PDA

View Full Version : Who gave you the bug?!

shakeyjake
11-04-2009, 3:32 PM
Every year on my grandfathers bday I get a little soft .He was a great guy and was the one who gave me the gun bug.We would always stop by Traders in San Leando and window shop after getting a haircut.When I was old enough he would take me to the Davis st range to shoot his marlin 22.He would always say that he could hit a man 3/4 a mile away with it.I can remember taking him to Traders when I was grown to buy his last gun a Berretta 85 380.
So all this to say,who bit you with the Gun Bug? A granddad,a brother,an uncle,ect?

Grandads are cool!!!:D

froman118
11-04-2009, 3:46 PM
LEO father-in-law. Took me shooting a few times while my wife and I were dating. He transferred his S&W 686 4" to me as a wedding present and it was all over after that. 6 guns in the past 2 years with a M1 Garand and M1 Carbine on the way from the CMP.

Recently, I was talking to my wife's WWII vet grandfather and he started talking and showing me stuff my wife had never seen or heard. When he heard I was getting a Carbine he perked up and said he wanted to go shoot it when it comes in. He's got a Tanker Garand, but hasn't shot a Carbine since the war.

redcliff
11-04-2009, 3:59 PM
My uncle Louie, a WWII vet. He, my cousins and I would go shooting every chance we got when I was back visiting, first time I was 10 I think; they lived back in upstate NY at the time. They even had a little shooting gallery in their basement with the little ducks that got knocked over when you hit them; we would shoot .22 cb's there through pump .22's.

Later in his life he moved to California and I gave him an extra M1 Garand I had; it brought back many memories for him and he loved taking it with him looking for coyotes and pigs. He passed on a number of years back now, but I have his Nazi marked tangent sight FN Hi-power.

I miss you Uncle Louie!

lasereye
11-04-2009, 4:01 PM
That would be ...my Mother!

My Father died when I was eleven and my Mother sold every firearm in the house the next week. I made it very clear that some, if not all, should be pasted to me....." not in my life time" she said.
I vowed then and there to own every gun that should had been mine. I still don't own a wheel gun but then my Dad never had an AK either!!!

Adrien
11-04-2009, 4:22 PM
My Grandfather. Most important man in my life!

Adrien

Walker
11-04-2009, 4:22 PM
For me it would be my mom as well.

She was against me even looking at guns till I was 18 and she couldn't do anything about it. Funny though, now her and I go shooting from time to time.

Vinz
11-04-2009, 4:46 PM
My dad,

I always remember hearing stories about his service M14 when he was in Vietnam 65-66....so I bought an M1A as soon as I could afford one. That was 1994. Still have it. Still love it.

vinz

Clayface
11-04-2009, 4:49 PM
Sadly nobody. My dad never owned a gun or uncles. I just woke up one day and went to the gun shop and said I am looking for a 1911 that with tactical rail and he suggested a kimber.

So I pretty much went in it alone.but been a gun nut ever since then.

Cokebottle
11-04-2009, 4:52 PM
Born into it, but never owned a gun from the time I moved out until a few years ago.
A lot of "bugs" have bitten in the last 15 years as I've discovered that I had the time and money to do things that I had always had an interest in... scuba diving, motorcycles (on and off road), RC airplanes, guns, etc....

Super Spy
11-04-2009, 5:00 PM
I think it's a family past time. Dad took me shooting at 8 when we were on vacation in the US (Dad worked in Saudi for years) Grandma carried a .38SPL revolver in her purse. Grandpa was big Safari enthusiast. When I was 10 we moved out of the sandbox and back to the Northwest. Every time we went to town I went to the sporting goods store and drooled all over the bows and guns and they never minded. Last season my sis bagged a buck that would make most of you turn green. Multiple guilty parties........

Res
11-04-2009, 8:01 PM
The person(s) that set fire to my door and threatened my family

Barabas
11-04-2009, 8:01 PM
George Romero. There were always a couple of rifles and shotguns in the house, but we rarely went out to shoot. When I finally saw a Romero marathon around Halloween one year, 1995 I think, I got serious.

Seesm
11-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Grandpa G!!

nagorb
11-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Movies

chickenfried
11-04-2009, 10:59 PM
high school friend

Shawn L
11-04-2009, 11:07 PM
The Marine Corps

slik556
11-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Good ol DAD.
He took me with him dove hunting when I was 7 yeas old. I didn't get to shoot but it did have me going, when I get old enough.. He got me my first gun, a remington 870 12 gauge shotgun when I was 11. I am now 48 and my father and I still go to the range, shoot trap and do some target shooting together. I thank him every day, for being my father and best friend a boy, son, man could ever want or have. Thanks again DAD

M47_Dragon
11-05-2009, 12:11 AM
A combo of three - my dad, for showing me how to shoot when I was a kid on camping trips - first BB and pellet rifles and then .22 wheel gun.

My mom, for buying me my first handgun when I was 18.

And the USMC for formal marksmanship training.

Then I didn't have guns for a long time.

After my dad died, I got back into shooting -- I think in some part because when I go to the wilderness and shoot, I feel like he is there with me...

SJgunguy24
11-05-2009, 12:26 AM
The bug.....Some damn Korean prostitute but boy did I have a good...........................................

Oh ummmm

I think I was kinda born with with an itchy trigger finger.
Learned to shoot at 7, bought my first gun at 18, first handgun at 21

norcal77
11-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Google..and George Bush..

After getting my $600 from the Bush tax cut I decided I wanted an AK, I typed something like how to get an AK in California into the search, found LanWorlds site then found Calguns...now I'm $4000 poorer..but 5 guns/rifles richer:D

Capt. Speirs
11-05-2009, 10:02 AM
My Dad, he often talked about the M16 in Vietnam, how terrible it was. He was there in 67'-68' and 69'70', he hated the M16, and he loved his M14, reliable, accurate, and damn heavy. His experiences with the M16 were minimal, since he declined it early on, but he did say it was pretty accurate, when it did work. He still chuckles when I bring out my AR, but he does have respect for the changes that were made for the better. I guess he just likes a caliber that can reach out and obliterate.

shakeyjake
11-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Wow this is great we have all been inspired in on way or another!Now let us not forget to pass it on ourselves.Except fo you SJgunguy24 they have meds for that LOL:D