PDA

View Full Version : Inglewood police paying $100 for junk guns this Saturday

locktime
11-04-2009, 3:50 PM
Here's your chance to get $100 for any low quality beater guns you have hanging around. Get there early. They usually run out of gift cards before it's over.

From the Daily Breeze 11/2/2009

The Inglewood Police Department on Saturday will hand out gift cards in exchange for guns.

The "Gifts for Guns" program will run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. behind the Target and Home Depot stores at 3471 W. Century Blvd.

Police officers will issue a $100 gift card while supplies last to the person who brings in the weapon.

The program is designed to make Inglewood a safer community.

Participants should enter the parking lot through the entrance on Village Drive. They will be directed into the designated gun exchange area by uniformed police officers.

Police will give a maximum of three gift cards per person, but will accept additional or unwanted firearms that are brought to the exchange site.

Police issued these guidelines for safety:

All firearms brought to the exchange site should be unloaded already.

People who drive should place the firearms in a trunk or rear compartment of the vehicle. No more than three firearms should be transported in one vehicle.
Advertisement

People who walk should place their guns inside a sturdy bag, such as a gym bag or suitcase and brought to the exchange site. No more than three guns should be placed in one bag.

For more, contact the Inglewood Police Department's Community Affairs Section at 310-412-5530.

00BuckShot
11-04-2009, 3:52 PM
So all the guns that some thug has taken in his home invasion roberies he can cash out, no questions asked? What a waste of money. :( Thanks for the heads up...I'll make sure to stay away. When they run out of gift cards, I don't want to be near the place.

blackbok
11-04-2009, 6:51 PM
Any paperwork involved, or you hand em a gun and they hand you a card?

Adrien
11-04-2009, 6:57 PM
I would definitely do this if they had one around here. We've got a few old junked 22's that I would love to trade for $100.

Adrien

Dekker
11-04-2009, 6:57 PM
Pretty sweet, purchased a $30 sewer pipe Mosin because I wanted a wall hanger, but now I can turn that puppy in and net me a cool $100. I even have a parts-only .22 that I bought for $20 hoping I could fix it up but the cost of the parts for such an old .22 were wild so I just have it stored in my closet. $200 for my $50 WOOOO!

Swatguy10_15
11-04-2009, 7:03 PM
So all the guns that some thug has taken in his home invasion roberies he can cash out, no questions asked? What a waste of money. :( Thanks for the heads up...I'll make sure to stay away. When they run out of gift cards, I don't want to be near the place.

Even though this does suck TREMENDOUSLY its considerably better to have these things turned in and away from the street vrs. the other options.Selling them amongst each other, theyre obvious continued use in violent crimes.etc etc..Its a bummer,but atleast in the end there will be that many more weapons off the street. I think thats a goal we could all be happy about.

xibunkrlilkidsx
11-05-2009, 7:19 AM
Even though this does suck TREMENDOUSLY its considerably better to have these things turned in and away from the street vrs. the other options.Selling them amongst each other, theyre obvious continued use in violent crimes.etc etc..Its a bummer,but atleast in the end there will be that many more weapons off the street. I think thats a goal we could all be happy about.

they arent going to turn the guns in that work. they iwll probably just turnt he ones in that are broken.

audihenry
11-05-2009, 7:34 AM
they arent going to turn the guns in that work. they iwll probably just turnt he ones in that are broken.

You're basing that on assumption. Back it up with facts.

Adrien
11-05-2009, 7:52 AM

Seriously. Obviously this is something the PD is trying to do to be preemptive on crime in the area (which is a good idea), and some people just want to crap all over it.

Adrien

Guns R Tools
11-05-2009, 9:07 AM
Some old ladies who have dead husband's old gun might trade in, because she knows no other way and have no clue on value of said firearm.

covertcombatant
11-05-2009, 9:14 AM
When they run out, say someone had a firearm they were legally trading in for $100.00 dollars. Is it illegal to stand out there and hold a sign that says "I buy legal firearms"? Just a question

covertcombatant
11-05-2009, 9:15 AM
Of course transfering it the proper way.

Spade421
11-05-2009, 9:17 AM
Hopefully they check the serial numbers when they log them in and if the gun is stolen and been reported hopefully the PD will contact the owner and return it to them.

doc1buc
11-05-2009, 9:19 AM
I can't wait until Fairfield does it again, I have an old beater stevens shotgun that I just don't have time to restore

locktime
11-05-2009, 9:31 AM
If a gun is obviously broken they probably won't give you the gift card. They get a lot of single shot shotguns and beat up 22 rifles. They also get pistols that weren't worth $100 brand new and you wouldn't want for anything except a curiosity or a paperweight.

munkeeboi
11-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Can't wait for the news tomorrow when they have a picture of mp5's, a bazooka and other "assault weapons" turned in as a result of the drive

locosway
11-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Would they take a named lower that's not a RAW?

Walker
11-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Hopefully they check the serial numbers when they log them in and if the gun is stolen and been reported hopefully the PD will contact the owner and return it to them.

Some how I highly doubt they would. Even if they found the owner I would guess those that set up the exchange would rather the weapons be destroyed then given back to their rightful owners.

locktime
11-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Would they take a named lower that's not a RAW?

They would certainly take it, but they might say it has to be a complete firearm to get the $100 gift card.

locosway
11-05-2009, 12:11 PM
They would certainly take it, but they might say it has to be a complete firearm to get the $100 gift card.

If you didn't turn it in and left with it, would they arrest you outside? lol

mosinnagantm9130
11-05-2009, 3:21 PM
When they run out, say someone had a firearm they were legally trading in for $100.00 dollars. Is it illegal to stand out there and hold a sign that says "I buy legal firearms"? Just a question

Not if your an FFL holder.

locosway
11-05-2009, 3:24 PM
Not if your an FFL holder.

Citizens can't advertise that they buy firearms?

Mute
11-05-2009, 3:38 PM
What? The criminals don't do a good enough job getting rid of their own homicide evidence, the PD needs to help?

jaymz
11-05-2009, 3:55 PM

Google (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+gun+buybacks+work%3F+) can be your friend.

RTE
11-05-2009, 4:00 PM
Originally Posted by Spade421

Some how I highly doubt they would. Even if they found the owner I would guess those that set up the exchange would rather the weapons be destroyed then given back to their rightful owners.

This would fall under protect and serve
Buying them for $100 is protecting the general public from the firearm.
Returning the firearm to the right full owner Should be the service part
Sadly Walker probably has it right with they would rather the weapons be destroyed then given back to their rightful owners.

IrishPirate
11-05-2009, 4:01 PM
sounds like a good idea to me....as long as they turn around and sell the guns to law abiding citizens and not destroy them

audihenry
11-05-2009, 4:53 PM
sounds like a good idea to me....as long as they turn around and sell the guns to law abiding citizens and not destroy them

Why should they do that? Can you imagine the liability of selling some old, half-broken gun back to the public??

Seesm
11-05-2009, 6:33 PM
No thugs will turn in ther GATZ... Dumb idea as ALL like this are. I will BUY ALL (working) firearms from them if they like... INglewood ya her me now? :)

mosinnagantm9130
11-06-2009, 3:01 PM
Citizens can't advertise that they buy firearms?

You can, nothing wrong with that. I'd just imagine that if the police ask you what your doing, you'd have an easier time of it if they knew that you were an FFL holder.

locosway
11-06-2009, 4:23 PM
You can, nothing wrong with that. I'd just imagine that if the police ask you what your doing, you'd have an easier time of it if they knew that you were an FFL holder.

I don't see it being any of their business as long as you conduct your PPT at a FFL.

SLYoteBoy
11-06-2009, 7:32 PM
Working and/or stolen guns (worth something) will be added to ranking officers home gun collection.

SCMA-1
11-07-2009, 10:18 AM
I showed up right at 10AM and there already were about 20 cars in front of me. The whole process took about 30 minutes; most of it was spent waiting in line. Pulled up to the first checkpoint and an officer asked me what type of gun I was turning in and how many. He then asked if it was unloaded. He gives you a ticket (per gun) and you wait there in your vehicle until the next station is available. 5 minutes, and the "transfer" station was ready for me to pull up and relinquish the gun. I pulled forward and the attendant officer asked where the gun was located. I had it on the seat next to me in a locked container. I handed him the key and he went around to the passenger side, retrieved the case from my seat, unlocked it and pulled out the gun. He handed it to another officer and then instructed me to pull forward to the final station to receive my give certificate. I did so and was on my way. That's it; no questions asked other than what I mentioned and I now have a nice $100 American Express gift card to spend.:D I asked one officer if they had conducted gun buy backs previously and he told me this was their first. Kudos to Inglewood PD for a very well run and professional event!:thumbsup:

jumbopanda
11-07-2009, 11:26 AM
I showed up right at 10AM and there already were about 20 cars in front of me. The whole process took about 30 minutes; most of it was spent waiting in line. Pulled up to the first checkpoint and an officer asked me what type of gun I was turning in and how many. He then asked if it was unloaded. He gives you a ticket (per gun) and you wait there in your vehicle until the next station is available. 5 minutes, and the "transfer" station was ready for me to pull up and relinquish the gun. I pulled forward and the attendant officer asked where the gun was located. I had it on the seat next to me in a locked container. I handed him the key and he went around to the passenger side, retrieved the case from my seat, unlocked it and pulled out the gun. He handed it to another officer and then instructed me to pull forward to the final station to receive my give certificate. I did so and was on my way. That's it; no questions asked other than what I mentioned and I now have a nice $100 American Express gift card to spend.:D I asked one officer if they had conducted gun buy backs previously and he told me this was their first. Kudos to Inglewood PD for a very well run and professional event!:thumbsup:

You do realize that you just got used by the antis right?

locktime
11-07-2009, 1:41 PM
If the government wants to waste their money on futile gestures why not be first in line to get it.

There's a lot of guns out there that were never worth $100 on their best day, and that I wouldn't want if someone gave to me. (Except to collect $ from futile govt. programs).

audihenry
11-07-2009, 2:03 PM

Interesting experience. Opens up the door for some small-scale arbitrage opportunities. ;)

jaymz
11-07-2009, 2:51 PM

You do realize that they took down your license plate number, and you now are on the "list". :TFH:

JohnBrian
11-07-2009, 4:25 PM
Wish somebody would have one here in Bakersfield. I got a couple of sort-of-working-but-unreliable bolt action shotguns I'd willingly trade for a couple of $100.00 Amex gift cards. (I won't divulge my profit margin. :43:)

.22guy
11-07-2009, 4:32 PM
Wish somebody would have one here in Bakersfield. I got a couple of sort-of-working-but-unreliable bolt action shotguns I'd willingly trade for a couple of $100.00 Amex gift cards. (I won't divulge my profit margin. :43:)

Luckily law enforcement in Kern County isn't retarded like some others....

Gun buy "backs", sigh.

JohnBrian
11-07-2009, 4:49 PM

Luckily law enforcement in Kern County isn't retarded like some others....

Gun buy "backs", sigh.
:yes: :yes:

nrandell
11-07-2009, 5:54 PM
I just heard on the news that someone turned in a live grenade! :eek:

Of course it was still "no questions asked".

jumbopanda
11-07-2009, 8:04 PM
I know some people out there have really junky guns that they want to just easily get rid of, but every time you guys participate in one of these "buy backs", you're just encouraging bad behavior. These programs don't reduce crime, and the city is spending taxpayer money to fund them. On top of that, the antis can come out afterwards and say, "Look at all these dangerous weapons we took off the streets!" while holding up the one or two scariest-looking guns that they managed to pick up.

SCMA-1
11-07-2009, 8:19 PM
I just heard on the news that someone turned in a live grenade! :eek:

Of course it was still "no questions asked".

man.......now that's a waste of a perfectly good grenade.:(

Seriously!

Dekker
11-07-2009, 9:08 PM
Turned in 3 junkers(I'm talking like...if you admire your hands and face, do NOT chamber a round and pull the trigger). On some of them I salvaged any spare parts that wouldn't make the rifle look bare(springs, pins, screws, and other internals). I got $300, they got 100% non functioning hollow rifles. One of them was a complete rust bucket Mosin with no rifling left....you might as well call it a smooth bore musket.

audihenry
11-07-2009, 9:23 PM
Turned in 3 junkers(I'm talking like...if you admire your hands and face, do NOT chamber a round and pull the trigger). On some of them I salvaged any spare parts that wouldn't make the rifle look bare(springs, pins, screws, and other internals). I got $300, they got 100% non functioning hollow rifles. One of them was a complete rust bucket Mosin with no rifling left....you might as well call it a smooth bore musket.

How is that NOT awesome?? :-D

Can you use the card anywhere?

Dekker
11-07-2009, 9:44 PM
From what the cop told me, yes. Cuh-CHING! One of them was a $20 .22 rifle that I picked up hoping I could fix it but because it was so old...the parts were rare and if you found them...expensive. After I stripped it down, I no doubt turned that $20 rifle into a $10 one and got $100 bucks for it yay! Wonder what they'll say when they figure out that Mosin is missing the internals of the bolt and the magazine spring among other things >_> <_< LOL

audihenry
11-07-2009, 10:45 PM
From what the cop told me, yes. Cuh-CHING! One of them was a $20 .22 rifle that I picked up hoping I could fix it but because it was so old...the parts were rare and if you found them...expensive. After I stripped it down, I no doubt turned that $20 rifle into a $10 one and got $100 bucks for it yay! Wonder what they'll say when they figure out that Mosin is missing the internals of the bolt and the magazine spring among other things >_> <_< LOL

Frankly, I don't think they care: it's not their own money to worry about and resale isn't their goal.

They COULD make playgrounds out of old Mosins! ;)

slik556
11-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Frankly, I don't think they care: it's not their own money to worry about and resale isn't their goal.

They COULD make playgrounds out of old Mosins! ;)

They don't care as long as they get something, so they can line them all up on a table and get the news to do a story on it. All while they are patting them self on the back, stating that they have removed these dangerous weapons form the streets. SPIN SPIN SPIN You know that is what they will be saying and you and I know that these are worthless junk.. Just a few posts above verifies this... He turned in 3 almost total crap nonfiring guns and got $300.00.

SCMA-1
11-08-2009, 6:38 AM
How is that NOT awesome?? :-D

Can you use the card anywhere?

Pretty much; you can use the gift card wherever American Express is accepted. CA-CHING!!!:D

Fjold
11-08-2009, 6:56 AM

$300 makes a down payment for a spray from the hip, no reloading required, killing machine. You might even be able to get a shoulder thing that goes up.

asheron2
11-08-2009, 4:12 PM
So, if i have a screwed up AK receiver that was epic fail.............would they take it and give me $100...........im getting paid to screw up, heck yeah :D

audihenry
11-08-2009, 4:52 PM
So, if i have a screwed up AK receiver that was epic fail.............would they take it and give me $100...........im getting paid to screw up, heck yeah :D

I'm not sure they want half-bent pieces of steel lol

voere22
11-16-2009, 7:59 PM
nice i pay taxes, some chump robbs my house takes my guns shoots someone and the the chump gets $100 of my tax money to dispose of the evidence. only in America!

audihenry
11-16-2009, 8:56 PM
nice i pay taxes, some chump robbs my house takes my guns shoots someone and the the chump gets $100 of my tax money to dispose of the evidence. only in America!

1) Put your guns in a safe.
2) You have no evidence that that is the case anyway.
3) A billion dollars of your tax dollars is used to wage an illegal war. A few grand to get half-working guns out of homes isn't the end of the world.

locosway
11-16-2009, 8:58 PM
1) Put your guns in a safe.
2) You have no evidence that that is the case anyway.
3) A billion dollars of your tax dollars is used to wage an illegal war. A few grand to get half-working guns out of homes isn't the end of the world.

You still have no clue what you're doing here, do you?