PDA

View Full Version : Buying a handgun as a gift

zachary2287
11-04-2009, 2:53 PM
I have a friend who's looking to buy a handgun for her boyfriend as a Christmas present, but wants to keep it a surprise.

What is the best the to get this done.

Should she just buy it herself and then PPT it to him after he opens it on Christmas?

Cokebottle
11-04-2009, 3:04 PM
I have a friend who's looking to buy a handgun for her boyfriend as a Christmas present, but wants to keep it a surprise.

What is the best the to get this done.

Should she just buy it herself and then PPT it to him after he opens it on Christmas?
As a girlfriend, that is the only legal way to do it, but now you're looking at a total 20 day waiting period, plus a second DROS fee, and BOTH of them will need to have an HSC (so that's $50-$60 out of her pocket just to legally purchase it).
What does she get for that $50-$60? The satisfaction of seeing him actually open the box.

I would see if the gun shop will work a deal with her for store credit with a lock-in on the price, then give him the "gift certificate" for the total amount including tax and DROS/FFL fees.
If not, what I did for my wife one year was I printed up a "counterfeit" $300 bill with my picture in the middle, and a "This note is legal tender for one shopping spree"
It was one of those years that I just had no freaking clue what to get her.

Of course, then he'll only be getting an envelope under the tree, but it has the advantage of saving her over $50 in fees, plus if the particular model that she would pick out is not exactly what he wants, he can always drop a few more bucks in with her money and buy something else.

Either way, he's not going to have legal possession until January 6th, assuming they go to the gun shop on the 26th....

HowardW56
11-04-2009, 3:07 PM
A gift certificate, or other arangements with a FFL, is probably the best way to go...

Otherwise they have to do the PPT, so the gun will be DROS'd twice...

skip
11-04-2009, 3:12 PM
Someone on lock-and-load did this with a gift certificate from the store.

zachary2287
11-04-2009, 3:23 PM
Thanks for the quick advice.

Another related question. She doesn't have a HSC. If she were to give me the money to buy it, and then if I PPT it to him, would that be considered a straw purchase?

Cokebottle
11-04-2009, 3:39 PM
Thanks for the quick advice.

Another related question. She doesn't have a HSC. If she were to give me the money to buy it, and then if I PPT it to him, would that be considered a straw purchase?
I don't believe so, simply because the intent of the purchase is not to bypass any laws regarding the transfer. It's not like you are a LEO and she/he is using you to obtain a non-rostered handgun.

But the fact remains that you (or she) cannot leave the gun alone in his possession until he has his own HSC.

IrishPirate
11-04-2009, 3:43 PM
THE BEST THING TO DO TO AVOID THE EXTRA FEES is to put a down payment on it (leaving off a penny at most places will be the best way to go, then it's already paid for). then take a picture of her holding the gun and put the pic in a box/envelope/whatever with the deposit receipt. have him open it and then go fill out the DROS paperwork and only have to wait 10 days. make sure he can legally own one first!!! (ie. HSC and clean background)

Hanniballs
11-04-2009, 3:47 PM
Give the money to one of his parents, have them buy it, gift it to him on xmas, have him send the paperwork into doj.

Flopper
11-04-2009, 3:59 PM
It's not like you are a LEO and she/he is using you to obtain a non-rostered handgun.

That's not a straw purchase either, as long as it is DROS'd every time there is a change in ownership.

Cokebottle
11-04-2009, 4:07 PM
Give the money to one of his parents, have them buy it, gift it to him on xmas, have him send the paperwork into doj.
Excellent idea.
Only one 10 day waiting period and only 2 trips to the gun shop instead of 4.

Like he'll never go back to the gun shop again :D

Ross
11-04-2009, 4:32 PM
Have her take a picture of the gun in the store's show case and place a copy in a really, really big box - with lots of popcorn.

Then they head down to the store on the 26th to do the purchase and paperwork.

Or have his parents buy it and gift it to him.