PDA

View Full Version : RPK 74 Build

JPurp
11-03-2009, 11:17 PM
I have a line on a parts kit. I am wondering if anyone can point me to a receiver or flat that can be used with this?

From what I can tell the RPK receivers are closer to Yugo but there are some differences.

If I did come by an RPK flat (assuming one even exists) is there any type of modification to the AK-Builder jig to allow that flat to be folded?

69Mach1
11-03-2009, 11:18 PM
I have a line on a parts kit. I am wondering if anyone can point me to a receiver or flat that can be used with this?

From what I can tell the RPK receivers are closer to Yugo but there are some differences.

If I did come by an RPK flat (assuming one even exists) is there any type of modification to the AK-Builder jig to allow that flat to be folded?

Oh yeah. With the trunnion bulge, the flat bending jig has to be specific for it. Nodak used to make an RPK 74 receiver and some are still out there.

Q
11-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Nodak is not going to make the NDS-8 again because it took several years to sell them all. People weren't buying the kits..

You could try a coldsteelsolutions blank. I think a member here built a PSL off one of their blanks.

JPurp
11-04-2009, 6:55 AM
Thanks guys for the info. I was able to find some NDS-8 receivers at Ohio Rapid Fire. They are about double the price of a standard NDS receiver but to have an RPK in 5.45 it is worth it.

I will check out the blank as well.

Q
11-04-2009, 8:16 AM
I read some of the receivers available now were receivers made for vector and had the vector info scrubbed when they stopped making them. Info is on the left side. I'm not sure if a scope rail cover will cover it or not or where the new markings are..

Another option would be a Vepr 545 and have it rebarreled with an RPK74 front end from KVAR and the cut receiver end repaired..

Here's an example..
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n32/qbertquartz2/pix789541671.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n32/qbertquartz2/pix789540187.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n32/qbertquartz2/pix435505203.jpg

69Mach1
11-04-2009, 8:22 AM
Thanks guys for the info. I was able to find some NDS-8 receivers at Ohio Rapid Fire. They are about double the price of a standard NDS receiver but to have an RPK in 5.45 it is worth it.

I will check out the blank as well.

Congratulations on finding one. Man I'd love to build one, but the prices for parts kits is insane, still! Maybe I should pick up a receiver just in case.

JPurp
11-04-2009, 8:58 AM
I am on a 5.45 kick. I have a fixed stock Bulgy 74 that I want to de-mill and rebuild as an AK-74M complete with sight rail and solid folder. I am eying a Krink kit and the RPK 74 kit.

PS I bought the complete AK-Builder jig/tool set :devil:

Time to get kits while I can and get building

69Mach1
11-04-2009, 9:04 AM
I am on a 5.45 kick. I have a fixed stock Bulgy 74 that I want to de-mill and rebuild as an AK-74M complete with sight rail and solid folder. I am eying a Krink kit and the RPK 74 kit.

PS I bought the complete AK-Builder jig/tool set :devil:

Time to get kits while I can and get building

If you need my 20 ton press, come on up.

JPurp
11-04-2009, 9:19 AM
If you need my 20 ton press, come on up.

LOL I bought the 12 ton yesterday. I think all I need is moly grease for folding flats and anti-seize grease for pressing the barrel.

69Mach1
04-30-2010, 8:08 AM
Looks like Harlan is possibly doing another run of NDS-8 receivers. I just got this email from Nodak.

Let us know if you are ready to send in payment for one or more RPK74(caliber 5.45x39) receivers. This is our receiver model NDS-8. Based on theresponse we get, we will decide whether to make a production run of RPK74receivers, and how many to make.

Here is a list of features for the RPK74 receiver:
* Made of 0.062” (1.5748mm) 4130 steel
* Fully heat treated*
Dedicated RPK74 lower rails spot welded in place, lower sections ofthe lower rails act as guides for the inserted magazine; no mag welldimples
* Mid support rivet installed* Sent out ‘in the white’* No predrilled rivet holes for the front trunion or rear block
* No right side selector markings* No right side selector detents
* Authentic emboss on the receiver bottom* One slot in the receiver bottom for a single hook trigger* Manufacturer, model, caliber and serial number markings on thereceiver bottom, ahead of the mag well opening. There will be no option for a custom serial number marking. All RPK74receivers will be marked with sequential serial numbers. There will be nooption for custom selector markings. The price per RPK74 receiver will be $150.00, which includes the cost ofground shipping to the dealer (USPS Priority Mail to AK and HI). Discountsmay be available for a purchase of 20 or more receivers. Exact discountpricing will be determined later. We are not asking for payments to be sent to us now. We are asking that youemail us with your intention to buy and your readiness to send in payment.The reason for this message is not to build a list of possible interestedpersons in the RPK74 receiver. We only want you to send us an email if youare a committed buyer and are ready to send in payment. Your email messageshould include how many RPK74 receivers you intend to buy. We will compile the committed buyer list until about the middle of May. Atthat point in time, we will decide if there are enough committed buyers todo a production run of the RPK74 receivers. If we decide to do theproduction run, we will send an invoice to all on the committed buyer list.Those who get the invoice will have two weeks from the date on the invoiceto send in payment. Based on the number of payments we get for the RPK74receivers, we will make the appropriate quantity of receivers. We expectreceivers will be ready to ship about August 1st. We will take a money order, cashiers check, or dealer’s business check forpayment. There must be no expiration date on the type of money order orcashiers check sent for payment. If the number of payments we receive by about the end of May is not enoughfor a minimum production run, we will return all payments to those who sentthem in. We are looking at a quantity of 100 receivers to be the minimumproduction run. Send your email of intention and readiness to buy to info@nodakspud.com orcall us at 952-942-1909. In your email include your full name and thequantity you are ready to buy. Thanks. NoDak Spud LLC www.nodakspud.com

thedrickel
04-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping to get one of those, I picked up a beautiful bulgy kit for . . . . $800 . . . . :(

I'm going to be hoping for a while . . . Harlan estimates they'll be ready in August!

Vepr62
04-30-2010, 4:12 PM
This guy gr1553 on the AK forum will be building some custom receivers with all the immaginable upgrades. NDS just would be plain Jain. If the site below needs registration it is worth it, only if you just want to check a few real AK pics in "Russian" section.
http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=126219

V.

WeekendWarrior
04-30-2010, 4:23 PM
Hahaha, sweet, an RPK 74 would be a lot of fun to shoot. Make sure to post some pics when you get that bad boy assembled...