PDA

View Full Version : How many guns have been confiscated after "AW"registration

stealthmode
08-02-2005, 3:07 AM
I was wondering if there is a way to find out if the rumors are true about people that had registered "assault weapons" and then later had them confiscated and under what circumstances. facts please.

bwiese
08-02-2005, 5:45 AM
Well, any gun(s) can be confiscated for a variety of conventional reasons (indictment, conviction, 5150 'danger to self & others', etc.) Some subset of these are probably reg'd AWs.

Also, it was possible for a reg'd AW to be perfectly legal in CA but which might violated the (now-expired) 1994 Fed 'Crime Bill' assault weapons ban. Some of these may have come up in Fed cases, but we won't count these either.

The only CA-reg'd AWs I know of causing problems were the specific SKSes involved in the DOJ SKS fiasco in early 1990s, and maybe some 'late registration' guns whose reg was voided because DOJ was sued by antigunners - DOJ did not have legal power to extend reg period. I don't recall exact details now, but these were the only problem areas.

If you had reg'd your AW at the original declared time (by 12/31/1990 for orig. Roberti-Roos guns, 90 days after any gun added to "the list", 12/31/2000 for generic SB23 AWs, or by 1/23/2001 for AR/AK weapons) you would not have had problems.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

artherdGROUPEESUCKS
09-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Some SKSs were confiscated.

Robinson M96s were confiscated.

Walther P22 was DOJ approved, but LATER declared to be an AW, with letters sent out giving a 45 day grace period for (mandatory) repairs before criminal charges would be filed. This came more from the Pistol DOJ database than AW though.

s281c
09-03-2005, 7:20 AM
Originally posted by artherdGROUPEESUCKS:
Robinson M96s were confiscated.

If I recall correctly the m96 confiscation was a mistake and the guns had to be returned. So I don't think that really counts.

fun2none
09-03-2005, 9:23 AM
It would be interesting to know how people have been prosecuted and convicted for unregistered assault weapons.

Is there a public database that can be searched for this information ?

bwiese
09-03-2005, 12:31 PM
The question was whether registered AWs in Calif were ever confiscated.

Robinson M96s were confiscated? I thought they were deemed compliant and this was resolved and owners got to keep them. These weren't registered since they were not believed to be 'by feature' AWs and are not named Roberti-Roos guns.

Please supply a pointer/link to any documentation of what you say.

The G22 issue again did not involve registered AWs but a gun that was certified for sale and the vendor changed it into noncompliant status - and owners bought them mistakenly even though they shoulda known the law.

The only registered AWs I know of that had big issues were some late-registration guns and SKSes.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

jmlivingston
09-03-2005, 2:20 PM
The M96's were confiscated from On-Target range/gunstore in Laguna Nigel, their FFL records were gone through, and at least some individual owners then had their rifles confiscated. This was back in Nov. '03, more info available at CRPA website (http://www.crpa.org/showpages.asp?pid=1109). There were several discussion threads here on Calguns as I recall, and I think we even had one or two of our members who actually had LEO's show up at the door demanding to take their rifles.

The M96 rifles were later returned when it was discovered that they were NOT assault weapons.

bwiese
09-03-2005, 2:39 PM
Originally posted by jmlivingston:
The M96 rifles were later returned when it was discovered that they were NOT assault weapons.

OK, yes, that's what I meant 'resolved'.

This was a local action by local folks not knowing the law's details. While I am no fan of Cal DOJ Firearms, Rossi & Riegert (head, asst head) are smart folks and they seem to resolve situation rapidly.

Bill Wiese
San Jose