CADOJ (not likely), the way the AW regs are written, I think that you'd still have to comply withe 30" rule and a fixed-mag if you had evil features even if you had an SBR permit. But, I'd guess that CADOJ could issue you an SBR and AW permit for the firearm in question, if need be.

You're correct about the State of California wrt to receiving the permit, but once a Title 01 rifle becomes a NFA (SBR or MG) weapon I believe that state laws about over-all length no longer apply. I know that in purchasing a transferable MG with a barrel under 16" there isn't a second tax stamp involved, and in California you aren't required to have two permits for an MG and an SBR if the barrel and/or oal is below title 01 regs.

The question about using high-caps in interesting in that as far as I know, there hasn't been an NFA weapon built from an OLL rifle. My best swag is that once a weapon would be configured in a (whatever) legal, state permitted NFA configuratiion, the AW regs wouldn't apply, but that's just my swag.

elrcastor
11-05-2009, 5:47 AM
You're correct about the State of California wrt to receiving the permit, but once a Title 01 rifle becomes a NFA (SBR or MG) weapon I believe that state laws about over-all length no longer apply. I know that in purchasing a transferable MG with a barrel under 16" there isn't a second tax stamp involved, and in California you aren't required to have two permits for an MG and an SBR if the barrel and/or oal is below title 01 regs.

The question about using high-caps in interesting in that as far as I know, there hasn't been an NFA weapon built from an OLL rifle. My best swag is that once a weapon would be configured in a (whatever) legal, state permitted NFA configuratiion, the AW regs wouldn't apply, but that's just my swag.

SBR, SBS, and AOW's usually still get stuck with the AW problems because they are usually still semi auto, and not full auto.

elrcastor
11-05-2009, 5:48 AM
check out this thread

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=82693

mossy
11-05-2009, 9:48 AM
SBR in CA :smilielol5: remember this is not one of those cool gun free states where you can get just about anything you want.

B Strong
11-05-2009, 11:14 AM
SBR, SBS, and AOW's usually still get stuck with the AW problems because they are usually still semi auto, and not full auto.

I get what you're saying, but I think the best person to answer this would be a California type 07 SOT.

I'm just throwing swag out there.

Flopper
11-05-2009, 11:48 AM

At first I was extremely confused about this, when I finally realized that an AW is defined as semi-auto, so FA necessarily avoids the AWB. :confused:

ke6guj
11-05-2009, 12:23 PM
You're correct about the State of California wrt to receiving the permit, but once a Title 01 rifle becomes a NFA (SBR or MG) weapon I believe that state laws about over-all length no longer apply. I know that in purchasing a transferable MG with a barrel under 16" there isn't a second tax stamp involved, and in California you aren't required to have two permits for an MG and an SBR if the barrel and/or oal is below title 01 regs. that is because an MG is not a rifle. Since it isn't a rifle, it can't be an SBR.

12020(c)(20) As used in this section, a "rifle" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger. So, if MG isn't a rifle, then it can't be an SBR or an AW.