PDA

View Full Version : Camo Aimpoint camo no more

Dirtbiker
11-04-2009, 1:15 PM
Midway had a sale on camo the Aimpoint 9000SC. I picked up one and sprayed it black. It is mounted in a set of Millet rings. Not bad for a total investment of $260. Sorry for bad cell phone pics. The best part is you can still read the Aimpoint model and serial numbers.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e196/harley15502002/ar-aimp.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e196/harley15502002/ar-amp2.jpg

DREADNOUGHT78
11-04-2009, 2:23 PM
Looks good!

djleisure
11-04-2009, 2:26 PM
Nice! I gotta motivate and spray paint mine too - did you have any particular process to that? Anything to consider other than, "Cover the glass and don't spray paint shut the dials and knobs."? Thanks again for the heads up on those - that was a smoking deal!

skkeeter
11-04-2009, 2:40 PM
Looks good Dirtbiker. I had some bad luck with mine. I painted mine right out of the box without checking it out first. There's a weird red tint shading on half of the glass when you look through the thing. It happens when it's turned on, and off. You guys think Midway will exchange it for me even though I rattle canned the sucker?

technique
11-04-2009, 2:42 PM
Looks good Dirtbiker. I had some bad luck with mine. I painted mine right out of the box without checking it out first. There's a weird red tint shading on half of the glass when you look through the thing. It happens when it's turned on, and off. You guys think Midway will exchange it for me even though I rattle canned the sucker?

Acetone on a rag...admit nothing!

Dirtbiker
11-04-2009, 2:46 PM
Krylon flat black outdoor paint. $5.00

I removed the rubber eyepiece ring and windage cap retainers. I then carefully masked the lenses. I sprayed light coats from multiple angles. D**n these things have a lot of angles. I cured the paint in a warm oven NOT HOT, maybe 120 degrees.

Take your time, you might need 4-5 coats so keep it light.

vega
11-04-2009, 2:46 PM
Nice job! Does it cowitness? What's the height of the ring, high or med?

Dirtbiker
11-04-2009, 2:47 PM
I had some bad luck with mine. I painted mine right out of the box without checking it out first. There's a weird red tint shading on half of the glass when you look through the thing.

Please go into more detail.

skkeeter
11-04-2009, 2:49 PM
Please go into more detail.

I'll try to get a pic up later on.

Dirtbiker
11-04-2009, 2:50 PM
Nice job! Does it cowitness? What's the height of the ring, high or med?

Rings are extra high (1" at base of scope) Lower 3rd cowitness. I'd never have bought one if they weren't on sale but I'm glad I did. It's built like a tank.

nsshkt
11-06-2009, 7:20 PM
Krylon flat black outdoor paint. $5.00

I removed the rubber eyepiece ring and windage cap retainers. I then carefully masked the lenses. I sprayed light coats from multiple angles. D**n these things have a lot of angles. I cured the paint in a warm oven NOT HOT, maybe 120 degrees.

Take your time, you might need 4-5 coats so keep it light.

I'm currious how long you left it in the oven between coats. I just got mine in the mail and was planing on painting mine black as well.

Intimid8tor
11-06-2009, 8:21 PM
I bought one and am going to let someone duracoat it for me. For $22 including shipping it is worth it to me.

Nicely done and a great deal.

nsshkt
11-07-2009, 12:36 PM
I bought one and am going to let someone duracoat it for me. For $22 including shipping it is worth it to me.

Nicely done and a great deal.

Where are you getting your duracoat done? Is there a link?

Intimid8tor
11-07-2009, 1:32 PM
It's a guy on this site. You ship it to him and for $15+7 shipping back he does it.

DO a search for duracoat. He has a thread.