PDA

View Full Version : Posting from my new Droid

FreedomIsNotFree
11-03-2009, 5:42 PM
This device is absolutely amazing. I need to dig deeper in to the new OS but so far I'm impressed with Android 2.0.

You owe it to yourself to check it out. The free Google navigation apparently is incredible.

stphnman20
11-03-2009, 5:43 PM
Iphone FTW!!!

FreedomIsNotFree
11-03-2009, 5:54 PM
Yeah. I actually like to use the 3G network and mantain my voice calls. Fanboy much?

wilit
11-03-2009, 9:32 PM
I'm bummed I just spent $300 on an HTC Touch Pro earlier this year. I've heard the Droid is full of WIN.

And yes, the iPhone sucks for everything except for downloading useless apps.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
11-04-2009, 8:42 PM
I was looking at upgrading my Verizon phone... but I think I'll wait for a bit now. The Droid looks pretty tempting, but I'm way over being an early adopter.

sfwdiy
11-05-2009, 11:17 AM
This device is absolutely amazing. I need to dig deeper in to the new OS but so far I'm impressed with Android 2.0.

You owe it to yourself to check it out. The free Google navigation apparently is incredible.

I thought the Droid came out tomorrow. How'd you pull that off? More details, pics? This is relevant to my interests. How well does it sync with your computer? PC or Mac?

--B

viras
11-05-2009, 1:45 PM
I'm bummed I just spent $300 on an HTC Touch Pro earlier this year. I've heard the Droid is full of WIN.

I hate my HTC Touch Pro - the Touch-Flo is too slow and it freezes up a lot. I'm looking to upgrade to the Touch Pro 2, or bite the bullet and get a DROID.

Vin496
11-05-2009, 3:41 PM
I dig that phone, I've been checking it out(online), the only big complaint I've heard about it is the camera, hearing that for lack of a better word it sucks.

Vin496
11-05-2009, 3:46 PM

So not true. I have an iphone and it rocks. I'm not a fanboy and if something better comes along I'll switch, but for a personal portable media/email/messaging/internet and cellphone it's still top dog. Is it perfect, of course not, but after the last few updates, it has everything 95% of users will ever use. All these other phones keep trying to be the iphone, and the integration(apps/multitouch) it brought to the cellphone.

JaMail
11-05-2009, 4:16 PM
for watching video / tivo / reading books, the iphone is great, i love the bookshelf app, since i read alot on the train to work.

sfwdiy
11-05-2009, 4:48 PM
So not true. I have an iphone and it rocks. I'm not a fanboy and if something better comes along I'll switch, but for a personal portable media/email/messaging/internet and cellphone it's still top dog. Is it perfect, of course not, but after the last few updates, it has everything 95% of users will ever use. All these other phones keep trying to be the iphone, and the integration(apps/multitouch) it brought to the cellphone.

The iPhone, as of right now, is the greatest portable network communication device to be released yet. Email/web browsing is excellent. The problem is with the phone end of it. As a phone, it really kinda blows. Reception is awful, it drops calls like they're hot bricks, call quality is usually piss-poor, and it's kind of a pain in the *** to dial numbers on the touch screen. Part of the call-suck is AT$T's fault, but a large portion of it is definitely the phone itself. I have other GSM phones that work great on AT$T's network in places where my iPhone just sits there and plays with itself. I recently drove cross-country, and am about to do so again, and the iPhone couldn't find it's *** with both hands once we were outside any major metropolitan area.

That, and the fact that Apple 86'd the Google Voice application for the iPhone put it over the top for me. I want out. I want a kick-*** Android phone, preferably on Verizon. With Tethering. And turn-by-turn directions. And a pony.

--B

psssniper
11-06-2009, 4:14 PM
Serendipitously my Gzone died yesterday, My friends all have iphones but I have resisted the dark side. Now have a Droid and so far it rocks.

Doheny
11-06-2009, 4:24 PM
Found this:

r9YGvLHvUxQ

FreedomIsNotFree
11-08-2009, 12:24 AM
The iPhone is an awesome device, no doubt. The Droid absolutely gives it a run for its money. The Droid is running an Android OS that is open source and will get better and better as more devs/programmers work with it, which is NOT something that's possible with an iPhone. No "jail breaking" needed, just simple OTA updates.

3 of the 4 top wireless providers now run an Android OS phone on their networks...everyone but AT&T. The customer base is growing exponentially and the only thing holding the Droid back is hardware...which it has in spades...at least for the next year.

FreedomIsNotFree
11-08-2009, 12:29 AM
I want a kick-*** Android phone, preferably on Verizon. With Tethering. And turn-by-turn directions. And a pony.

--B

The Droid is all of that, other than the tethering. It's right around the corner, along with Flash 10, but not there just yet.

PonchoTA
11-08-2009, 10:41 AM

Damn!! I'm jealous! Mine comes in tomorrow! :rofl: Can't wait to start working with this!

Iphone FTW!!!
NOT!! I refuse to give Steve Jobs any of my $$, and why would I want to give up superior connectivity and service for the sake of a mediocre device?? :confused:

Found this:

r9YGvLHvUxQ

Thanks!! Fantastic head to head, and I'm REALLY looking forward to getting another great device, that will be even better than the fantastic B'berry (World) I have now!

:cheers2:
Cheers,
Paul

locosway
11-08-2009, 6:18 PM

I'm still on the G1, Android is awesome!

Bug Splat
11-08-2009, 6:40 PM
DAMN! I just got my Omnia the way I want it too :(.

I have just about stripped/hidden everything Windows Mobile off my phone and installed all the programs I could want.

SPB Mobile Shell 3.5
Garmin GPS
Idialer/icontact for Google Vioce
Google Maps
SMS-Chat/Funcontact
WM Wifi (turns my phone into an Access Point for laptops to tether off of)
Lightsaber :D
games
Reg editor

I don't want to start over again.

I went to Verizon today to play with the Droid and was just blown away at the speed. App wise, there was really nothing the Droid does that my Omnia cant but man-o-man was the Droid fast and that screen is just amazing. I found the physical keyboard very nice and easy to use. I love my Omnia but I think I may have to upgrade when my contract is up.

Biff...
11-08-2009, 6:56 PM
I'm a long time Iphone user. But have to admit I've been secretly eyeing the droid and considering a switch over to Verizon.

PonchoTA
11-08-2009, 7:48 PM
I'm a long time Iphone user. But have to admit I've been secretly eyeing the droid and considering a switch over to Verizon.
Do it! The service and coverage provided by Verizon beats the $h1t out of any other cellular service in the industry! :yes:

Well worth it IMO! :D

JDay
11-09-2009, 1:06 AM
The Droid is all of that, other than the tethering. It's right around the corner, along with Flash 10, but not there just yet.

Several tethering apps exist for Android phones.

PonchoTA
11-09-2009, 4:54 AM
How's the stock browser? User friendly? I like using the Opera Mobile on the crackberry because it is easier to use than the B'berry browser.

Just wondering if I'll need to upgrade that right away or not!

scootergmc
11-09-2009, 2:56 PM
How's the browser? Awesome. The keyboard layout leaves a little to be desired.

Posted from droid…

Super Spy
11-09-2009, 3:03 PM
I love G-1! Android Rocks! The camera is lacking, but I have yet to see a phone camera that was really useful, if there is any movement or things aren't well lit, forget it.

jarhead995
11-09-2009, 3:14 PM
luckyy im getting a droid when my contract ends november 20th

stormy_clothing
11-09-2009, 3:14 PM
DROID > IPHONE I have both right now and watching near streaming HD video in BFE was a plus as was listening to turn by turn direction WHILE the music player was on riding my motorcycle this weekend and the camera which in quality is far better too was working most of this weekend with a few hiccups here and there, there is some polish to the Iphone OS that is nice but the droid overall is so good.

Especially if you are trying to read on it, the messaging is cool too ahahahaha everything > ipwned

Verizon > A pee pee too - I have been more than happy to eat a 115 dollar early termination

Loner
11-09-2009, 8:44 PM
Hold on,Telus is going to get the Droid next year (http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/11/09/telus-bringing-motorola-milestone-to-canada-in-early-2010/), which means you can use this with AT&T services.

Cyc Wid It
11-09-2009, 9:18 PM
Google maps and turn by turn is much better too on the Droid... and I think the point is to get away from crappy ATT coverage/reception.

PonchoTA
11-09-2009, 9:18 PM
Man, this thing rocks! I haven't even scratched the surface on this thing yet either! Got a whoooooole bunch of apps already loaded up, a crap load of ebooks and Pandora!

Very cool that when I was listening to the Pandora, and a call came in. It dropped the volume on the music while the call was on, then came back on it's own!

:thumbsup:

-hanko
11-10-2009, 7:31 AM
N900;)

-hanko

dude
11-10-2009, 10:10 PM
I looooooooove my Motorola DROID!! I was waiting for it and I finally got an Android 2.0 phone! It integrates so nicely with Gmail, Google contacts, Google calendar, and the maps/Navigation functionality is exceptional. My Garmin just broke, looks like I'll never buy a GPS again!

The screen is much better than the iPhone.. I think it has a higher resolution.

FreedomIsNotFree
11-11-2009, 4:34 PM
Several tethering apps exist for Android phones.

Not for 2.0 on the Droid.

FreedomIsNotFree
11-11-2009, 4:39 PM
Hold on,Telus is going to get the Droid next year (http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/11/09/telus-bringing-motorola-milestone-to-canada-in-early-2010/), which means you can use this with AT&T services.

The whole reason to move away from AT&T is typically because of their lackluster network. Why anyone would want a Droid on AT&T is puzzling to me.

FreedomIsNotFree
11-11-2009, 4:41 PM
Man, this thing rocks! I haven't even scratched the surface on this thing yet either! Got a whoooooole bunch of apps already loaded up, a crap load of ebooks and Pandora!

Very cool that when I was listening to the Pandora, and a call came in. It dropped the volume on the music while the call was on, then came back on it's own!

:thumbsup:

Although the Droid can multi-task beautifully, if you are running a lot of apps that are using quite a bit of resources you may want to run the kill task app. Works great for me.

steelrain82
11-11-2009, 5:28 PM
my contract with att is over but do i really want to sign onto another one? especially if i ever have to terminate service the fee is $350. thats my only problem

FreedomIsNotFree
11-12-2009, 8:29 AM
my contract with att is over but do i really want to sign onto another one? especially if i ever have to terminate service the fee is $350. thats my only problem

Th ETF changes for VZW don't start until the 15th. You still have a couple days if you want to old ETF of $175.

doughboy334
11-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Anything Android 2.0 coming out for Tmobile soon?

PonchoTA
11-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Putting Droid on T-Mobile is like putting a chandalier in a haunted house!

doughboy334
11-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Putting Droid on T-Mobile is like putting a chandalier in a haunted house!

:( But I rather not switch yet...

If I get a G1 Andrioid 2.0 will be upgraded on it eventually right?

5hundo
11-12-2009, 11:40 AM
I am actually considering the Droid because I'm on Verizon and I like the service. I have had AT&T back before the switch and when Cingular took over and it wrecked my service. I vowed never to go back to AT&T or Cingular but they're the only ones who offer the iPhone.

I had a few questions, though:

Does the droid have compatibility with iTunes, so I can load songs onto it?

Are all the same applications that are available with the iPhone available for the Droid? (I actually think a few of those apps are not "useless")

Bottom line: I would have an iPhone already if they offered it on the Verizon network but they don't. If the Droid is as good (or better) than the iPhone, I'd rather keep my Verizon service...

dude
11-12-2009, 1:08 PM
I am actually considering the Droid because I'm on Verizon and I like the service. I have had AT&T back before the switch and when Cingular took over and it wrecked my service. I vowed never to go back to AT&T or Cingular but they're the only ones who offer the iPhone.

Are all the same applications that are available with the iPhone available for the Droid? (I actually think a few of those apps are not "useless")

Bottom line: I would have an iPhone already if they offered it on the Verizon network but they don't. If the Droid is as good (or better) than the iPhone, I'd rather keep my Verizon service...

I don't use iTunes or anything Apple, so I dont know about that. When you connect the droid to a computer the included 16GB SD card shows up as a removable drive and I just copy music to the music folder. The included Music app is great.

The developers need to port apps to the Droid for it to be available. There are already a lot of apps. The phone works with Google services extremely well. Gmail, Calendar, Maps/GPS and everything else are great.

Test out the droid at a verizon store. Make sure you get the Motorola Droid, not the HTC Droid Eris, which is not worth it even though its $99.

Loner
11-12-2009, 6:34 PM
:( But I rather not switch yet...

If I get a G1 Andrioid 2.0 will be upgraded on it eventually right?
They've been able to hack the Google Maps Nav onto a G1 (http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/11/google-navigation-hacked-onto-t-mobile-g1/). So if 2.0 isn't officially released it can still be put on a G1 via other methods.

Vin496
11-12-2009, 7:42 PM

No iTunes is not compatible with Android, the Android is drag and drop as far as music and pics are concerned.

I believe the Android App store has around 10,000 apps, so the more popular apps are bound to be there.

The iPhone is heavily rumored to be going to Verizon in 2010, after their exclusive contract with ATT expires.

5hundo
11-12-2009, 8:06 PM
The iPhone is heavily rumored to be going to Verizon in 2010, after their exclusive contract with ATT expires.

I had heard that as well....

Mstrty
11-12-2009, 8:23 PM
I had heard that as well....

I have heard it too however I think it stems from Iphone lovers that want to play with Verizon. JMO

FreedomIsNotFree
11-13-2009, 12:43 AM

The Droid does not natively sync with iTunes, but Motorola makes a slick program, for free, that allows you to convert your iTunes music/video to the Droid. Its called Media Link (http://www.motorola.com/consumers/US-EN/Motorola-Media-Link-US-EN.do?vgnextoid=9502cf7689373210VgnVCM1000008806b0 0aRCRD).

Additionally, the Droid does read standard audio/video files that you can transfer to from your computer to the memory card(up to 32GB).

The Android operating system, the OS that drives the Droid, has over 12,000 apps available now, but the list is quickly growing by the day. The fact that Android is an "open OS" means developers have the code to not only write amazing apps, but also tweak the look and feel of the device.

The Droid is as good as the iphone is many ways...not as good in some...and better in some.

When AT&T loses their exclusive deal with Apple I would be very surprised NOT to see it on VZW.

Look Wat I kAn DO !
11-13-2009, 8:07 PM
I hate my HTC Touch Pro - the Touch-Flo is too slow and it freezes up a lot. I'm looking to upgrade to the Touch Pro 2, or bite the bullet and get a DROID.

My touch flow runs so smooth and i have the verizon TP . It has less program memory. Check out some cooked roms.

Look Wat I kAn DO !
11-13-2009, 8:16 PM
N900;)

-hanko

Hey, thats not even a phone it's a mobile computer. ;)

NIB
11-16-2009, 9:49 AM

I did read somewhere that you can listen to AAC music on the Droid as long as they are not DRM protected. If you can remove all the DRM off your itunes music then problem solved. I was actually going to use this as an excuse not to buy a Droid since I have 10 gigs of music in aac and another 10 gigs in mp3 format. But it looks like I'm running out of excuses.:D

I wouldn't worry too much about the app market right now for the droid. It is still pretty new but as the popularity grows I bet you will see more and more apps.

Davidoff
11-16-2009, 2:35 PM
I got the Droid on Friday, and 've been playing with it all weekend. My first smartphone was a Samsung n730 running Windows Mobile 5, and I hated the OS at the time. I went back to a "dumbphone" for a couple years with the LG EnV2. It was time for my "New Every Two" upgrade, so I decided to go back to a smartphone. I have been really happy with everything on the the Droid. There are lots of apps in the Android Marketplace, some useful but most useless. I am loving the barcode scanner app. When looking for cool apps on a PC (or other links), you can scan the 3D barcode from the PC monitor, giving you an automatic shortcut to that app or link. No need to try typing.

I am very confident that the release of the Droid will jumpstart the Marketplace and app developement. I was just reading an article that claimed that 23% of Android web traffic is already coming from Motorola Droids.

I am happy to jump on the bandwagon of an open source mobile OS. It means I have control, and if I screw it up it is nobody's fault but my own.

There is supposed to be flash 10 support coming with the Android 2.1 update, expected to be released in Q1 2010. Among many other benefits that flash provides, I expect it will be a boom to the pornography industry...

FreedomIsNotFree
11-16-2009, 2:41 PM
No need to remove DRM when you can easily convert everything, including video, with medialink.

Hans Gruber
11-16-2009, 5:10 PM
I got my Droid on Friday. Love it to pieces.

NIB
11-17-2009, 7:30 AM
No need to remove DRM when you can easily convert everything, including video, with medialink.

Can I still play converted music and videos on my ipod.

As of now my final excuse not to buy a Droid is service and repair. If I drop it or it goes haywire how will they fix it and will they still be available 3 years from now in case I need to buy another one?

Oh heck, I might as well start heading to the Verizon store anyways!:D

FreedomIsNotFree
11-17-2009, 1:49 PM
Can I still play converted music and videos on my ipod.

As of now my final excuse not to buy a Droid is service and repair. If I drop it or it goes haywire how will they fix it and will they still be available 3 years from now in case I need to buy another one?

Oh heck, I might as well start heading to the Verizon store anyways!:D

You don't need to permanently change all of your music. All you need to do is direct medialink to where your music/video files are and it will convert them as they are moved to the droid. Your itunes files remain untouched in whatever folder you have them.

In regards to service and repair, the phone has a 1 year manufacturers warranty and you can purchase an additional year of warranty if you go with the insurance. So, you can have 2 years of warranty plus coverage if your phone is lost or physically damaged. After 2 years you will want a new device..the industry is moving very quickly as of late.

Darklyte27
11-17-2009, 5:51 PM
HTC Touch Pro 2 or HTC HD2

Californio
11-17-2009, 6:29 PM
Is there a Tethering hack for the Droid?

Verizon says some time in 2010 for their Tethering with increased $$ of course.

FreedomIsNotFree
11-17-2009, 10:43 PM
HTC Touch Pro 2 or HTC HD2

So you like Windows Mobile...many don't. And its kinda funny that you mention the HD2 considering it hasn't even been released yet.

FreedomIsNotFree
11-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Is there a Tethering hack for the Droid?

Verizon says some time in 2010 for their Tethering with increased $$ of course.

I haven't come across anything for the Android 2.0 OS yet. VZW will absolutely charge for the tethering capability once it's available. The tethering will run you either $15 or $30 depending on which data plan you are currently on.

If you are going to use your device as if it were a Mobile Broadband card, they are going to charge you as if it were a MBB card...which is 59.99/month....with a 5GB limit. Data usage strictly to the device is unlimited.

Darklyte27
11-26-2009, 9:43 AM
So you like Windows Mobile...many don't. And its kinda funny that you mention the HD2 considering it hasn't even been released yet.

where is your proof? I and 3 other friends have the HTC TP2, its not a perfect 10 but a pretty nice phone. Yes its windows, and it has windows lag but I like the phone.

as the HD2 theres a thing called waiting?.. yes its not out yet but doesnt mean it wont.

rabagley
11-26-2009, 10:14 PM
If you want tethering, just follow the directions for pdanet. One time charge of $30 after the trial period. Don't abuse it and Vz will (probably) not come after you.

Acorn556
11-27-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm still holding out and hoping Apple will come to Verizon and offer them the iPhone so AT&T has no niche market and Apple makes money off everyone on Verizon who wants the iPhone but needs quality phone service.

kate59588
04-08-2010, 3:22 AM
How to employ optimal settings when converting videos to play on Motorola Droid? (http://www.pavtube.com/guide/convert-videos-to-motorola-droid-with-optimal-settings.html)

I downloaded a demo version and found it was definitly worth buying. One thing I liked about the demo version is that it no time and functions limitation. It allowed me to get a good idea of the file size to quality.

5150bronco
04-10-2010, 2:49 PM
I'm still holding out and hoping Apple will come to Verizon and offer them the iPhone so AT&T has no niche market and Apple makes money off everyone on Verizon who wants the iPhone but needs quality phone service.

me too for sure. it will come. i know it. The gods are on our side.