PDA

View Full Version : CheaperThanDirt.com wont sell AR15 grips or LPK's to California

JaMail
11-04-2009, 4:36 PM
i wanted to buy this and was told i couldnt.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=72872
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/72872.jpg

so i asked the customer service lady why not and got the following .

"As far as the restrictions are concerned, as the link mentions the items may be legal for you to own and available to purchase locally, but your State does not want us to send them to you."

so i asked her the follwowing and am waiting for a call back.

"im interested to know if it was the CA DOJ or an individual DA that pressured your company into not selling something that is 100% legal to buy and own in california and that hundreds of other vendors all over the country sell all the time. I'm speaking of any AR15 lower parts kit.

Her answer

As far as the restrictions are concerned, if you have a more questions, please go to the Law Librarian's website to find your state and local representatives. Cheaper Than Dirt reserves the right to restrict items based on the laws in each state."

and my answer

thank you for the prompt answers and great customer service. Please forward this to your manager that I think you did a great job in answering my emails in an extremly efficient and timely manner.

I will also have to add that this will be my last purchase from CTD since I do not appreciate being treated like a criminal and denied the right to purchase something as simple as a pistol grip that is 100% legal in my state. While I understand you must deny sales of contraband, where will this end? the refusal to sell a holster? a sling? targets?

Thanks,

Jason

Thanks,

Jason"

odysseus
11-04-2009, 4:37 PM
CTD sucks.

SgtDinosaur
11-04-2009, 4:43 PM
They're just paranoid. They'll ship me all the ammo I want, but won't sell some BUIS. There's plenty of other places online that have no problem shipping legal stuff to California. Midway comes to mind, or Brownell's.

ke6guj
11-04-2009, 4:44 PM
CTD sucks.+1.

they are afraid to send anything AW-related into CA. It doesn't matter to them that the parts are not regulated. They fall back on the "our lawyers say not to" defense.

m1aowner
11-04-2009, 4:53 PM
Yup well known around here. They suck. Buy from CA friendly vendor.

JaMail
11-04-2009, 4:59 PM
yea, i pretty much realize that now, ill never buy from them agian, heres their answer.

"
"As far as the restrictions are concerned, if you have a more questions, please go to the Law Librarian's website to find your state and local representatives. Cheaper Than Dirt reserves the right to restrict items based on the laws in each state."

HowardW56
11-04-2009, 5:02 PM
Just pretend CTD doesn't exist...

They act like we don't!!

Full Clip
11-04-2009, 5:13 PM
CTD used to get a fair amount of my money before I wised up.

HowardW56
11-04-2009, 5:21 PM
CTD used to get a fair amount of my money before I wised up.

You aren't the only one, I spent quite a bit with them too. Not at all in the last 1 - 2 years

dfletcher
11-04-2009, 5:23 PM
One of the on line vendors, pretty sure it was Sportsmans Guide, wouldn't sell me a flip type M1 carbine rear sight so I simply told them thanks and goodbye. Haven't ordered from them in a few years, stopped my preferred customer thing and told them why & toss the catalogs.

bhaworth
11-04-2009, 5:25 PM
I stopped doing business with them after my first attempt to order from them. They are idiots.

bwiese
11-04-2009, 5:27 PM
I believe - tentatively - somehow a nice presentation of "Doing Firearms Biz in CA" will be at SHOT Show.

CTD and Sportsman's Guide will be used as examples of how NOT to do biz, and they will be held out as "opportinity creators" for other folks to exploit.

Electricboy
11-04-2009, 5:33 PM
what is the "SHOT Show"?

blackberg
11-04-2009, 5:42 PM
CTD sucks on various levels, dont use them for anything, boycott all the way.
-bb

CSACANNONEER
11-04-2009, 5:44 PM
what is the "SHOT Show"?

It's the biggest firearms trade show in the world. It is NOT a gun show. It is a trade show restricted to people in the industry.

n2k
11-04-2009, 6:03 PM
what is the "SHOT Show"?

http://www.shotshow.org

gregorylucas
11-04-2009, 7:09 PM
I had the same problem with CTD but on a DPMS 16" AR upper that I was looking at. I got on with their live support and asked them who stated they would not ship due to the request of the CA DOJ. That was the first time I ever was going to order something from CTD and it was also my last.

-Greg

Telperion
11-04-2009, 7:25 PM
See all those vendors at the bottom of the main forum page? Buy from one of them, they'll sell to you, and they support the site.

Lead Lobber
11-04-2009, 7:38 PM
Yeah, they, by law, can't sell sling shot or nut crackers to local squirrels, per local ordinances.

My city, Sunnyvale, strictly prohibits squirrels to play with, or count, their nuts in the fall.

Welcome to California! :sleeping:

97F1504RAD
11-04-2009, 8:44 PM
Old news and one of the many reason I will not do business with them for anything. If they are not even willing to ship legal items why bother giving them your money.

There are plenty of forum vendors who would love your business. May be a few bucks more but worth it in my book.

Eroland7
11-04-2009, 8:45 PM
:beatdeadhorse5:

IGOTDIRT4U
11-05-2009, 9:04 AM
+1.

they are afraid to send anything AW-related into CA. It doesn't matter to them that the parts are not regulated. They fall back on the "our lawyers say not to" defense.

Weird, because a month ago I posted my experience where I ordered many AR parts and had a minor problem, but got it straightened out and my order shipped next day. I also have ordered LPK's and many other AR parts over the past year with no problem.

Never did I hear "We can't ship that to California" as a whole.

jdogg2000
11-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Yeah Sportsmans Guide is very similar to CTD. They refused to ship ammo to me in San Diego. I immediately called them to cancel my club membership.

tpliquid1
11-05-2009, 2:14 PM
CTD got some cool tactical gear

stormy_clothing
11-05-2009, 4:06 PM
CTD has shipped me many many ar parts but they do have odd restrictions like they will ship a forward pistol grip but not the mako one - so I buy from somewhere else.

They have great prices and a large selection so I just do like I have with any vendor that does'nt carry something I want buy it somewhere else.

Also there return policy is good too.

The OP sounds like a whiner to be honest.

Ech0Sierra
11-05-2009, 5:57 PM
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/72872

11-05-2009, 5:58 PM
Maybe they should change their name to "Dumber Than Dirt"

Builder
11-05-2009, 9:27 PM
Every so often when I've feeling blue, I call up CTD and ask for a catalog. I then recycle it properly when it arrives. I smile knowing I cost them a few $ each year.
Builder

bigstick61
11-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Yeah Sportsmans Guide is very similar to CTD. They refused to ship ammo to me in San Diego. I immediately called them to cancel my club membership.

Really? I've never had a problem with them for anything. I buy mostly from them, now, particularly when it comes to ammo. I've saved alot of money buying from them and the membership easily paid for itself, which is why they continue to get my business. They almost always have the lowest price, and when they don't, the way they price shipping makes up for it, as do the coupons I get sent all of the time.

Deamer
11-05-2009, 11:15 PM
CTD and SG definatly have some screwed up policies. SG won't even send a brass catcher to Ca because it is listed for an AR.

HappyG
11-05-2009, 11:20 PM
I stopped giving business to CTD many years ago...boy has that company changed from when things were actually "cheaper than dirt." Now it's "cheaper than gold."

Nodda Duma
11-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Love it. That is a very efficient way to generate shifts in company policies, I might add.

-Jason

I believe - tentatively - somehow a nice presentation of "Doing Firearms Biz in CA" will be at SHOT Show.

CTD and Sportsman's Guide will be used as examples of how NOT to do biz, and they will be held out as "opportinity creators" for other folks to exploit.

stillnotbob
11-06-2009, 11:28 AM
And yet a couple of months ago they shipped me a complete AR upper receiver. Still cant buy a complete upper from them. :rolleyes:

Amacias805
11-06-2009, 2:42 PM
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/72872

they are just as bad....

do a search of them

tonelar
11-06-2009, 5:37 PM
I stopped doing business with them when they eroniously changed their ammo sales policy to San Francisco. Used to buy cases from them all the time.

UK THEM!

tonelar
11-06-2009, 5:40 PM
And yet a couple of months ago they shipped me a complete AR upper receiver. Still cant buy a complete upper from them. :rolleyes:

Ok
That makes 0 sense.

a1c
11-13-2009, 2:03 PM
Hmm... I had to go with them recently to buy a couple of Kahr mags I couldn't find anywhere else I knew and that they had at a very good price.

The package - a padded envelope - arrived empty save for a catalog. I was furious. I call them, and during the call I flipped the envelope and noticed it had been neatly opened on the other side. Some ******* FedEx or USPS scum stole the merchandise.

During the call I explained what had happened, and 10 minutes later they called me back, apologized and told me they'd FedEx Express the items ASAP.

Overall a pretty good customer experience, I must say. I was pleasantly surprised.

blacksheep
11-13-2009, 5:20 PM
CTD sucks.

Why would you blame CTD, it's Cali lawmakers that suck, let's face it you voted for these idiots.
Can't blame a company for not wanting to deal with that nonsense.

jaymz
11-13-2009, 5:31 PM
Nevermind.

tenpercentfirearms
11-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Why would you blame CTD, it's Cali lawmakers that suck, let's face it you voted for these idiots.
Can't blame a company for not wanting to deal with that nonsense.

No I didn't. I have conservative reps.

The problem with your argument is the CA reps haven't actually banned any of the items CTD won't ship to CA. CTD is going beyond state restrictions and imposing their own restrictions far more draconian than our state does.

Who really is creating restrictive policies that limit one's right to choose?

However, that is their right as it is their business. And for that simple reason, I won't ever buy anything from them ever again. There are way too many other, smarter businesses out there that have no problems doing lawful commerce with me.

All it takes is a little education. CTD has been hounded about their policies for years. A smart company would have figured out by now that they can do lawful commerce with CA on most of these items and revised their policy. A stupid company would keep restricting it despite their potential customers demand.

This isn't rocket science.

HCz
11-14-2009, 11:42 PM
10% nails it. I think spreading the facts about the law and its limits will be a good way to go. I'm glad to hear that there will be a (tentative) seminar about selling to CA. Hopefully we can provide some economical relief to out of state vendors who are having difficult times in this economy.