PDA

View Full Version : PSL (Romak 3)


Pulsar
09-06-2005, 8:35 PM
I've wanted to build one of these ever since I got to shoot one in Oregon. Can easily be built for $600 or less. But it is based off of the AK reciever, so I figured it was illegal. Recently I've gotten back into looking at them, and I can't find the PSL, Romak 3, or Romanian dragunov on the CA DOJ list of banned guns.

It still has the evil feature of a thumbhole stock and a detachable mag, but it seems that if one were to permantly attach the magazine, or change the stock to a conforming design it would be a legal weapon.

Am I missing something?

TimG
09-07-2005, 9:58 AM
I believe (in a big nutshell) the Romak wuld fall under everything that makes an AK illegal plus having a thumbhole stock.
Perhaps someone with a little more knowledge could chime in here, but arnt all improted barrels and/or parts kits now illegal ??

Its it a *****en rifle though, if I could build one (and stay out of jail) I would

berg
09-07-2005, 12:46 PM
I believe, but am not certain, that the PSL falls into the "series" ban which outlaws any AK-type semiauto. The guns under this ban don't have to be listed by name.

-hanko
09-07-2005, 1:40 PM
Originally posted by TimG:
I believe (in a big nutshell) the Romak wuld fall under everything that makes an AK illegal plus having a thumbhole stock.
Perhaps someone with a little more knowledge could chime in here, but arnt all improted barrels and/or parts kits now illegal ??

Its it a *****en rifle though, if I could build one (and stay out of jail) I would
AK-type receivers, like AR-types, are banned.

Imported parts kits are not illegal and can be imported with barrels up to the end of the year. After that, imported barrels with no 'sporting purpose' are banned. Parts kits can then still be imported, but without barrels.

-hanko

Pulsar
09-07-2005, 5:52 PM
Odd. I'd figure since the Fab 10 is legal, which is an AR series with a fixed mag, that something in the AK series with a fixed mag would be legal too.

I'm so confused (I think this may become my new sig)

-hanko
09-07-2005, 9:00 PM
Originally posted by Pulsar:
Odd. I'd figure since the Fab 10 is legal, which is an AR series with a fixed mag, that something in the AK series with a fixed mag would be legal too.

I'm so confused (I think this may become my new sig)

Remember that the fab10 has to be pivoted open to reload. You could weld a 10 rounder to an ak receiver, but how would you load it??

-hanko

Pulsar
09-08-2005, 10:21 PM
I know the PSL has a fairly decent bolt catch, so it wouldn't be hard to load it from the top with a little bit of modification to the stampted plate that covers the receiver.

I also found out today in class (lassen gunsmithing program) that one of my classmates has a family member in california that got a Romak 3 reciever legally through a dealer, I guess they don't raise any red flags, I think I'm gonna try and order one and see what happens.

bwiese
09-08-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Pulsar:
I also found out today in class (lassen gunsmithing program) that one of my classmates has a family member in california that got a Romak 3 reciever legally through a dealer, I guess they don't raise any red flags, I think I'm gonna try and order one and see what happens.

Well there's no real screening, rifles are not really 'registered' (that is, supposedly after DROS/10day wait no record of exact rifle(s) you own).

So the dealer may have taken a flyer on it.

I checked the Kasler list, the DOJ's Roster of AK and AR15 Series Weapons (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/infobuls/kaslist.pdf) and there is only one ROMAK listed, Ohio Ordnance Works' ROMAK 991. So if this Romak 3 receiver were marked with another manufacturer + importer/model, then it has some Harrott protection (but cannot be assembled into a by-features AW).

While I don't have great faith in Harrott v Kings County defense, there might be some protection in it. This is a grey area, and I myself would walk way wide of it as there's always 'legislative intent' which courts often give strong deference to...

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Pulsar
09-09-2005, 12:50 PM
I think I'm gonna try and do the fixed mag idea, be a good project gun. I'm not to worried about getting in trouble cause where I live is quite rural and very pro gun. The local PD actually let's us shoot MP5's full auto at the range if you ask the right people.

bwiese
09-09-2005, 4:22 PM
Originally posted by Pulsar:
I think I'm gonna try and do the fixed mag idea, be a good project gun. I'm not to worried about getting in trouble cause where I live is quite rural and very pro gun. The local PD actually let's us shoot MP5's full auto at the range if you ask the right people.

Pulsar,

It is simply NOT rational to risk a possible felony.

Local PD is fine but what about sheriff's? CHP or state police? What if a DOJ agent rolled by (rare, but entirely possible).


Bill Wiese
San Jose

Pulsar
09-09-2005, 4:55 PM
I still say I've got a decent enough defense, it's not on the DOJ list, and I plan to make it legal.

I'm not gonna live in fear cause of vague stupid laws, if I go to jail, I go to jail, but where I'm at, I don't think a jury would convict me since it appears to comply to all california laws.