PDA

View Full Version : Carly Fiorina: Why I'm running for Senate

Fat_Rat
11-04-2009, 8:44 AM
Sooo if its her vs Boxer, who is better for RKBA. :confused:
Or is it just the same :p

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/work-people-california-2635660-every-government

Our most pressing problems today are too few jobs for Americans and too much spending in Washington.
By CARLY FIORINA
Candidate for U.S. Senate from California

Admittedly, I have not always been engaged in the electoral process, and I should have been. For many years I felt disconnected from the decisions made in Washington and, to be honest, really didn't think my vote mattered because I didn't have a direct line of sight from my vote to a result.

I realize that thinking was wrong. As I grew throughout my career, beginning as a secretary and eventually becoming a CEO, I saw how government impacted business. I learned more as a member of advisory boards at the State Department, the Pentagon and the CIA. I now understand, in a very real way, that the decisions made by the Senate impact every family and every business, of any size, in America.

This is what motivates me to run for the U.S. Senate. And so today I am announcing my candidacy to serve the people of California as your next U.S. senator

berg
11-04-2009, 8:46 AM
Who is better? Isn't pretty much anyone better than Boxer, or has she been mild on restricting gun rights?

Casual_Shooter
11-04-2009, 8:48 AM
"Why I'm running for Senate"

Uh... cuz your stint at HP didn't go so well and you need a job?

mauritz45
11-04-2009, 9:00 AM
Who is better? Isn't pretty much anyone better than Boxer

+1. is she a RINO like arnold? Kali has a LOT of problems in addition to unemployment and high taxes, as we all know.
it will be interesting to get her answers on record.
same question applies to meg whittman/jerry brown
cam

rp55
11-04-2009, 9:26 AM
I was reading in the paper that this is not going to be cakewak for her. She has to get past Chuck DeVore who is said to be leading in the polls and the favorite of Republican insiders. Not sure what a "Republican insider" is but that's what the paper said.

chuckdc
11-04-2009, 9:42 AM
I was reading in the paper that this is not going to be cakewak for her. She has to get past Chuck DeVore who is said to be leading in the polls and the favorite of Republican insiders. Not sure what a "Republican insider" is but that's what the paper said.

DeVore is a serious traditional conservative. Fiorina isn't. I don't know where Fiorina is on guns, but DeVore is big-time pro-2A.

Mike d'Ocla
11-04-2009, 9:45 AM
As unpopular as "democrats" may be here, this is their chairman's view of Fiorina:

“The last thing Californians need in a U.S. Senator is a failed CEO who was fired by her last employer after taking $100 million for herself.

“In these tough times, hard-working Californians need a Senator who will fight to create jobs, not a millionaire former executive who laid off more than 28,000 Americans and shipped jobs overseas.

“Carly Fiorina may have millions to spend on a Senatorial race, but Californians will not be snookered by yet another millionaire neophyte in search of a new hobby."

bigstick61
11-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Fiorina, as far as I can tell, is a Leftist Republican. Not the sort that could get my support, that's for sure. In light of that, I think it is far more likely than not that she is indifferent to the gun issue at best, outright hostile to gun rights at worst. She won't be getting my vote, that's for sure.

7x57
11-04-2009, 10:24 AM

That's backwards. "Insiders" generally means the party bureaucrats, the committee members, that crowd. They were in the tank for Carly long ago, originally I suspect they hoped she would self-finance and save them a bundle of money. They also tried to keep others out of the race--apparently Larry Elder was told he'd get no party backing if he ran because they wanted Carly.

*Larry Elder*. A black conservative from South-Central wanted to run and they discouraged him. Nothing like playing by the other guy's rules--if they ever heard of fighting disruptively, apparently they didn't want any of it. But I digress....

DeVore's backers are the grass-roots party members who are quite tired of being told to shut up and man the phones for RINOs. The same people that refused to back a Republican candidate who was more liberal than the Democrat in NY-23.

Understand that all this is part of what happens when a party loses. What follows is a struggle for the soul of the party, generally fought between those who believe that they must be more like the other guys to win and those who believe they lost because they compromised too much and must be true to their principles and visions if they want the electorate to trust them.

I guess now is when Bill jumps in and tells me that what works elsewhere won't work here.

7x57

Nevermore
11-04-2009, 1:09 PM
Oh good, so she can get a chance at ruining the entire economy, and not just HP's.

dantodd
11-04-2009, 1:16 PM
As unpopular as "democrats" may be here, this is their chairman's view of Fiorina:

“The last thing Californians need in a U.S. Senator is a failed CEO who was fired by her last employer after taking $100 million for herself.

“In these tough times, hard-working Californians need a Senator who will fight to create jobs, not a millionaire former executive who laid off more than 28,000 Americans and shipped jobs overseas.

“Carly Fiorina may have millions to spend on a Senatorial race, but Californians will not be snookered by yet another millionaire neophyte in search of a new hobby."

Sounds like all the same accusations could be lobbed at Barbara boxer. (excect the "had a real job once" part)

SuperSet
11-04-2009, 1:37 PM
Has she ever held elected office?

phish
11-04-2009, 1:47 PM

taking this statement at face value, I agree

she's an epic fail at giving speeches as well, I almost fell asleep when she gave the commencement speech at Stanford

Super Spy
11-04-2009, 2:09 PM
I had the displeasure of meeting her once. Not a nice person, which means she might do well in politics. My impression was she's the type that would do or say anything if it means she gets her way. She had no use for me and was a complete B.....

aileron
11-04-2009, 2:11 PM
I had the displeasure of meeting her once. Not a nice person, which means she might do well in politics. My impression was she's the type that would do or say anything if it means she gets her way. She had no use for me and was a complete B.....

Don't forget that she is really, really, really into herself. I Wonder what happen to that 40 million dollar jet she bought while at HP...

Tankhatch
11-04-2009, 2:18 PM
As I remember,,,,, She likes 'Big Brother" too,,,,, remember she,,, ummm,,, I mean her staff,,, liked to secretly tape executive conferences.

Steyr_223
11-04-2009, 3:00 PM
Interesting read on Carly..I may still vote for her if it's her and Boxer..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carly_Fiorina

xrMike
11-04-2009, 3:03 PM
She'll get few if any votes from HP employees, that's for sure. That ought to say say something about her executive abilities.

SuperSet
11-04-2009, 3:04 PM
Interesting read, although I'm not convinced that CEOs make great public servants.

dfletcher
11-04-2009, 4:33 PM

Coming from the party that sponsors Diane and Barbara this is quite a hoot.

Unless it's David Duke or a follower of that little Austrian fellow with the bad haircut & Groucho Mark moustache (I wonder, did anyone ever tell him "take off glasses, it makes you look like Groucho") I'm voting for whoverthehell runs against the junior Yenta from California.

Dwight K. Schrute
11-04-2009, 5:23 PM
Don't kno Fiorina's position, but you probably can't go wrong with DeVore... dont know if he can win the general election though.

high_revs
11-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Uh... cuz your stint at HP didn't go so well and you need a job?
technically she doesn't really need the money. the golden parachute she has was ridiculous for a non-performing CEO. Who wouldn't want a job where you fail miserably and get fired, they pay huge sums of money to walk out!?! Her hubby is also pretty well off.

It's all about her freaking ego. She failed at Lucent. She failed at HP. I mean really, she's just fails. I'm really surprised HP made her a CEO other than to break a freaking glass ceiling in the company. She wasn't doing well at Lucent anyway.

Yeah, I don't like her. She's all talk but no meat in the end. But she actually does well as a keynote speaker. She has a huge ego. I can tell you she's not about the people as reflected in her stint in HP as a CEO. She was purely about shareholders, which means her supporters, not us. And one Gulf stream wasn't enough for her.

oldrifle
11-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Carlyfiorina? Isn't that just the way Arnie pronounces "California"?

NSR500
11-04-2009, 10:24 PM
She'll get few if any votes from HP employees, that's for sure. That ought to say say something about her executive abilities.

Don't forget her stint at Lucent... :43:

Fat_Rat
11-05-2009, 7:07 AM
Also.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/05/MN1E1AF72G.DTL

Amid GOP optimism, Fiorina announces Senate run
Carla Marinucci, Chronicle Political Writer

Thursday, November 5, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Republicans celebrating this week's gubernatorial victories in Virginia and New Jersey hope for an anti-Obama political wave that could reach all the way to blue California, where GOP moderate Carly Fiorina entered the 2010 U.S. Senate race Wednesday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fiorina, a former Hewlett-Packard chief executive, announced her bid to challenge incumbent Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer at a green technology firm in Orange County, promising to pound on what she said was the California junior senator's record on issues at the top of the political agenda: jobs, the economy and the deficit.

"Our most pressing problems today are too few jobs for Americans and too much spending in Washington," said Fiorina, who winds up a three-day state announcement tour in Pleasanton on Friday. "As California's senator, economic recovery and fiscal accountability will be my priorities."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/05/MN1E1AF72G.DTL#ixzz0W0ASfIOn

dfletcher
11-05-2009, 7:55 AM
Her statement reads as a preemptive apology for having not voted for a long time, like Whitman - so I guess we should expect Boxer's office to make that point soon.