PDA

View Full Version : Called De Leon's office and....

RedStripes
11-04-2009, 11:58 AM
was told his legislation was Constitutional because the right to bear arms applies only to the firearm and not the ammunition. I asked how you can be bearing arms with an unloaded weapon and couldn't get a straight answer. I call a couple different offices a few times a week and since reading about him here his office has provided much entertainment listening to the nonsensical justification from his secretary. The Governors office is entertaining as well, but sitting on hold forever sucks. Is this the best way or is there a better way to do this?

Swatguy10_15
11-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Well pertaining to the ammo bill theres not much a phone call can do..The bill doesnt prevent the procurement of ammunition nor quantity except by those who cant legally possess firearms anyways. Dont get me wrong this bill is still total garbage but all it does at present is create more paperwork..Im sure theres a a legal battle in the works...as there very well should be..

bwiese
11-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Ammunition is a key part of an operational, useable firearm.

The whole existence of the gun depends on the ammunition - otherwise it's a stylish paperweight.

Nevertheless, even though it won't teach De Leon much, continued "education" by phone traffic leading to staff time diversion may well make him think twice on future laws.

M1A Rifleman
11-04-2009, 12:11 PM
was told his legislation was Constitutional because the right to bear arms applies only to the firearm and not the ammunition. I asked how you can be bearing arms with an unloaded weapon and couldn't get a straight answer. I call a couple different offices a few times a week and since reading about him here his office has provided much entertainment listening to the nonsensical justification from his secretary. The Governors office is entertaining as well, but sitting on hold forever sucks. Is this the best way or is there a better way to do this?

The only thing worse than an idiot...... is someone that argues with one. ;)
There is no point, and it is a waste of good air discussing the errors of their thinking.

Dr Rockso
11-04-2009, 12:18 PM
You can have books, just not book stores or libraries.

kf6tac
11-04-2009, 12:19 PM
You can have abortions, just not the medical equipment needed to perform them.

Rivers
11-04-2009, 1:19 PM
You can have free speech, just without using any words. I don't think so.

jdberger
11-04-2009, 1:33 PM

Kudos for your initiative!

If you're looking for other ways to contribute to the effort, look here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=211631). We're always looking for dedicated volunteers.

Welcome to the fight, RedStripes!

Super Spy
11-04-2009, 2:12 PM
I think the Obama administration is doing there part to limit free speech already....

HondaMasterTech
11-04-2009, 2:16 PM

"You can have books, just not the ink to write in them."

ldivinag
11-04-2009, 2:42 PM
you can have the books... just no pages in them...

Mute
11-04-2009, 3:20 PM
Hmmm.....sorta like, you can have politicians but only honest people can apply.

jamesob
11-04-2009, 3:51 PM
you can own a car, but you cannot have any gas.

JBird33
11-04-2009, 4:52 PM
You can own a drill, but any and all bits are illegal.

USAFTS
11-04-2009, 5:02 PM
The only thing worse than arguing with an idiot...is arguing with the idiot's ignorant secretary. :-)

Seems to me, that intentionally making a necessary part of the firearm unnecessarily difficult to get as well as prohibitively expensive would fall within a reasonable definition of...well...I don't know.....INFRINGMENT?

USAFTS
11-04-2009, 5:04 PM
You can own a teleprompter....you just can't plug it in. <evil grin>

thatrogue
11-04-2009, 6:17 PM
ya that argument wont pass the test but the limit to which it is unattainable bordering infringement is the question... Felon+ammo=bad... and everyone including scotus would agree... lets just hope that whomever hears our complaint feels that ab962 is just to far out there and unnecessary.

bodger
11-04-2009, 6:43 PM
Rock and a hard place.

I was hoping that if it B962 actually goes into effect, it would be proven not to work at all. Then I started reading these fluffed up news stories about how successful the similar laws have been in Sacramento and Los Angeles.

Which makes me think that if DeLeon et. al. cannot show statistics that would lead people to believe that this law has been effective, they will use that to try to up the ante and add restrictions.

I wonder what's next to come down the pike to thwart our rights.

jamesob
11-04-2009, 7:20 PM
you can own condoms but can't wear them.

Hunt
11-04-2009, 7:26 PM
"You can have books, just not the ink to write in them."

this is about as bad as the UK and make no joke the statist want this kind of social control---I joined the Free State Project how about a conspiracy of our own
http://libertyconspiracy.com/

Mike d'Ocla
11-04-2009, 7:27 PM
RedStripes I think you did a wonderful thing. Political activists often refer to such acts as "speaking truth to power."

It takes clear thinking, skill and courage to face bureaucrats and electeds and tell them just exactly how stupidly they have acted. And to do it politely. And to report it here.

Keep up the good work. If only more people who want change could do as you have done. It's a rare thing.

Bruce
11-04-2009, 7:35 PM
After incorporation, can we file suit against De Leon and his ilk for conspiracy to violate our civil rights?

5ohguy
11-04-2009, 9:27 PM
DeLeon is a freaking naive idiot.

phamkl
11-04-2009, 10:42 PM
I don't think he's naive.

Dr. Peter Venkman
11-04-2009, 10:44 PM

lol

cineski
11-05-2009, 6:22 AM
Actually, you can have free speech, just not free thought.

greasemonkey
11-05-2009, 6:38 AM
Actually, you can have free speech, just not free thought.

It's not that you can't have free thought, you're free to think like I say you can or pay the penalty.

gef
11-05-2009, 9:46 AM
Your free to do as I say not as I do.

RedStripes
11-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Another thing that gets to me is I have not once ever spoken to an actual politician just an underling. Such an elitist attitude they have, never speaking to their constituents without a teleprompter or prepared speech. Phone calls will not stop, doing nothing feels worse.

KylaGWolf
11-05-2009, 12:14 PM
DeLeon is a moron. There are plenty of stats from when something similar was tried before and DROPPED for being a complete and total failure. What may get his attention though is if not only is his law killed but also if he (personally) is sued for his stupid waste of tax payers money. :D

aklon
11-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Ammunition is a key part of an operational, useable firearm.

The whole existence of the gun depends on the ammunition - otherwise it's a stylish paperweight.

I recall there was a case early in the history of the Republic wherein a newspaper was writing unflattering stories about politicians in New York. The politicians retaliated by organizing ink suppliers to boycott the paper. The case went to trtial and the courts found that ink is an integral part of a printing press and that to ban ink was a direct affront to freedom of speech.

It seems to me this same reasoning will apply to DeLeon's ammo registry.

beerup949
11-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Political Activist = Domestic Terrorist

Source - MINAC report.

stormy_clothing
11-05-2009, 3:30 PM
why can't people understand the concept of politics - losers don't get promoted winners do - when you have a proven track record of passed legislation even if it's ridiculous you get more power and more years as a professional thief.

Mike d'Ocla
11-05-2009, 3:33 PM
Political Activist = Domestic Terrorist

Source - MINAC report.

Come again?

ErikTheRed
11-05-2009, 7:19 PM
If DeLeon can be sued for this nonsense, then so could Schwarzeneggar for signing the bill. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems that if unconstitutional legislation is written and passed, then not only the author but also everyone that helped to pass it should be liable--- especially those who officially put their name on it. If we enforced this kind of accountability, then I'd guess there'd be alot less of this bullcrap coming out of government.