PDA

View Full Version : AR upper question

Rob Roy
11-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Is BCM upper considered to be the most reliable one? If not which one would you recommend? Intended use is range/SHTF.

technique
11-03-2009, 11:13 PM
BCM is a great upper and pretty inexpensive too. Don't hesitate. Be sure to get their BCG too, don't go getting a cheap one after you get a good upper.

jsmith8918
11-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Is BCM upper considered to be the most reliable one? If not which one would you recommend? Intended use is range/SHTF.

SunDevil makes a real beefy upper that makes me feel like it will last well into the next ban. Might be worth a look. I like mine.

7.62x54R
11-03-2009, 11:43 PM
they are all good and will do what you need. I prefer Sabre Defense. check out the Armalite deal 400$ cant be beat.

Crusader
11-04-2009, 12:35 AM
My favorite has always been CMMG. BCM would probably be my 2nd choice if I were to build another AR.

a1fabweld
11-04-2009, 7:50 AM
Colt, LMT, CMMG, BCM, Noveske, Sabre, Armalite. All good for SHTF. Whichever you get, put a few thousand rounds downrange to verify it's reliability.

Rob Roy
11-04-2009, 10:10 AM
What about Spikes? How good are their uppers?

technique
11-04-2009, 10:11 AM
stick with the BCM

WeekendWarrior
11-04-2009, 10:33 AM
WWRTW

mydogsmonkey
11-04-2009, 10:35 AM
stick with BCM, you'll get that from the dealer i go to too. BCM makes good stuff and their QC is top notch

technique
11-04-2009, 10:42 AM
If your really wanting the HF barrel, go with Daniel Defense instead of Spikes.

Josh3239
11-04-2009, 1:01 PM
Paul doesn't sell junk, he makes sure that whatever he puts up for sale is made properly and to the right specs. Colt obviously makes great stuff, but BCM gets the edge with their lifetime warranty.

What about Spikes? How good are their uppers?

I'd put them at the top of Tier 2. IMHO their barrels dock them points.

My favorite has always been CMMG. BCM would probably be my 2nd choice if I were to build another AR.

Colt, LMT, CMMG, BCM, Noveske, Sabre, Armalite. All good for SHTF. Whichever you get, put a few thousand rounds downrange to verify it's reliability.

CMMG doesn't belong in the same category as Colt, BCM or Noveske. Not even close. I get it, they make great rifles and have thousands of satisfied customers, but they just don't belong there. The way they cut corners is just laziness. Your rifle isn't going to blow up just because the feedramps are dremeled or because your carrier isn't staked real well, but I personally wouldn't want a gas leak or soft metal in an important part of my rifle exposed.

Jicko
11-04-2009, 1:18 PM

Colt.

-hanko
11-04-2009, 4:17 PM
Colt.
This.

-hanko

HK Dave
11-04-2009, 4:18 PM
Can't go wrong with BCM. Check out Daniel Defense or LMT as well.

Rob Roy
11-04-2009, 10:46 PM
This.

-hanko
Who sells Colt uppers & parts?

yock
11-04-2009, 11:02 PM
I bought a Danial Defense HFB upper and shot a few houndred thru it with no problems. Paid too much during the price hike but I am happy.

bombadillo
11-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Just got a BCM with 500-600 rounds or so down the pipe and it looks and seems great. Built like a tank, and hopefully will last another 9 or 10k rounds. The only thing I may grab is a BCM BCG or maybe the LMT bolt setup. Other than that I really like what I have through that company. Nice stuff at a great price and VERY high quality parts.

technique
11-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Who sells Colt uppers & parts?

Colt.

They sell 6940 & 6920 uppers.

Greg-Dawg
11-04-2009, 11:20 PM
I have a BCM 16" M4 chrome lined HF 1/7 twist and works!!! The finish matches my RRA lower. You can't go wrong with BCM.

SLYoteBoy
11-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Purchased BCM , cant be happier.

a1fabweld
11-05-2009, 9:11 PM
Paul doesn't sell junk, he makes sure that whatever he puts up for sale is made properly and to the right specs. Colt obviously makes great stuff, but BCM gets the edge with their lifetime warranty.

I'd put them at the top of Tier 2. IMHO their barrels dock them points.

CMMG doesn't belong in the same category as Colt, BCM or Noveske. Not even close. I get it, they make great rifles and have thousands of satisfied customers, but they just don't belong there. The way they cut corners is just laziness. Your rifle isn't going to blow up just because the feedramps are dremeled or because your carrier isn't staked real well, but I personally wouldn't want a gas leak or soft metal in an important part of my rifle exposed.
Funny thing is, I shoot my Noveske & CMMG the most of all the brands I own. The Noveske has had 2 FTE, while the CMMG has been 100%. Brand rating aside, CMMG stuff performs. I personally would trust my CMMG as much as the elite list brands.

technique
11-05-2009, 9:15 PM
Funny thing is, I shoot my Noveske & CMMG the most of all the brands I own. The Noveske has had 2 FTE, while the CMMG has been 100%. Brand rating aside, CMMG stuff performs. I personally would trust my CMMG as much as the elite list brands.

May I ask what Noveske model?

vinny_land
11-05-2009, 10:51 PM
BCM...cuz I run one!

a1fabweld
11-05-2009, 11:05 PM
May I ask what Noveske model?

16" middy.

Josh3239
11-06-2009, 12:16 AM

Perhaps, but that hardly says much. If it is brand new a good break in could be it. If it is used it could be a worn extractor. Maybe it was a bad batch of extractors or extractor springs. Could the ammo have been very underpowered? Were you doing a shooting a large volume of ammo with no lubricant? Were you using Wolf, which is more likely to stick in chambers and is notorious for being rather harsh on the extractor assembly? One of the few things Noveske should do is issue the black spring insert in the extractor, perhaps you should upgrade to the black insert.

Is your Noveske always going to outperform your CMMG because its bolt is MPI'd? Maybe, maybe not. Is your Noveske going to have less malfunctions because its barrel is made out of the correct steel and properly tested? Maybe, maybe not. It isn't as much which is better, it is which is made properly. One thing for sure is there are no countries climbing over eachother trying to throw their money at CMMG, DPMS, Olympic, etc. There is a reason why Colt sells their rifles to over 50 countries.

As Pat has said many times regarding his courses, non-MPI'd bolts rarely last. He usually says that before he pulls out his collection of broken bolts.

Jicko
11-06-2009, 12:29 AM
I like my Noveske, my LMT, and my full custom Mk12 Mod1...... but if SHTF and i can grab one and only one..... it will be my Colt 6920 (period).... [and in my go-bag, i will have a spare Colt bolt, and bolt carrier]

a1fabweld
11-06-2009, 7:28 AM
Perhaps, but that hardly says much. If it is brand new a good break in could be it. If it is used it could be a worn extractor. Maybe it was a bad batch of extractors or extractor springs. Could the ammo have been very underpowered? Were you doing a shooting a large volume of ammo with no lubricant? Were you using Wolf, which is more likely to stick in chambers and is notorious for being rather harsh on the extractor assembly? One of the few things Noveske should do is issue the black spring insert in the extractor, perhaps you should upgrade to the black insert.

Is your Noveske always going to outperform your CMMG because its bolt is MPI'd? Maybe, maybe not. Is your Noveske going to have less malfunctions because its barrel is made out of the correct steel and properly tested? Maybe, maybe not. It isn't as much which is better, it is which is made properly. One thing for sure is there are no countries climbing over eachother trying to throw their money at CMMG, DPMS, Olympic, etc. There is a reason why Colt sells their rifles to over 50 countries.

As Pat has said many times regarding his courses, non-MPI'd bolts rarely last. He usually says that before he pulls out his collection of broken bolts.

Both rifles get treated equally. I run the same ammo in them all & clean them the same way. CMMG is good quality IMO. Their med-con barrel profile is something that I think all the big brand names should offer. The only thing I have changed about my CMMG upper is the installation of a BCM bolt head. I keep the original for a spare. As far as the issue of barrel steel, they claim to use 4150CMV as the others. I'll bet that even though CMMG barrels are not HP tested before MP inspected, it'll perform well in the long run given the fact that neither yours or mine AR's are likely to see sustained full auto fire. I'm confident that I'll never balloon the barrel, pop a leak, or whatever could possibly go wrong with my CMMG barrel in my lifetime. It all comes down to the confidence level the person has in their equipment. I'm not knocking any brands, I think sometimes too much emphasis is placed on X,Y,Z brands. There are alternatives. But BCM does have some good deals going right now.