PDA

View Full Version : blueing turning brown, or was it made that way?

efnick
11-04-2009, 8:09 PM
im not sure where to post this but- i saw a rifle i am interested in today, and the bluing on the thing is a brown color? it was a high quality center fire bolt action, the bluing didnt look like it was damaged or anything, extremely high polish to it, but it had a brown accent to it. is this the way it was done in the factory on some guns, or is this some sort of aging ive never seen before? thanks guys!

Milsurp Collector
11-04-2009, 8:29 PM
Are you talking about color case-hardening, like this?

http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/client_images/catalog19872/pages/files/2216_L.jpg

efnick
11-04-2009, 8:35 PM
well i believe it was on a weatherby of some sort, and a had a low tag due to the shiny finish on the stock being all crackled around the sling swivles. the bluing had the brown color of part of that case hardening pictured, but there was no variation to it, just like it had been "browned" solid.

sevensix2x51
11-04-2009, 8:37 PM
i think a lot of old firearms are that way... it wouldnt hinder me from purchasing an otherwise good rifle....

efnick
11-04-2009, 8:40 PM
is there any way to re-finish that cracking in the glaze on the high gloss stock? the price is rather low for what it is, and it might be because of this imperfection. otherwise, it looks clean to me. action is smooth as butter, too..

sevensix2x51
11-04-2009, 8:47 PM
well, i am not a professional in the rifle stock finishing department, but west systems epoxy makes a real nice finish on spearguns. you could always strip the stock down and epoxy it. or i bet there are gunsmiths in your area that will refinish the stock, and maybe bed and float it for a modest sum, also! :thumbsup:

efnick
11-04-2009, 8:52 PM
hmm... possible solution. does anyone know if martin retting will haggle on prices of used items? im tempted...