PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 and ARMS #40L backup rear sights.

Veggie
11-03-2009, 2:12 PM
Does this look right? I sighted it in for only about 40 yards. Seems wierd to me they would be so far right. But I am not an expert so that's why I am asking.

MasterYong
11-03-2009, 2:22 PM
Probably normal.

I know they're backup sights but I know that's typical for irons that come on standard A@2 (and others) style uppers. I had the same question about the sights on my DPMS A2 upper and got a lot of "that's normal" and such...

Sunshine
11-03-2009, 2:25 PM
It makes shooting weak side interesting

DarkHorse
11-03-2009, 2:39 PM
Does this look right?

It definitely doesn't look "left.":p

I sighted it in for only about 40 yards. Seems wierd to me they would be so far right. But I am not an export so that's why I am asking.

So you're an import?:D

But seriously, I'd think it's OK. The FSB could be slightly canted, the rail may be slightly off, etc. With tolerance stack-up from 4-5 parts, something like that is bound to exist, and still work.

-hanko
11-03-2009, 2:55 PM
Does this look right? I sighted it in for only about 40 yards. Seems wierd to me they would be so far right. But I am not an export so that's why I am asking.
What were your groups at 40 yds.?? I.e., what did the target look line once the rifle was sighted in??

-hanko

Veggie
11-03-2009, 3:34 PM
4 inch groupings or so without a rest. just sitting down at a small table in a field lol.

I am basically asking this to make sure my gun isn't messed up or something.

Purple K
11-03-2009, 3:38 PM
The Front sight/gas block is probably rotated a bit to the left.

MasterYong
11-03-2009, 5:52 PM
4" at 40 yds? Isn't that like 10 MOA?

OUCH

That probably isn't the sights though, unless they're shifting under recoil. How tight was that rear sight?

Veggie
11-03-2009, 5:54 PM
I wasnt on a rest and i was stoping between shots.

I am still learning. I know I should have done a few shots before i stop and look

MasterYong
11-03-2009, 6:03 PM
I wasnt on a rest and i was stoping between shots.

I am still learning. I know I should have done a few shots before i stop and look

OK cool. For some reason I thought your post said WITH a rest instead of without.

Your sights are probably fine though. It's definitely normal for the rear sight to need to be adjusted that much. It's not ideal but it's not a major issue.

Whenever I have a new firearm that I'm unfamiliar with, if I'm concerned that it may not be shooting accurately I find someone at the range that really knows what they're doing. Most folks at the range like the opportunity to shoot someone else's weapon, at least that's been my experience, so sometimes I let someone else shoot it just to see if it's just me or the gun. So far of the three times I've done this it's only been the gun once (needed front sight floated on a handgun, it was a bit off from the factory).

Artery
11-03-2009, 6:13 PM
I have the exact same setup and mine looks the same, way far to the right. When I posted a similar inquiry people told me I probably have a canted FSB or an improperly torqued barrel. It hasn't ever caused me any problems so I didn't do anything about it. 2,000 rounds later and no problems. It hasn't affected accuracy.

Veggie
11-03-2009, 6:13 PM
K was just curious. I need to take my ar to a range and try to sight it in properly