PDA

View Full Version : Shooting for fun on private land? (Butte county)

berg
11-04-2009, 9:19 AM
I will be getting access to some private property in Butte county. It's more than 100 acres of open land and is not surrounded by homes. I'm just wondering what is regulated on private land? If the owner has no problem with anything, I assume shooting safely (solid backstop, etc) is good to go?

I'm also wondering what I would do if I encounter mountain lions or wild boar. I'm told these animals (plus rattle snakes and coyotes) can be found from time to time in the area. If I have to shoot one to protect myself I would not be in trouble? I just want to make sure my bases are covered if I end up going out there for some extended recreation.

GrizzlyGuy
11-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Assuming the land is out in an unincorporated area, the only thing you'd have to worry about is Butte county ordinances. I skimmed through them and didn't see any prohibiting firearm discharge (other than across a lake or body of water):

http://library2.municode.com/11433/home.htm?infobase=16065&doc_action=whatsnew

If you had to shoot an animal to protect your life, it is unlikely that you'd be in any trouble, although you might be in technical violation of the hunting regulations. In the very unlikely event that you are attacked by a pig, don't go for a straight-on head shot. Quick story:

When I was a kid, I spotted a big boar uphill from me on the side of a canyon that had been logged many years before. The pigs had been wreaking havoc by rooting up the ground in our ranch, so I decided to drop him. All I had was my bolt-action 22.

He was looking at me, so I aimed between his eyes as I always did with deer. I shot, and the boar shook his head. Thinking I had missed, I shot again with the same aim point. This time he not only shook his head, but started down the hill at me. FAST.

I knew I couldn't outrun him, so I stood my ground and waited for another shot opportunity. He came to a log and had to do a 90 degree turn to maneuver around it. I shot again, aiming for his shoulders. This seemed to slow him a bit, but not much.

As he rounded the log and resumed coming straight at me, he had his head down, so I shot 3 more times while aiming just over his head (to hit him in his back). Finally he slowed, stopped, snorted and keeled over... about 20 feet from me. I hadn't peed my pants but this was definitely the scariest moment of my life. Took me a good two minutes to stop shaking.

I hiked home to tell dad what had happened. He chewed me out for taking on the pig with just my .22. When we drove back out to pick up the pig, he looked at his head to check my story. Sure enough, there were two vertical cuts up his forehead from my first two shots. That's when dad informed me about the "armor plate" that they have in their forehead region. Gee thanks dad, NOW you tell me about that... :D

Seesm
11-04-2009, 10:52 AM
I think you will be GTG up there... Call at the county with the parcel # to make sure? They are pretty gun friendly up there. And Grizzly... neat story about that pig. Lucky you are ok after that.

joemama
11-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Ya thats crazy I never thought you could kill one with a .22, your really lucky.

Nose Nuggets
11-04-2009, 3:45 PM
even 5.56 is nearly worthless against a bear/boar skull.

/threadjack

WhoDares
11-04-2009, 7:37 PM
Need any help with clearing the land 'n such?:) I live in Chico and have been wondering where all the Calgunners are up here with land to shoot on. I have a co-worker with about 20 acres in unincorp. Magalia, but his lot is almost all steep downhills. If I could afford it, there's 40 acres for sale in unincorp. lower Paradise. No improvements, but then I would not be buying it to live on...yet. $199K.

"Assuming the land is out in an unincorporated area, the only thing you'd have to worry about is Butte county ordinances. I skimmed through them and didn't see any prohibiting firearm discharge (other than across a lake or body of water)"

+1 on GrizGuy's comment...I looked that one up a while back just for my own edification...

jimh
11-04-2009, 10:09 PM
even 5.56 is nearly worthless against a bear/boar skull.

/threadjack

not with a 30 rounder lol

Nose Nuggets
11-05-2009, 10:32 AM
not with a 30 rounder lol

you might be surprised.