PDA

View Full Version : Can I change pre-ban mag parts

XDRoX
11-03-2009, 7:49 PM
I have some pre-ban 25 round butler creek mags (10/22) that I bought back in the good ol' days. I would like to change the plastic lips to metal ones.

Is it legal to do?

And if so does anyone know where I can find the parts?

Thanks

MudCamper
11-03-2009, 8:00 PM
Perfectly legal.

See http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf

XDRoX
11-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the info. Is there any good online sources to purchase parts?
Thanks

Glock22Fan
11-04-2009, 12:10 PM
snip

And if so does anyone know where I can find the parts?

Thanks

If you can't find the parts you want and you have any friends outside this state, get them to buy new magazines, take them to pieces and send them to you in pieces (or do it yourself next time you go out of state).

Take your old magazines to pieces and place in a bag. Rebuild them using up to 100% new parts. Remember the tale of the axe, it's been in the family for two hundred years, during which time it has had three new heads and five new handles. Do not rebuild more magazines than you had in the first place.

Not strictly necessary, but just to make sure that you can prove that you have done nothing illegal, put the bag of old parts into storage.

This is all completely legal as long as you at no point of time possess more rebuilt magazines than you originally had pre-ban.

Good luck.

Steve O
11-04-2009, 4:09 PM
44mag.com!

Ding126
11-04-2009, 4:14 PM
never knew 10/22 after market mags could be rebuilt. How does one take them apart?

sierratangofoxtrotunion
11-04-2009, 4:29 PM
never knew 10/22 after market mags could be rebuilt. How does one take them apart?

Yeah, aren't those Butler Creek mags the ones with two plastic halves of the bodies glued together? How would you go about disassembling it to replace the lips?

OR, OP are you talking about exchanging complete plastic lips mags for complete steel lips mags? Never thought about that but I'm pretty sure you can't do that.

dantodd
11-04-2009, 4:32 PM
As long as they fit the same firearm you are good to go. It may be better to change over to disassemblable metal bodies so that you can insert the spring from the old magazine just to keep to the letter of the law.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
11-04-2009, 4:37 PM
As long as they fit the same firearm you are good to go. It may be better to change over to disassemblable metal bodies so that you can insert the spring from the old magazine just to keep to the letter of the law.

I'm not aware of any metal mag bodies that would be compatible with the Butler Creek mags...

Eh, I say be really bloody careful cutting the plastic mag body in half, along the seam.

Honestly, this would be a big PITA. Anybody want to chime in if they think the OP could exchange whole mags?

Cokebottle
11-04-2009, 4:37 PM
This is all completely legal as long as you at no point of time possess more rebuilt magazines than you originally had pre-ban.

Would the same apply if one were to purchase some standard-capacity mags for their handgun in Nevada for use while shooting in Nevada and other free states, but then break the mags down prior to bringing them home to California?

IOTW: Would "constructive possession" apply to magazine parts if the parts were possessed by a person who owned no pre-ban mags, but the parts were never assembled in California?

I'd love to have some standard-cap mags for when I visit friends out of state, but I don't want to hassle with leaving them outside of California, and possibly having to ask my friend in Vegas to ship to my parents in Texas, and have them ship to my friend in Montana, etc....
In the case of my Springfield XD, it was not imported as the XD prior to the ban, so there are no pre-ban mags for it anywhere on the planet (unless the old HS2000 mags will still fit).

MudCamper
11-04-2009, 4:57 PM
Read the link I posted. It is unclear about replacing all the parts, but tries to discourage it. Safest course is to keep at least 1 part.

And there is no problem with possessing as many parts as you like. Again read the link I posted.

Cokebottle
11-04-2009, 5:36 PM
Read the link I posted. It is unclear about replacing all the parts, but tries to discourage it. Safest course is to keep at least 1 part.

And there is no problem with possessing as many parts as you like. Again read the link I posted.
Ya, I looked over that after I posted, and it certainly seems that they do try to discourage it, but it does seem that "intent" is a key factor.
The letter focuses primarily on rebuilding, but it's a little fuzzy on possession with intent to assemble only when out of state.
And of course, when "intent" becomes a factor, someone with no evil intent could still find themselves in Theseus's position (but on a felony charge).

Q&A #4 is the one that makes me believe that it would be a violation of 12020(a)(2). It says it's borderline okay if they are to be used as rebuild parts, but goes on to say that it tests the limits of the law.
IOTW: It's up to any one of the 58 DAs.

bohoki
11-04-2009, 5:42 PM
the tactical innovations aluminum and polymer magazines are compatable with hot lip and steel lip parts

and are disassembleable

they are often available at the reno gunshow for $35

dissassemble bring the parts back break yous sonicly welded bodies apart use the spring and follower if it makes you feel good and assemble one magazine back together with your parts