PDA

View Full Version : Primary Arms M3 clone review

gun toting monkeyboy
11-04-2009, 4:47 PM
Ok, I picked up one of the Primary Arms M3 Clone red dot scopes last week, and I finally got out to test it today. I hopfully attached a picture, but if I am too much of a chimp to get that right, you should be able to google it.

The scope itself is well built. It has brightness settings from 0 to 7. The #1 setting works well enough for low light conditions, such as stalking the dogs around the house at night in the dark. And I wonder why they hate me... Anyway, the #7 is visable in bright daylight, so it is more or less an all-around red dot scope. I had to pay the extra $10 to get the higher mount for use on an AR with a standard front sight. All things considered, it wasn't that bad of a deal. They were out of the cantilevered scope mounts, so if I ever get the urge to add one of the 3x or 5x magnifiers to it, I'll have to buy that separately.

The lenses are reasonably clear, with just that faint blueish tinge that I normally see in red dot scopes. With the higher mount, it lines up easily with my plane of sight, and gives a lower 1/3 co-witness with the front sight. It also has a large enough field of view that you can use the BUIS without losing too much of the sight picture. Mounting and zeroing it in wasn't all that difficult. I was able to get it sighted in with less than a box of ammo after just slapping it on. So far it seems to be working just fine. We'll see how it holds up to another couple of hundred rounds before I say I am completely sold on it. But I definately like it more than my standard red dots (both 30mm and 42mm). For the price, it seems really hard to beat. I think it was $79.99+ shipping, so call it around $85 out the door.

-Mb

slagusmc
11-04-2009, 6:35 PM
Thanks for the review. While I would never use anything other than aimpoint on my duty weapons, I would be interested in a cheap reasonable aimpoint style sight to use on some of my plinkers and loaner rifles. Wish I could afford all aimpoint but not in this economy,lol

dieselpower
11-04-2009, 6:38 PM
I have heard good things about these.

Standard
11-04-2009, 6:41 PM
I have the same one on my AR and it works great and has held 0 for a while now.

timmyb21
11-04-2009, 7:58 PM
Heard nothing but good about these, I'll definately be getting one for my M4 clone.

jkast003
11-08-2009, 1:13 PM
Your review convinced me to order one. Can't wait to try it out.

gun toting monkeyboy
11-08-2009, 5:58 PM
I am still fairly happy with it. But again, it needs to be used for more than a few hundred rounds before I would go out and replace my other red dots. Let us know how yours works out. And if it craps out, be sure to let us know that as well. I am hoping this one holds up, because I like it so far. But if it keels over, I will post that too. No point in doing reviews if they are just rah-rah puff pieces like the gun magazines do.

-Mb

Flogger23m
11-08-2009, 6:19 PM
Must have missed it in the post, but is it for .223?

I am thinking of getting an Aimpoint/Eotech clone for my rifle when I get a .22 conversion. But if this holds well for .223... then that will be a plus. :D

gun toting monkeyboy
11-08-2009, 6:54 PM
I am using it on a .223 (well, 5.56) rifle. 20 inch barrel.

crunchy53
11-08-2009, 9:01 PM
think this could survive a 7.62x39 saiga??

evidens83
11-08-2009, 9:12 PM
I've been following the Primary Arms red dots on AR15 also. Nothing but positive reviews. Maybe I just heard and read a rumor but is it true they're making a Micro clone? Has anybody else heard that too? I sure would like that for a range plinker!

stphnman20
11-08-2009, 9:15 PM
I've been following the Primary Arms red dots on AR15 also. Nothing but positive reviews. Maybe I just heard and read a rumor but is it true they're making a Micro clone? Has anybody else heard that too? I sure would like that for a range plinker!
Yes.. They have been making them.. The Gen3 Mirco is soon to be released.

Arteel
11-09-2009, 9:41 AM
Konus makes a micro clone and IIRC they have a lifetime warranty.

mls343
11-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but I think their M4 Style Red Dot is a clone of the Aimpoint Comp M4. Has anyone used this, and if so, any success?

Thanks!

Hyper
11-09-2009, 11:33 AM
I prefer Walther PS22 w/ either Leupold PRW or Burris Xtreme ring. Buy Walther -$59 -> sell cantilever mount on eBay + 25 ($34) -> buy set of 2 PRW or Xtreme 30mm rings - $55 ($89) -> sell 1 PRW / Xtreme +30 on eBay -> total => $59

I have done this 3 times. Walther PS22 w/ PRW or Xtreme are great sights for .22LRs or plinkers .223. However, I also have a CompM2 & CompM3 in my favorite rifles. I do not like EOTech at all. I sold mine. I hated the circle/dot combination.

till44
11-09-2009, 12:45 PM
think this could survive a 7.62x39 saiga??

Yes it will, Marshal (the owner) tests each model for durability, starting off with low recoil rifles and finally ending the testing on a Beowolf upper. Lots of guys on ARF have reported it keeping zero on AKs and shotguns with no problem.

tomd1584
11-09-2009, 2:27 PM
I had bought the M3 style a few months ago to test the waters and see if a red dot was what i actually wanted. put a case of ammo thru my rifle with it on, and decided i liked it. Ended up buying an Aimpoint micro H-1.

It was an inexpensive way to test an aimpoint "style" out, without getting something that would fall apart and without spending the $400 a real one costs. Plus I got 90% of my money back when I re-sold it here on calguns.

crunchy53
11-09-2009, 4:33 PM
thanks, looks like i will be putting this on my dogleg when i get it ;)

Yes it will, Marshal (the owner) tests each model for durability, starting off with low recoil rifles and finally ending the testing on a Beowolf upper. Lots of guys on ARF have reported it keeping zero on AKs and shotguns with no problem.

justin_5585
11-09-2009, 4:44 PM
I have their weapons light, and am very impressed, but I kept with an Aimpoint for my AR due to the battery life, and the awesome deal I got. I am waiting for him to get his flip to side mount going for the magnifiers though, I will buy that for sure. Can't see spending 200 on a mount after shipping, especially to a company like larue...

KRS Juan
11-09-2009, 6:19 PM
I have the Primary Arms M4 clone as well as the 4x fixed fake acogish one and like both very much.

The m4 went on my daniel defense and worked as advertised for 2k rounds over 3 months, I decided I wanted to try something magnified and replaced it with the 4x.

http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=206&categoryId=2

That guy is the ticket! Plinking the far metal targets at Angeles yesterday was a blast, we put 500 rounds through it w/out issue.

I put the M4 on my BuckMark and it went from fun to STUPID FUN! Even the worst shooter in our group was hitting metal every time.

gun toting monkeyboy
12-01-2009, 8:13 PM
Well, I have had the sight sitting on in the #7 position for the last 3 days. The red dot is still very visable, although I would say it is probably down to the equivilent of the #4 or #5 setting was with fresh batteries. I will post back when it becomes unuseable in direct sunlight. My Tasco 30mm Red Dot scope, on the other hand, gave up the ghost this afternoon, after the same period of time in the on position. I think the Tasco's days are numbered at this point. I'll probably go with another one of these M3 clones to replace it. While the LR44 batteries are a bit harder to find than the 2032's, I happened to find 6 packs of them at Michaels (a craft store) for cheap.

-Mb

tomd1584
12-01-2009, 8:28 PM
Well, I have had the sight sitting on in the #7 position for the last 3 days. The red dot is still very visable, although I would say it is probably down to the equivilent of the #4 or #5 setting was with fresh batteries. I will post back when it becomes unuseable in direct sunlight. My Tasco 30mm Red Dot scope, on the other hand, gave up the ghost this afternoon, after the same period of time in the on position. I think the Tasco's days are numbered at this point. I'll probably go with another one of these M3 clones to replace it. While the LR44 batteries are a bit harder to find than the 2032's, I happened to find 6 packs of them at Michaels (a craft store) for cheap.

-Mb

Just an FYI, Marshall got the micro red dots in stock yesterday

erblo
12-01-2009, 8:57 PM
Just an FYI, Marshall got the micro red dots in stock yesterday

Anyone use the micro red dot yet? I'm curious...

aermotor
12-01-2009, 11:46 PM
I have the Primary Arms M4 clone as well as the 4x fixed fake acogish one and like both very much.

The m4 went on my daniel defense and worked as advertised for 2k rounds over 3 months, I decided I wanted to try something magnified and replaced it with the 4x.

http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=206&categoryId=2

That guy is the ticket! Plinking the far metal targets at Angeles yesterday was a blast, we put 500 rounds through it w/out issue.

I put the M4 on my BuckMark and it went from fun to STUPID FUN! Even the worst shooter in our group was hitting metal every time.

Now that looks nice! Too bad they are out of stock ahh!

pratchett
12-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Konus makes a micro clone and IIRC they have a lifetime warranty.

Good point, though worth mentioning that Marshall gives a 1-year warranty. Not as good as lifetime, but for the price it just can't be beat.

The reason things seem to go out of stock and then not be replaced is because the merchandise is always on a slow-boat from China. With a relatively new business, I'm sure he doesn't want to get caught holding the bag on a ton of items that aren't going to be sold. THOUGH I do understand he's doing brisk business. I have no inside track, these are all things I've picked up by reading here and arfcom.

Noonanda
12-02-2009, 1:25 PM
I bought one of the P/A M-3 clones a few months ago and have it mounted on one of my AR's, Pretty good piece of gear for the price. I bought a aimpoint cover for it for S&G's, definately good enough for what I need it for

gun toting monkeyboy
12-02-2009, 2:21 PM
I've looked over a bunch of his other scopes, as they are decent prices. But I think I'll wait for the next batch of these to come in just to keep it simple with batteries and parts and such.

KRS Juan
12-02-2009, 4:48 PM
My primary arms m4 clone died 2 weeks ago. I have sent Marshal 3 very polite emails from 2 different email address' (in case of spam filters) over the past two weeks and have yet to see a response. I cant say I'm happy anymore, and I was going to buy a micro as well.

Noonanda
12-02-2009, 5:03 PM
My primary arms m4 clone died 2 weeks ago. I have sent Marshal 3 very polite emails from 2 different email address' (in case of spam filters) over the past two weeks and have yet to see a response. I cant say I'm happy anymore, and I was going to buy a micro as well.

try posting in his ad on ARF and Im sure he will reply quick

stphnman20
12-02-2009, 5:08 PM
Yeah hit me up on arfcom.. He's pretty active there..

mk3mitch
12-02-2009, 5:18 PM
I just got mine in the mail today. Mounted it and it looks really good. I will sight it in this weeked and see how it works.

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp1/mk3mitch/MYAR.jpg

KRS Juan
12-03-2009, 8:09 AM
Update:
Marshal's assistant contacted me and is processing the exchange, things are looking much better now. Im going to order the micro as well so I'll post an update on that.

aermotor
12-03-2009, 9:44 AM
What do you mean by died? Won't turn on, rectile is still there but won't illuminate?

KRS Juan
12-03-2009, 2:32 PM
The reddot stopped showing up, a gentle smack to the side would bring it back, but it would go away after firing the next round. There is no reticle on the M4 clone, just the dot. I have changed batteries to no avail. Primary already agreed to replace it and mentioned that mine came from on of the first orders and that the new ones should be better.

lumwilliam
02-28-2010, 10:43 AM
I'm hoping some of you guys have built up a little experience with the Primary Arms M3 Red Dots and can can give a range report. How have they performed? Are they still holding zero? Anyone know where they are in stock?

Noobert
02-28-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm hoping some of you guys have built up a little experience with the Primary Arms M3 Red Dots and can can give a range report. How have they performed? Are they still holding zero? Anyone know where they are in stock?

A lot of people can testify that their M3 has held zero after quite a lot of rounds. They are out of stock, and on Feb. 10th they quoted me 45-60 days before it will be back in stock.

Merc1138
02-28-2010, 11:11 AM
I actually got myself one of the M4 style red dots from primary arms for christmas, for going to the range I love it. The main reason I picked the m4 over the m3 was simply due to the batteries. I can find AA's a lot easier than I can find LR44's.

gun toting monkeyboy
02-28-2010, 5:03 PM
I have put several hundred rounds through both of my M3 clones. They have held up very well. I am bumping them down from my HD guns because I finally broke down and got a real M3 and a 9000L to replace them. But they are definately staying on some of my ARs. They are not nearly as good as a real M3, but for $80, you can't beat it. And the battery life is still way up there for the lower-priced red dots. I will probably order another PA clone when they are back in stock.

-Mb

lumwilliam
02-28-2010, 8:24 PM
I have put several hundred rounds through both of my M3 clones. They have held up very well. .......I finally broke down and got a real M3 and a 9000L to replace them......They are not nearly as good as a real M3, but for $80, you can't beat it.

Appreciate the feedback. Care to expand? I've got my 1st AR making its way from Georgia in the back of a UPS truck and am deciding whether to get a Primary Arms Clone and start practicing with a red dot now, or save up and stick with iron sites until 2011 when I can afford a real one. What benefits will I see from spending the extra $300+?

gun toting monkeyboy
02-28-2010, 8:53 PM
Appreciate the feedback. Care to expand? I've got my 1st AR making its way from Georgia in the back of a UPS truck and am deciding whether to get a Primary Arms Clone and start practicing with a red dot now, or save up and stick with iron sites until 2011 when I can afford a real one. What benefits will I see from spending the extra $300+?

The real ones have better fit and finish. And the battery can last for 5+ years in the real ones. And that means in the on position for 5 years. The PA clones have a battery that will last about a week, being on 24 hours a day. PA has a 1 year warranty. Aimpoint has a 10 year warranty. The optics and red dot are clearer and crisper in the real ones. As for getting a clone, I would get one as soon as I could if I were in your shoes. That way you have one to shoot with until you can save up. I have been running them on my primary carbine and my HD gun for months. And I wouldn't hesitate to use one if the SHTF. They are a great substitute for those of us on budgets. I was able to get mine because I ran into a great sale and some extra cash. Had I not, I would still be reasonably happy with having to use the clones.

-Mb

aermotor
03-02-2010, 1:55 PM
Got mine a while back and was able to shoot it recently... absolutely amazing! Dead on when zeroing at 25 yards (1 moa easily) and was easily hitting all the way to 400 yards with it every single time, also reaching out to 5 wasn't tough either. We'll see how long it stays zeroed, but man this thing is amazing!

gun toting monkeyboy
03-12-2010, 1:28 PM
I just got the following info back from Primary Arms. They are currently out of most of their red dot scopes. Here is what they said:

"The M3 is about 30-45 days out, the m4 is about 15-30 days out. The Gen2 and Gen3 Non-Blem Micro dots are about 2-3 weeks out. "

So anybody that has been looking for these, get on their email alert list. They will let you know when they come in. I am planning on getting a couple more of their red dot scopes for my non-SHTF rifles and carbines. Yes, I have aimpoints, but I can't afford to top every rifle I have with them. These I can afford enough of to bump all of my older Tasco and Burris 30mm red dot scopes down to less important toys. And I like PA's stuff enough to use as often as I can.

-Mb