PDA

View Full Version : Shooting a AR at a public range question

11-04-2009, 4:36 PM
Hello to all, Please don't bash me because I am new to this site.
I have a brand new stag arms 2t that I would like to shoot here in CA. the firearm has a bullet button to make it CA legal. My question is can I remove the mag at the range or should I open it and load it from the top.

Thank You

Jeff213
11-04-2009, 4:37 PM
no reason not to remove the mag at the range... perfectly legal.

Arteel
11-04-2009, 4:39 PM
Most ranges require you to remove the mag and lock the bolt back to make sure the firearm is clear.

00BuckShot
I use the flip top at the public ranges just so some know-it-all doesn't have and excuse to come up to me and tell me that I'm breaking the law.

kf6tac
As far as the law is concerned, you're free and clear to drop the mag using a bullet or other tool to actuate the bullet button. Someone who's not educated on the nuances of CA's AW laws might try to start trouble, but legally speaking you're in the clear. Breaking the gun open and top-loading might be less likely to trigger such an event, but it is awfully inconvenient. Plus, bullet buttons are probably widespread enough that it won't raise too many eyebrows when you drop the mag.

If you do choose to use the bullet button, it might be helpful to have a copy of the CA AW ID flowchart handy.

pacrimguru
11-04-2009, 4:40 PM
i haven't had a problem at any range that i've been to when i used the bullet button to eject the mag to reload. the only time i did get yelled at by an RO was when i scissored it open to do a top load! go ahead and drop that mag and load with confidence.

Super Spy
11-04-2009, 4:42 PM
Last few times I was at the range plenty of AR's to be seen. No one will pay any attention to you unless you do something unsafe or stupid. Rapid firing will get you yelled at for sure.

vega
11-04-2009, 4:53 PM
A Place to Shoot requires that you top load your OLL.
Piru Rifle Range doesn't care as long as you don't do something reckless.

gun toting monkeyboy
11-04-2009, 6:03 PM
If you are worried, call ahead. But OLLs with BBs are becoming so common that I don't even get a second glance most times. I top loaded my first time out a few times, but decided it was more effort than it was worth. Now I have no problem sitting there with half a dozen mags loaded on the table, ready to go. Heck, I haven't even seen anybody with an illegal set up with their BB in over a year. It seems like everybody at the ranges I go to is aware of all the ins and outs, and follows the rules.

-Mb

Nate74
11-04-2009, 6:05 PM
A Place to Shoot requires that you top load your OLL.

Strange... I thought all that sort of stuff was behind us now. Heck, even Turners has caught on to the OLL revolution!;)

Vinz
11-04-2009, 6:25 PM
As far as the law is concerned, you're free and clear to drop the mag using a bullet or other tool to actuate the bullet button. Someone who's not educated on the nuances of CA's AW laws might try to start trouble, but legally speaking you're in the clear. Breaking the gun open and top-loading might be less likely to trigger such an event, but it is awfully inconvenient. Plus, bullet buttons are probably widespread enough that it won't raise too many eyebrows when you drop the mag.

If you do choose to use the bullet button, it might be helpful to have a copy of the CA AW ID flowchart handy.
thats what I do now. I grab a bunch of the flow charts from the CG booth at gun shows and pass them out if anyone questions about my rifles.

vinz

SJgunguy24
11-04-2009, 6:28 PM
I use the flip top at the public ranges just so some know-it-all doesn't have and excuse to come up to me and tell me that I'm breaking the law.

Tell them to read the law.

PolishMike
11-04-2009, 6:43 PM
Every range I go to now a days is full of ARs. Everyone drops the mags.