PDA

View Full Version : Glock 20 Longslide

rgkirkpatrick
11-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum; please forgive me if this isn't the right place to post this question.

I recently moved to CA. I brought with me a G20 with 10-rnd mags, and I registered it successfully. I bought the gun in NC, where I also bought an Oberland Arms .45 ACP extended slide designed for a G21 together with a .45 > 10MM Auto 6" conversion barrel. So if I swap over to my long slide conversion kit, I essentially end up with a G21 converted to 10 MM Auto. I've attached a photo of a similar setup -- this is not my receiver, but it is a photo of the slide that I bought from the fellow who sold it to me.

My question is, would it be legal for me to do this here in CA? Would I need to register it as a G21? What are the laws in CA around extended barrels, conversion barrels, and custom slides? I've kept it as a G20 with the standard slide and 4.6" factory barrel, simply because I've not been able to find out whether I can legally configure it in other ways.

Thanks very much,

Robert

B Strong
11-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum; please forgive me if this isn't the right place to post this question.

I recently moved to CA. I brought with me a G20 with 10-rnd mags, and I registered it successfully. I bought the gun in NC, where I also bought an Oberland Arms .45 ACP extended slide designed for a G21 together with a .45 > 10MM Auto 6" conversion barrel. So if I swap over to my long slide conversion kit, I essentially end up with a G21 converted to 10 MM Auto. I've attached a photo of a similar setup -- this is not my receiver, but it is a photo of the slide that I bought from the fellow who sold it to me.

My question is, would it be legal for me to do this here in CA? Would I need to register it as a G21? What are the laws in CA around extended barrels, conversion barrels, and custom slides? I've kept it as a G20 with the standard slide and 4.6" factory barrel, simply because I've not been able to find out whether I can legally configure it in other ways.

Thanks very much,

Robert

Wrong forum, but you don't have to register it, I'm running almost the same set-up:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1914/21longslide.jpg

rgkirkpatrick
11-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks, B! I'll certainly sleep a bit easier at night. It (just barely) fits in my nightstand. ;-)

bwiese
11-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Robert,

Congrats on a nice gun setup.

You only needed to register (as a "Personal Handgun Importer") your handguns when you moved into CA. You do not need to reregister on changes/tweaks.

In CA, you indeed are allowed to freely reconfigure your handgun into any other legal configuration - thus this includes caliber changes, barrel length changes, single to/from double action (for autoloader or revolver), rimfire to/from centerfire, single-shot to/from multishot, etc.

Specific no-nos include:
- DON'T install a threaded barrel (makes pistol a CA Assault Weapon);
- DON'T install a forward grip (makes gun an NFA AOW);
- DON'T install a smoothbore barrel; - must be rifled;
- DON'T install a fixed nondetachable hicap magazine (yes, highly unlikely);
- DON'T make it capable of shooting real shotgun shells (shotshells OK);
- DON'T mess with serial numbers

-

rgkirkpatrick
11-04-2009, 2:58 PM
Bill, I appreciate your detailed and comprehensive reply. Ok, looks like I'm in pretty good shape then. I was pretty concerned coming here from NC, where laws are a just a tad less restrictive. Now, though, it appears I can have better weather AND higher muzzle velocity. It's a good day. Thanks for this.