PDA

View Full Version : No good deed....S&W and breast cancer awareness.

chickenfried
11-04-2009, 3:42 PM
Saw this on 1911forum.com. Firearm companies can't even support a good cause without getting flak :rolleyes
http://prwatch.org/node/8671
Smith & Wesson Breast Cancer Awareness Pistol

October was Breast Cancer Awareness month, and the group Breast Cancer Action seized on the opportunity to promote its Think Before you Pink campaign to raise awareness of how companies are increasingly exploiting breast cancer as a marketing device to sell products -- some of which are actually harmful to women's health. Pink ribbon campaigns are offering up some bizarre, albeit benign products like a breast cancer awareness toaster and a breast cancer awareness floating Beer Pong table. But the most bizarre item yet to have a pink ribbon slapped on it must be Smith & Wesson's Pink Breast Cancer Awareness 9 mm Pistol, promoted by a woman named Julie Goloski, Smith and Wesson's Consumer Program Manager and a sharpshooter herself. Goloski is promoting S&W's breast cancer awareness pistol on her Facebook page, saying "October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and Breast Cancer Awareness M&Pís are shipping to dealers. I am thrilled to have my name associated with such a worthy cause and one of my favorite firearms." According to a 2008 report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, firearms are the second most common cause of violent deaths of women, accounting for 29.2% of all violent deaths among females in the U.S. in 2008.

xxdabroxx
11-04-2009, 3:48 PM
wow, that's amazing. Darn them for bringing awareness to breast cancer.

Mayhem
11-04-2009, 5:43 PM
According to a 2008 report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, firearms are the second most common cause of violent deaths of women, accounting for 29.2% of all violent deaths among females in the U.S. in 2008.

Thats is actually not bad. firearms account for just over 50% overall with slightly higher rates for men and minorities. This coincides with the number of guns per household. which leads me to believe that by magically illuminating firearms you will reduce violent deaths rate by 5% mostly due to the minor discrepancy such as suicides and those that cannot project lethal force without fireamrs such as women defending them selfs against a much larger and stronger attacker but will cause the violent death rate among women sick and elderly to increase and the entire crime rate to go threw the roof. This incredibly low 29% may be in part due to a shift in more women taking up firearms for self defense, and More of their attackers using other lethals means to kill them like stabbing, strangulation and bludgeoning them to death. For everyone else firearms is the #1 cause of violent deaths. the question I would like to ask where do violent deaths rank in the over all cause of death for women? I can throw stats out there to for say children by saying "violent deaths" however among deaths the greatest non-natural dangers to children are Swimming pools and Automobiles. and several illnesses out rank these in the overall death rate.

So where does Murder by firearms rank in the overall Death rate for women and how does it compare to the general population men Minors and non-sex based minorities?

mmartin
11-04-2009, 8:20 PM
According to a 2008 report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, firearms are the second most common cause of violent deaths of women, accounting for 29.2% of all violent deaths among females in the U.S. in 2008.
so where's the stat on how many women's lives are SAVED by firearms every year?

I HATE THESE PEOPLE!
you know, the ones with the inflamitory but not comprehensive stats.
megan

xibunkrlilkidsx
11-05-2009, 8:15 AM
SAVE THE TA TAS!